Florida kidnapping and murder

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
[Buon's note: I split this from the combined thread about this topic and the Moscow bombing.

The news out of Florida]

That Florida story has really affected me man... now that I have 2 girls of my own I suppose, these kinds of things really hit home.

What that family is going through... I can't even imagine.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

That Florida story has really affected me man... now that I have 2 girls of my own I suppose, these kinds of things really hit home.

Me too . . .

I read it last night and while I was sleeping I had my first nightmare about not being able to see my daughter

She is 14 months old and if anything were to happen to her I could not live . . . absolutely COULD NOT!!!

It is so sad that I am crying even now . . . . . .
  • Reply 2 of 30
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

[Buon's note: I split this from the combined thread about this topic and the Moscow bombing.

The news out of Florida]

I hava also two girls. These kinds of things really scare me. The same dumb criminal horseshit irrelevant bloody ****ing stupid asshole exist everywhere. There is not any single years, where i do not hear such terrible stories.
  • Reply 3 of 30
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Sad, but I seriously hope the news media doesn't lionize Carlie Brucia in the same manner as every other case they overplayed. I hope the media doesn't use the poor girl as another excuse to fill 24 hour time slots and increase ratings. It's dehumanizing generally speaking and very disrespectful for Carlie specifically. I think there's a right way to handle cases like this in the national media, but I'm not sure we've seen it yet.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    well, don't worry too much. nationally, females 5-9 and 10-14 years old have the highest survival rate (chance of surving 5 more years in this case) @ around 99.9% this is higher than any other age group, as infant mortality means 0-4 age group is slightly lower (99.75% survival) and from age 20 until death survival rate decreases steaadily (chance of surviving coming 5 years).

so, your 5-14 year old daughter is more likely to survive than any other sex/age combination.

geeks like me take comfort in such statistics
  • Reply 5 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by progmac

well, don't worry too much. nationally, females 5-9 and 10-14 years old have the highest survival rate (chance of surving 5 more years in this case) @ around 99.9% this is higher than any other age group, as infant mortality means 0-4 age group is slightly lower (99.75% survival) and from age 20 until death survival rate decreases steaadily (chance of surviving coming 5 years).

so, your 5-14 year old daughter is more likely to survive than any other sex/age combination.

geeks like me take comfort in such statistics

I did not thinked that a girl have less chances to survive than boys. I am just scared that this type of predator are not way along my home and may threaten my childs.
  • Reply 6 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

I did not thinked that a girl have less chances to survive than boys. I am just scared that this type of predator are not way along my home and may threaten my childs.

yeah, boys have about a 0.01% lower survival rate than gals in every age group. boys 5-9 have around a 99.7% and 10-14 99.8%

we just live in a country where when one out of the approximate 27,000,000 girls 5-14 in the US is involved in something horrific, everyone knows about it.
  • Reply 7 of 30
    Quote:

yeah, boys have about a 0.01% lower survival rate than gals in every age group. boys 5-9 have around a 99.7% and 10-14 99.8%

we just live in a country where when one out of the approximate 27,000,000 girls 5-14 in the US is involved in something horrific, everyone knows about it.

Many more child, boy or girls disappear each year in our countries. And many may have encounter the same fate. So i don't think it's only one out of 27 000 000.
  • Reply 8 of 30
    Quote:

Many more child, boy or girls disappear each year in our countries. And many may have encounter the same fate. So i don't think it's only one out of 27 000 000.

a great site is the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (i think that is the name) which is here: http://www.missingkids.com

seems the site is down (probably swamped because of recent case...here is the google cache of their stats & FAQ page...it is very interesting (http://www.missingkids.com/missingki...hl=en&ie=UTF-8" target="_blank">http://216.239.57.104/search?q=cache...n&ie=UTF-8</a>; )

it says that approximately 100 kids are kidnapped and murdered by a non-family member each year. assuming these are 70% girls (just a guess), that makes the likelihood probably around [ 70/ (27,000,000 girls 5-14 + number of girls 0-4 and 15-18) ]. this would obviously be miniscule, but knowing that there is even an ultra-remote chance has to be disconcerning to a father. as a matter of reason, however, you can increase the likelihood of your daughter's survival many times more by doing simple things like regular health checkups, buckling her seatbelt, living somewhere that does not require frequent car-based trips, etc.
  • Reply 9 of 30
    Quote:

a great site is the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (i think that is the name) which is here: http://www.missingkids.com

seems the site is down (probably swamped because of recent case...here is the google cache of their stats & FAQ page...it is very interesting (http://www.missingkids.com/missingki...hl=en&ie=UTF-8" target="_blank">http://216.239.57.104/search?q=cache...n&ie=UTF-8</a>; )

it says that approximately 100 kids are kidnapped and murdered by a non-family member each year. assuming these are 70% girls (just a guess), that makes the likelihood probably around [ 70/ (27,000,000 girls 5-14 + number of girls 0-4 and 15-18) ]. this would obviously be miniscule, but knowing that there is even an ultra-remote chance has to be disconcerning to a father. as a matter of reason, however, you can increase the likelihood of your daughter's survival many times more by doing simple things like regular health checkups, buckling her seatbelt, living somewhere that does not require frequent car-based trips, etc.

Thanks for your contribution. You are right this stories are very rare indeed. However i am carefull with my daughters : we don't allow her to go alone to school, we made her regular health chekcups, we bucking here seat belts ... and many others things, that most parents do.
  • Reply 10 of 30
    Quote:

Thanks for your contribution. You are right this stories are very rare indeed. However i am carefull with my daughters : we don't allow her to go alone to school, we made her regular health chekcups, we bucking here seat belts ... and many others things, that most parents do.

sure...there is no reason to take unnecessary risks, and there are so many children in this country that would be blessed to have a parent as good as you.
  • Reply 11 of 30
    carol acarol a Posts: 1,043member
    When I was 7, my family moved to Mexico for 3 1/2 years. We lived in a Hilton hotel for the first 6 months (as I mentioned in another thread). For awhile, my mom drove me to school and picked me up.

But for maybe four or five months (I was in third grade - 8 years old), I would get dressed, go downstairs by myself to the hotel coffee shop, order breakfast, charge it to the suite, take my little satchel, go out to the cabstand, and take a cab to school. A third grader? Can you imagine such a scenario these days? I don't think so.

I read a statistic not long ago that said 1 out of every 5 females is sexually assaulted at some time during their lives. I was assaulted (grabbed from behind) one night when I was locking up my car near my condo. When he jammed his fist in my back and said, don't scream, I have a gun - well, I could tell it wasn't a gun, and I started screaming. He ran off.

One of my current students was abducted from a bus stop and sexually assaulted last year when she was 11. He fastened her hands to the headboard of his bed with handcuffs. At least he let her go and didn't kill her. She has never spoken a word in class.

I haven't read the article about the girl in the news yet. But I sometimes think that people who commit truly heinous crimes should be made to suffer - preferably by having done to them EXACTLY what they did to their victim. Lethal injection is WAY too easy an out for such scum.

Anybody agree with that?
  • Reply 12 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carol A

Lethal injection is WAY too easy an out for such scum.

Yeah! Who cares that no punishment is as ultimate and final as death when we can TORTURE the ****er.
  • Reply 13 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnJ

Yeah! Who cares that no punishment is as ultimate and final as death when we can TORTURE the ****er.

I just think it might be fitting if he got a taste of his own medicine. After all, some little girl or boy suffered the exact same thing at his hands. And he got PLEASURE from their suffering!!!!!

What about the guy (in California?) who cut off a 14 yr. old girl's forearms so he could rape her without resistance?

What about the guy in Denver who assaulted a three year old, and then threw her down into the muck of a national park outdoor toilet, where she spent a day or two. She was quietly singing a song when they found her.

Surely you understand that I'm speaking from anger? That's why they seek people for juries who can be relatively neutral. I can't be neutral and dispassionate when it comes to the torture and murder of children.
  • Reply 14 of 30
    I understand. I think that's a great way to put it too.
  • Reply 15 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnJ

I understand. I think that's a great way to put it too.

Thanks.
  • Reply 16 of 30
    Here is what to do.

1) Castrate him

2) Peel his skin off one square inch at a time

3) Toss what is left (while he is still alive) to the sharks

My wife feels the same way and she is one of the most forgiving and compassionate people on the planet.
  • Reply 17 of 30
    dviantdviant Posts: 483member
    Lethal injection is far too easy for sub-humans like this guy...
  • Reply 18 of 30
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Hulegu Khan had a particularly useful form of torture: cut of bits of the victim's own flesh and force feed them to him until he chokes to death

• Reply 19 of 30
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carol A

What about the guy (in California?) who cut off a 14 yr. old girl's forearms so he could rape her without resistance?

What about the guy in Denver who assaulted a three year old, and then threw her down into the muck of a national park outdoor toilet, where she spent a day or two. She was quietly singing a song when they found her.

That is some seriously fvcked up shit. I looked up the first one just to get the whole story, and....damn. What do you say?

Anyway, I can't think of a good way to punished these people. Putting them in constant pain for years (constant fresh bruns, for instance) just doesn't seem like enough. Some of them are too crazy to even understand (like the freak in the first one you cited). The only think I can think of is to just do away with them. Pop, he's gone.

BTW: The guy who cut off the girls arms actually got out after ~15 years. Guess what he did after he was released? Here's a hint: he's locked up again and some kids have no mom. That's a situation for the cops to turn a blind eye to vigilante justice if I ever saw one.
  • Reply 20 of 30
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Our society has to get out of this "liberal" attitude of "correction and rehabilitation" for pedophiles, these are predatory and obsessive, they will continue till caught, they need to be identified early as they "try" more provocative actions, and taken out of society. We need to realize that they are truly evil.... the media will make Him the victim, we should not rest till the murderer comes to justice namely death sentence.

The failure of the court system and "soft" juries, if they had done there job including the probation board this little girl would be alive. The juries that passed "easy" sentence on this scum should have nightmares.

I've got a 2 1/2 little girl, if something like that happened I don''t know if i could live. I'd have no problem kidnapping that scum and using an axe slowly.....

It's such a painful shame, and i can't even imagine the pain of that family

I hug my little one closer to me.