Can't upgrade Safare

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Am I the only one that is upset because I can't upgrade Safare since I still run OSX2?

I'm still getting comfortable with OS2 and am not ready for Panther. Apple can do these upgrades to other apps and leave OSX2 users behind.

Apple has been greedy from the beginning and still continue doing so.

I may be 70, but apparently have not mellowed on my old age.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hstierho

Am I the only one that is upset because I can't upgrade Safare since I still run OSX2?

I'm still getting comfortable with OS2 and am not ready for Panther. Apple can do these upgrades to other apps and leave OSX2 users behind.

Apple has been greedy from the beginning and still continue doing so.

I may be 70, but apparently have not mellowed on my old age.

What is it that you want to do with Safari 1.2 that you can't do with Safari 1.0?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    What's more, I think most everyone would say that Panther is quite an improvement over Jaguar. The new Finder and Exposé are, IMO, worth the price of admission. And I never realized how ugly and jarring those pinstripes were until I installed Panther and no longer have to look at them.

It's just moving forward, like things do.

I'm not a techie geek so I can't speak to all the underlying reasons, but I'm guessing there are things about Panther that allow Apple to update their various iApps and other software to take advantage of these Panther-only technologies and features? There are probably things that Jaguar is simply incapable of doing or supporting, so these latest updates to things are, yep, Panther-only.

Instead of being upset that you can't use the latest stuff from Apple with "last year's OS", wouldn't it just be easier - in the long run - to consider moving to Panther? Why not "get used to" OS X on the latest and nicest version of it?

It's not so different that you'll not use anything you've learned so far in Jaguar, BUT it's different enough that I consider it quite an improvement in efficiency, navigation, window and file management, etc.

Panther almost makes Jaguar look like the Public Beta or 10.1.

• Reply 3 of 4
    stevesteve Posts: 523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

I'm not a techie geek so I can't speak to all the underlying reasons, but I'm guessing there are things about Panther that allow Apple to update their various iApps and other software to take advantage of these Panther-only technologies and features?

It's that queer little search field, with the magnifying glass. In Panther, it's a native widget, while in 10.2 apps, it's a cheap knock-off. OmniWeb's, for example, is a custom-made one (and it's nastily aliased, I might add).
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Actually Safari 1.2 uses a number of things that are only in the Panther system so it's not just Apple trying to get you mad.