Looking to buy an MP3 player, but....

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I actually want one that isn't portable, so I can permanently connect it as a seperate to my hi-fi.

I think it needs to have 40+ GB harddrive, USB2 or Firewire, well, it really needs to be an iPod, but stretched to fit!

Any ideas

Alternatively, I might buy an iPod, but Apple doesnt list the stereo connection kit as available in the UK,

I know I can take a lead from the phones socket, into the aux, but could I dock, it and have it running off mains power at the same time. Id like to get the pure unequalized sound out of the unit, is this possible through the headphone socket.

thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Hmm. Sounds like you want a TiVo. I *think* they do wireless streaming now. I can't remember the details of it all.... I just plug my iPod into the av/2 jack of my system when I want it. It's not ideal and there's no remote but it does the job.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    guestguest Posts: 112member
    Sony had a component like this about 2 years ago. 40 GB HD, cd player for ripping, titles displayed on your tv set. It didn't sell well in the US. You might be able to find one available for sale if you search. I saw them in the JandR catalog.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    The iPod dock has got a line out on the back of it. I've got a couple of them hooked up like that. Works a treat, and means you can use it as a portable without unplugging and then just drop it back in when you get back.

All you need's a cable that splits out from a 3.5mm jack to red and white phono connects. About £3 from Maplins if you're not going to be all stereophile about it.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Maybe look into a Creative Labs Nomad Jukebox. They have a smallish one called the "Zen," but their larger ones have some really huge hard drives. They also tend to be very bulky, but that's an advantage for you, so maybe try that out. You could also get an old desktop computer (say, a beige G3) and set it up with a big hard drive and iTunes to store all your music on. Of course, that might be a bit too big...
  • Reply 5 of 17
    Sounds like you want an Escient Fireball. They're pricey though, but damn cool.

http://www.escient.com/fireballe40120.html
  • Reply 6 of 17
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    What about an elgato eyehome, it doesnt have the hdd gear inside it but it streams via cable or wireless from your mac (vid or audio)..
  • Reply 7 of 17
    dviantdviant Posts: 483member
    Only thing you need for a "stereo connection kit" is a mini-jack to set of rca plugs. Not sure what you have near you but you can easily get something like that in a Radioshack or Best Buy here in the US. And like someone says the dock it ships with has a mini-jack line out so it makes it easier to keep connected to your stereo and still be able to use it on the road as well.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    2 ideas:

1: get an x-box, mod chip, 80 gb hdd

2: find an old dvd player (or any with a WIDE AND NORMAL case, not the litte funky deals they sell now) and replace the logic board with a fanless mini itx, install a pc cdrom and a laptop hdd and a small pwr supply, install / mod a linux distro
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Marc,

The iPod solution will work perfectly. All you need is an iPod, a dock (which you'd get with the 40 GB version), and a cable like this one as suggested by a couple of people already. Alternatively, the home stereo kit is available in the UK. This would mean you could have a dock connected to your computer, and a dock connected to the hi-fi system permanently . You'd be using the line level output, so assuming you set the iPod's equaliser to 'off', you'd be getting the raw sound, unaltered by the headphone volume control.

Cheers,

Dave.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    lainlain Posts: 140member
    I suggest a Nomad JukeBox 3, because it has a home docking kit, with an IR Remote Control and 2 line outs for upto 4 speakers. The line out volume is fixed at maximum. I also believe that the player has a powerfull amp, this will be good for sound quality when played through your Hi-Fi.

Go here and click on the "Tour" button.

http://australia.creative.com/produc...udio/jukebox3/

Its not as portable as more modern players, but on the occasional outing its fine.

edit: The amp in the Nomad jukebox is 100mW, iPod its 60mW.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    Thanks for a lot of useful replies,

I looked hard at the iPods' dock...

As I understand it, the dock connects to my computer through its own firewire cable, and if the computer is on, it will recharge the iPod. I then connect the docks line-out to my hi-fi.

I'm a bit unsure what Apple are trying to tell me on the AC adapter info. What does the AC adapter connect too? Is it the iPod, or the dock. Can I power the iPod with the AC adapter whilst it is connected to the dock to listen to music, or does it kinda go into recharge mode with no output?

Sadly, I cant see a way of recording to the ipod via a line-in, which the Jukebox 3 does have as standard, Am I right that the Belkin voice recorder only includes a microphone and no line in.

Sadly, again the 20GB iPod, with belkin is about £100 - $170 more than the jukebox 3, which might be a significant factor.

Ta

{edit} - If I use the iPod in AC mode 99% of the time, will this knacker the battery?
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Mark,

The dock connects to the computer using the firewire cable, like you said. But the clever bit is that the D-shaped firewire connector that normally plugs in to the computer can also be used to connect to the power adaptor, which plugs straight in to the mains supply. Therefore, all you need is a 20 or 40 GB iPod and a standard, easily available cable to connect from the dock line out to the two phono connectors on your hi-fi/amp.

I think that when the iPod is plugged in to the mains, it will start charging if it needs it. However, I don't know what would happen if you were playing music and the battery was full. Perhaps someone else knows...?

As for recording straight to the iPod, AFAIK, you can't do that except by using the voice recorder, and I think that uses a mic, so I guess no line in recording . However, if it's CD's you're after, couldn't you just rip it in to iTunes, then sync to the iPod?

Hope that makes sense .

Dave.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Have you thought about just using your computer connected to your hi-fi setup?
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by k squared

Have you thought about just using your computer connected to your hi-fi setup?

Yes, this is what Im doing at the moment. Id like to sepereate the two, because I dont always want the computer on, because it makes so much noise on its own - which is drowned out ususally by the volume I can listen to stuff at!,

And I may be an extreme purist, but I think its technical overkill to have 4ghz of processing power activated, just to listen to music! I also have hangups about running unnecessary background tasks while im in Cinema4d

And I dont want to lose 10GB of HD for my CDS, so I figure I'd feel happier about seperating the tasks.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Incidentally, I just d/l and read the iPod's manual. I think I am pretty clear, but there are just 2 questions remaining.

1) When the dock is connected to the AC, does the iPod function as normal, or does it go into recharge only mode.

2) In relation to Q1's anser being normal operation - If I leave the dock permanently connected to the AC, will this knacker the battery?

Thanks all!
  • Reply 16 of 17
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MarcUK

Incidentally, I just d/l and read the iPod's manual. I think I am pretty clear, but there are just 2 questions remaining.

1) When the dock is connected to the AC, does the iPod function as normal, or does it go into recharge only mode.

2) In relation to Q1's anser being normal operation - If I leave the dock permanently connected to the AC, will this knacker the battery?

Thanks all!

1) The iPod plays just find if it's connected to the AC.

2) The iPod battery probably will get overused in this scenario, but the iPod will work even if the battery is dead as long as it's in the dock and the AC is plugged in.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    lainlain Posts: 140member
    2 problems with the Nomad on the Mac.

1.) Creative no longer supply drivers for it. So you have to find the old ones somewhere on the net.

2.) The drivers that do exist only work with USB.

But I could be wrong.