Which Mac has/had best personality?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hey guys just wondering which product has/had the most character to you? I have a new PB and iMac FP, but I love to look at all the older Macs on ebay and all the processor upgrades out there. I want to get something and tinker with it. I think I want to start collecting some older Macs and upgrade them for the fun of it. I love the cube and I know there are a lot of people that swear by them. Give me some ideas. What machines do ya'll just love?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    Good lord, the original iMac...still one of the most beautiful pieces of technology in my opinion. It's just incredible, I still look at it and wonder if it would sell. God, I love it.

What's more? I own the G4 Cube, the Flat Panel iMac, a PowerBook, AND the original iMac...of all of those the first iMac is definately the most memorable with the most spunk! haha
  • Reply 2 of 20
    Yeah, I might looking into getting one of those and an upgrade for it. By the way, I'm a switcher (hate that word) and wasn't into Macs back then. But love them now.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    The "Flower Power" iMacs...I still remember the song "She comes in colors..." which played in the commercial. The only computer which changed personality depending upon the flavor chosen.

Second place, the Cube. Still nothing else like it.

You also can't dismiss every PowerBook out there, all of which develop some sort of strange attraction to their owners.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    Cube. End of story. I'm on one right now, and it has been serving me faithfully for the past 4 years. I will never sell this computer. If it ever bites it, it goes in my yet-to-be-constructed Apple shrine. Most amazing computer ever made. It'll be hard when I do finally have to get a new machine, I won't be able to let this little guy go.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member

and then upgrade it:

• Reply 6 of 20
    dglowdglow Posts: 147member
    Color Classic!
  • Reply 7 of 20
    Honestly, I think the new flat-panel iMac has the most character. At least, the most "human" character. It's essentialist design is more natural and logical than the original iMac and earlier AIO Macs. Each component is a sort of appendage that fulfills certain ergonomic requirements independently, yet still interacts with the "whole" of the machine. While the visual personality of the original iMac may seem strong, in the end I think it's a flat graphic or iconic personality rather than a personality based on mannerisms or "behaviors."

The cube may be the coolest computer ever, but it has only a drop of personality. I would say, in fact, that the cube marked the end of personality in professional machines for Apple. The philisophical basis for the cube's design, reductionism/deconstructionism necessitates a cold, shallow surface where references to the human visual vernacular are held at bay. The vent on top of the cube certainly references the American visual vernacular of the '50's. Think Art Deco, Miami Beach. Now, I also think the new PowerBooks, PowerMacs, and Xserves better fulfill these minimalist requirements and are thusly even more shallow than the cube.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dglow

Color Classic!

YEAH!

I have a Color Classic and it has a lot of personality! ...derrrr.. when it's turned on.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    In my opinion, in order:

iMac CRT (Rev. A-D in particular)

Color Classic

Duo 280c

White iBooks

Powerbook 100 series

SE/30

Clamshell iBooks

Performa 6400

Not necessarily best of breed, but certainly the friendliest. I've owned, at one time or another, all except the Duo, PB 100, Clamshell, and Performa. Damned if I didn't want that Performa at the time, though.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    nijiniji Posts: 288member
    1. bondi blue iMac

2. cube

3. aluminium 12" powerbook
  • Reply 11 of 20
    i say the g5. its big, simple, and badass.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    20th ann. mac. Plus the iMac, iMac 2, Classic and Color Classic. Key Lime iBooks are sharp too!
  • Reply 13 of 20
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Well for me, it goes like this for good personality.

Powerbook 180- The granddaddy of all that is good in Powerbookland today. It is the OG of them all.

Mac Plus - This one was cool just because of the add ons. All the different external hd cases and also different types of external fans were kind of neat. The plus was cooled by convection before the iMac was a twinkle in someone's eye. Of course it ran a bit too hot for some tastes and so all these cool add on fans were created. The two combined made for many different types of variations.

Mac SE/30 - This machine was the first powerful portable Mac. People would carry these things everywhere and slapped all sorts of things into the one PDS slot. The most power in the smallest space at the time.

Mac IIci - The first machine, when turned on it's side next to a large monitor that ever inspired pure techno lust in me. This is the "mini-tower" that so many Mac guys are still begging for in future hardware today.

Mac Classic - The first sub $1000 Mac which were snapped up carted everywhere by many a college student. I settled on the Classic II and here is what you have to do to make it reflect the time it was used in. You have to buy a plastic mouse holder which you then attach to the side of the machine. You then take the mouse, place it in the holder and take the mini-keyboard, set it on top and hold it in conjunction with the one power cord with your hand in the handle. This allowed you and your Mac to travel about evangelizing, go to fellow Mac users houses for LAN gaming via Appletalk, or just let all your poor friends type up their term papers. To be really cool you have to add the various rainbow Apple stickers that came in every Mac at the time.

iBook - The iceBook is obviously the modern day version of what I just described above. They may not have quite the sex appeal but it is obvious that they have a lot of personality and love lavished on them.

Pismo Powerbook - I just use to stare at those curves... very yummy.

Ti Powerbook - One inch thick says it all. I have the Powerbook G4-500 and it still looks and runs better than any PC laptop you could hand me today. Plus it is a sexy beast.

Quicksilver G4 Tower - The best looking of the G4 towers in my opinion.

The G5- enough said.

iMac - I thought these really hit their stride from about 350 mhz and up until the end. Quiet, convection cooling, slot loading, great trade-offs for size, power, etc. They are awesome machines.

Nick
  • Reply 14 of 20
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Michael Wilkie

Honestly, I think the new flat-panel iMac has the most character. At least, the most "human" character. It's essentialist design is more natural and logical than the original iMac and earlier AIO Macs. Each component is a sort of appendage that fulfills certain ergonomic requirements independently, yet still interacts with the "whole" of the machine. While the visual personality of the original iMac may seem strong, in the end I think it's a flat graphic or iconic personality rather than a personality based on mannerisms or "behaviors."

The cube may be the coolest computer ever, but it has only a drop of personality. I would say, in fact, that the cube marked the end of personality in professional machines for Apple. The philisophical basis for the cube's design, reductionism/deconstructionism necessitates a cold, shallow surface where references to the human visual vernacular are held at bay. The vent on top of the cube certainly references the American visual vernacular of the '50's. Think Art Deco, Miami Beach. Now, I also think the new PowerBooks, PowerMacs, and Xserves better fulfill these minimalist requirements and are thusly even more shallow than the cube.

i concur. the new iMac has been the only iMac that has truly said "hi" to me. it also can have a curious pose, a serious pose, and a friendly pose.

in my opinion, it is the best designed computer ever. and the ugliest? probably my emac
  • Reply 15 of 20
    Quote:

iMac - I thought these really hit their stride from about 350 mhz and up until the end. Quiet, convection cooling, slot loading, great trade-offs for size, power, etc. They are awesome machines.

On second thought, the iMac DVSE Graphite might be the most elegant looking computer Apple has ever designed. I love it.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    as an outsider looking in, the most elegant mac would be the quick-silver g4, i like it and all but the G5 is sooooo much cooler, not elegant but it screams "DONT MESS WITH ME I'M A BAD MOTHER (steve jobs: 'shut your mouth!')" and that it is
  • Reply 17 of 20
    mmmm Sage iMac
  • Reply 18 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by k squared

On second thought, the iMac DVSE Graphite might be the most elegant looking computer Apple has ever designed. I love it.

Hehe --- I was inches, INCHES away from getting that exact model for my first "individual" Mac (that would be mine and not the family's). However, being in the store (CompUSA --- before we had an Apple Store) I saw the cheap, recently-discontinued Yosemite G3 towers and got one. And I still have it! And I would have to say it really has the most personality out of any Apple product I've owned (including this PowerBook). It's just a very lively, inviting computer that doesn't scream arrogance or try to compete. It was the best because it WAS. I mean, can't you all remember completely melting when Steve opened up the case the first time?

I love being a Mac user!

P.S. --- I share the "eBay" affliction for old Macs. Would anybody recommend the PowerBook 2400?
  • Reply 19 of 20
    iMac2. I'm married, but if I wasn't, I know it would help me get chicks....
  • Reply 20 of 20
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Quote:

Originally posted by k squared

I have to agree.