Year of the tacky notebook.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Rob Enderle, official ambassador to classless computing, is at it again. This time, with the tackiest notebook ever built. He actually has the nerve to suggest that "even Apple users admire" this kitchy Acer Laptop.

I guess PC companies will try ANYTHING to compete with Apple's style. They better come up with something better than this.

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,4149,1472864,00.asp

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    nwhyseenwhysee Posts: 151member
    Why Ferrari why? Don't stoop to the level of nimrods, be the elitist car manufacturer ive known and loved.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    Whats wrong with it? I mean really other than being bright solid red? I think it looks much better than a lot of other PC laptops on the market right now.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I do think it looks pretty good compared to most PC laptops. But it's not that different - really, the only difference I can see from your run of the mill laptop is that it's bright red. I would expect the insides to be nicer looking as well.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by SilentEchoes

Whats wrong with it? I mean really other than being bright solid red? I think it looks much better than a lot of other PC laptops on the market right now.

It's not that the Acer design is particularly bad, but that Ferrari had nothing to do with it whatsover. It's a hoax...a cheap marketing spoof that prooves Enderle has no idea what he's talking about. "Throngs of admirers?" Come on.

If the notebook was designed and built by Ferrari, it would probably be something worth looking at, a la Lacie drives designed F.A. Porsche. But that's just an Acer notebook, not much better or worse than other PC notebooks, rebranded with some immitation Ferrari red paint and a few stickers. Definitely not something to make a living writing about.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

One impressive piece of execution is that when you fire the machine up it plays a WAV file of a Ferrari race car revving its engine. That alone is worth the relatively low $1,899 price of admission. (I found it priced as low as $1,725 at PCVideoOnline.) Even when I'm in a meeting, I don't turn the sound off because of the unbridled envy that seems to show up in the eyes of my, granted mostly male, co-attendees. So far no one has complained.

THAT is supposed to be impressive? They have a startup sound?

Oh, and Rob... the reason no one's complained is that they don't want to embarrass you in public.

So the thing is red. Whoopdefrickindoo.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    as a pc user, i have grown acustom to tacky hardware, all hplaptops, multi-colord p2-late p3 compaq presario, and yes, the old apple colored crt (imac like but on a swivle, wtf was apple thinking?) but this laptop takes the cake,i would give up computing if that was the only option
  • Reply 7 of 20
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    It looks like a bad mixture of the AlBook and iPod Mini painted red.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    Ahh... They do try
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Oh yeah, this HAS to be the most beautiful PC ever!!!11!11!

Yes, I AM kidding
  • Reply 10 of 20
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    That IBM ain't pretty, but at least it's not harlot red. It would blend in with the bulky Dells and the what-are-they-thinking HPs. And if the R series is anything like the T series, it would be well built and it would have a great keyboard.

Honestly, if it wasn't that shade of red it wouldn't be a terrible looking PC notebook, as far as they go. But it still isn't a great design. Why they didn't let Ferrari (or Pininfarina) design the whole thing is beyond me. I'm sure they could do a lot better. Sony does better when they aren't even trying.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    It's no Mac, but it's better than most PCs. I had to laugh at the AMD ad on the site though. Check it out and you'll understand.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

II had to laugh at the AMD ad on the site though. Check it out and you'll understand.

haha, You gotta love marketing . Who says its industry standard anyways?
  • Reply 13 of 20
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I wonder if what they say about middle-aged men and red sports cars applies to computers too?

Idiot.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    What it needs is a couple Mad Speed stickers and a giant spoiler!
  • Reply 15 of 20
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    it is as if no serious design professional looks at these PC notebooks...i mean has NO ONE realized that the frontal left or right-sliding tab as an opening contraption is the ugliest thing ever? and god i don't know what i would do if my notebook didn't have a purple legacy printer port!
  • Reply 16 of 20
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    I think the auto-paint red sounds pretty nice, but the inside should have an equally quality look. (edit: those of you guys who are dissing the red paint itself, do you realize the difference between this and regular red paint?)

Ferrari racecar revving up is a heartwarming sound as well, but making it a starup sound? And in business context? The guy will (continue to) look like a total moron in every single meeting he goes to.

And what's with the specs? Most curiously, what is a Radeon 9200 doing in there?
  • Reply 17 of 20
    dviantdviant Posts: 483member
    I'm sorry but that thing is just dumb. Co-branding gone wild!1!1!!1! Think they can convince Tom Selleck to reprise his role as Magnum P.I. for a TV spot? :P
  • Reply 18 of 20
    jadejade Posts: 379member
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by psgamer0921

[B]Oh yeah, this HAS to be the most beautiful PC ever!!!11!11!

I beg to differ...this one is the winner (well in real life)

stylish notebook
  • Reply 19 of 20
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    I have no idea how my post ended up here
  • Reply 20 of 20
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    Not the worst thing I've ever seen. Certainly not as bad as some of the compaqs I've been around and as for that think pad I'd call it ruggedly beautiful. Any think pad I've ever used was a decent box better than the vaios I've used.