2.1x what is this crap

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Why is iTunes so slow to import music?

I have a 32x drive fercrissakes, I should be getting AT LEAST 15x

A friend of mine on his PC with musicmatch, gets 30x+ ripping speeds, he has a 52x drive why must iTunes be so slow in comparison?

I think it rips faster when I do .aac but it still should be faster than that.

what's the deal?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Your CD drive doesn't rip MP3s. It just reads the CD. The FASTEST you could possibly import music would be 32x because of the read speed on the CD drive.

How fast is your computer? Sounds like a 300-400 MHz G3. The processor is really what rips the music.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    1.25 GHZ. G4
  • Reply 3 of 15
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Okay that is weird. I don't know what to say other than the standard stuff; repair permissions, clear caches, restart, update your software (I'm sure it's already updated anyway though), etc. Well, you could try checking what is running by using Activity Monitor or top in Terminal. There might be some errant process that is sucking CPU without you knowing it. Do you have beta software installed, like iChat 2.1 or OmniWeb 5?

Argh this seems like a tough one, if those things don't work all I can think of is restarting a few times or trying an archive install of OS X.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    I just reverted iChat 2.1 to 2.0 and that did it.

now I'm ripping at 8x which is...more or less acceptable.

Still damn slow though, honestly, it really should be 15x or more if you ask me. well, maybe if I quit everything it'd be faster.

the iChat beta is a HOG, taking up like 30% my CPU whereas regular iChat takes up 2 or 3% what's the deal with that?
  • Reply 5 of 15
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

the iChat beta is a HOG, taking up like 30% my CPU whereas regular iChat takes up 2 or 3% what's the deal with that?

Note my emphasis. It's a beta. If you're having trouble with your CPU acting way slower than you think it should, it would behoove you to make sure you've got nothing taking up it's time before complaining about speed. You should know that.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Stupid betas

They are beta than nothing
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Also, at what quality are you encoding compared to your friend's? I would think that has something to do with it.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    128 .aac compared to 128 .mp3
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Quote:

128 .aac compared to 128 .mp3

Apples to orange comparison... To squeeze more 'sound quality' from 128kbps, AAC does a lot more processing. Even to compare different MP3 encoders on different platforms is somewhat of an apple to oranges comparison, since you have two independent variables. I would try using iTunes on both computers, set-up as similarly as possible (e.g. both MP3, X bitrate, etc.) to get a fair comparison.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Quote:

Why is iTunes so slow to import music?

I have a 32x drive fercrissakes, I should be getting AT LEAST 15x

A friend of mine on his PC with musicmatch, gets 30x+ ripping speeds, he has a 52x drive why must iTunes be so slow in comparison?

I think it rips faster when I do .aac but it still should be faster than that.

what's the deal?

ok chill out man. some cd's jsut rip slow, like some burned cd's. try a different cd, and i bet you'll see a different number.

edit: and for the record, my ichatav beta is using about 4% of my 800MHz machine
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Newp, I've ripped 5 CDs tonight, each to dismal speeds. The highest speed I've gotten was 11x but it didn't last very long.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Quote:

Newp, I've ripped 5 CDs tonight, each to dismal speeds. The highest speed I've gotten was 11x but it didn't last very long.

hmmm... theres gotta be a setting somewhere--my old musicmatch vs. itunes rip times arent even worth looking at... i've never had itunes rip slowly. i wish i had an answer.... this might be more successful in the GB..
  • Reply 13 of 15
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Man, something is certainly off. As I recall, when my mother got her 700Mhz G4 iMac, I put a few CDs on for her and it ripped consistently at 10x if nothing else was going on.

Seems like you should be able to get 15x easy.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

ok chill out man. some cd's jsut rip slow, like some burned cd's. try a different cd, and i bet you'll see a different number.

edit: and for the record, my ichatav beta is using about 4% of my 800MHz machine

I can agree wit this. Some burned CDs take forever to rip. Make sure you're using a CD you've bought (that also keepts it nice and legal) and that it is silver on the bottom. That will give the best results AFAIK.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    rara Posts: 623member
    Do you have error correction turned on? That can slow things down a bit.