Apple's asinine defaults cost me 1 year of emails.

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rrabu

HOM, you can get all of your email back.

Pretty much any mail server keeps backups so if you make a request to the administrator of the server your IMAP account is on, they can recover all of your email from their backups. That's why it is smart to leave important data on servers managed by IT groups. They do all the work of keeping regular backups for you.

Well I get my email from Dot Mac and having been in contact with them there is no way to get my emails back. Apple's official policy is not to store any copies of your mail outside of you individual mailbox for privacy reasons. So the emails have gone the way of the Dodo. On the bright side, I'm not the only one that is having issues with Mail.crap's default setting. About 1/3 of all the posts in the Mail.crap Dot Mac support forum are related to emails being deleted by accidently being transfered to the trash.

This is why the destructive behavior should never ever be the default behavior and should always be accompanied by a warning message.
  • Reply 22 of 34
    ya know, it isnt mail.app's fault you dragged your inbox into the trash.
  • Reply 23 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

ya know, it isnt mail.app's fault you dragged your inbox into the trash.

Right, but it is Mail.crap's fault that the default behavior is destructive which is what I have been saying this entire time.

*sigh*
  • Reply 24 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

How was your problem caused by Mail.app's default behavior. You did a lot of work in preparation for your mail's deletion. If you don't want mail deleted, then don't put it in the trash. And if you do, then take responsibility for your own actions.

hes absolutely right, it's a stupid default option..stop being such a fanboy for 10 minutes and realize it
  • Reply 25 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by HOM

The default behavior should never be destructive regardless of how long it has been in the trash. Based on the option, I can't really tell what it is basing the week on.

Although it has to be mail that is older then 7 days because the mail was only in the trash for about 2 hours and the only messages that survived were ones sent in the last week. Oh, and the check next to "never" is because as soon as I found this feature, I disabled it.

I have never adjusted the setting on my mail.app, and it has always been set to "never" (just checked the settings). Apparently that was the default setting...at least on this copy of "Mail".
  • Reply 26 of 34
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by HOM

Right, but it is Mail.crap's fault that the default behavior is destructive which is what I have been saying this entire time.

*sigh*

I'm kind of inclined to agree hat it's your fault here. You need to set up the mail account and yet you didn't bother to click through 2 tabs to ensure your configurations were right. Apple shouldn't have it set that way but it's still ultimately your fault. Take some responsibility or God help you when you have to actually deal with some less intuitive and more complex interfaces or even one that requires a little attention to detail.
  • Reply 27 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

I'm kind of inclined to agree hat it's your fault here. You need to set up the mail account and yet you didn't bother to click through 2 tabs to ensure your configurations were right. Apple shouldn't have it set that way but it's still ultimately your fault. Take some responsibility or God help you when you have to actually deal with some less intuitive and more complex interfaces or even one that requires a little attention to detail.

Well, I didn't have to set anything up. Panther's set up assistant set up my dot mac account for me when I entered the proper info. I do take responsibility for my actions like I said many times above, I made a mistake and I didn't have a recent back up. But as I also said above, if Apple's default followed good UI design my mistake would not have been so damaging.

Like I also said above the Dot Mac message board is full of people in a similar situation. This is why the default behavior should never be destructive. Software should not punish a user for making a mistake.

I don't get why this is so controversial. I fücked up, I get it. Does that absolve Apple from making lousy software?
  • Reply 28 of 34
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by HOM

I don't get why this is so controversial. I fücked up, I get it. Does that absolve Apple from making lousy software?

It's not lousy software because you ****ed up. I'd almost be inclined to say it's technically lousy UI design to have the trash hold anything at all, since it is the trash and all. But, it should at least mimic the desktop trash, or simply use it instead of a trash that's Mail only.
  • Reply 29 of 34
    Quote:

I have never adjusted the setting on my mail.app, and it has always been set to "never" (just checked the settings). Apparently that was the default setting...at least on this copy of "Mail".

I second that mine was set to never as well.
  • Reply 30 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr Beardsley

I second that mine was set to never as well.

Are you running Panther and if so did you upgrade or do a clean install from Jaguar? I would be interested to know if the default in Jaguar was set to never, but the default in a clean install of Panther was set to one week.
  • Reply 31 of 34
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by HOM

Does that absolve Apple from making lousy software?

Well the point is it isn't so much that the software is lousy as much as that one setting is stupid. I'm yet to find any piece of software that doesn't have at least one flaw.
  • Reply 32 of 34
    regreg Posts: 832member
    The defaults in panther are :Sent - never, Junk - never, Trash - one week.

reg
  • Reply 33 of 34
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    except from an IMAP perspective, it makes perfect sense to delete week old messages in the trash.

too many people keep hundreds of megs in their trash because they're too ignorant or lazy to actually delete messages in the trash.

although i do think it would be a nice option if there were a massive move of files to the trash that were about to be deleted to have a confirmation box.

it would solve both the over filled IMAP servers as well as taking car of the accidental deletion problem.
  • Reply 34 of 34
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    If I were you I wouldn't have done that Just playing man that sucks\ It is a bad idea to have that as a default. It's understandable to have it to that but it should give a warning with a possibility to check (don't show this again) or whatever...although I don't really like that clutter either, but sometimes it's needed I guess.

I do think that it should delete email in the trash folder that have been there over a week not just over a week old. Is there anyway to change this?

**switches to mail and changes it to never**