Grammys: Is it just me?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Or are none of the acts even close to interesting?

Even Sting has to urbanize his performance.

The Grammys should be renamed the Urban Music Awards.

Just waiting for the Brits for the real music awards.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 56
    Just you.
  • Reply 2 of 56
    daverdaver Posts: 496member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ganondorf

Just you.

No, there are at least two of us.
  • Reply 3 of 56
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
  • Reply 4 of 56
    chu_bakkachu_bakka Posts: 1,793member
    Are you people saying the music is too black?

Rap has been mainstream for a long time.

Pop has become more "urban"?

Pop music has been dominated by black people for over 40 years.

And have you forgotten that the Police were originally a blend of ska/reggae and punk?

The White Stripes are urban?

At least the Grammies were entertaining with tons of live music... usually they're a snooze fest.

Andre of Outkast and Foo Fighters are still coming.
  • Reply 5 of 56
    Ok. The show is a pop music show. That's where pop music is at the moment.

Americans don't listen to much Brit Pop/Rock these days...
  • Reply 6 of 56
    argentoargento Posts: 483member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chu_bakka

Ok. The show is a pop music show. That's where pop music is at the moment.

Americans don't listen to much Brit Pop/Rock these days...

That's why coldplay won. Thank God I only tuned in for that minute.

Ohh by the way the count is at 5
  • Reply 7 of 56
    No argument here.

I think the british music industry is much more innovative and forward looking.. and they tend to find great american acts before we do.
  • Reply 8 of 56
    I'm just glad the Funk Bros. finally got the recognition they deserve!
  • Reply 9 of 56
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Six.
  • Reply 10 of 56
    Just 6 of you.
  • Reply 11 of 56
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    At least the performances are not lip synched.

The best performance in my opinion, was Alicia Keys. Man, that girl can sing!
  • Reply 12 of 56
    Really, I didn't watch it, but Matt Drudge just said Alicia was "sour".
  • Reply 13 of 56
    Quote:

Originally posted by chu_bakka

Are you people saying . . .etc

actually . . . I do not agree with the 'urban' thing . .. to me that doesn't mean anything . . . the best music in America is all either "black" music or has been very influenced by African American music

I just hate the whole Big-TV-show kind of thing . . . I didn't even see the Grammies . . .
  • Reply 14 of 56
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member

Remember without Teatgate, Janet and Justin would have performed.

I agree on Alicia Keys. I saw her do a piano solo performance on Carson Daly's late night show (don't ask, shut up). She. Was. Amazing.

I bought her debut CD within the week (back when I bought CDs). And was I ever disappointed. It was so overproduced and overlayered with conventional hip-hop elements. I just wanted to hear what I heard on that show, her and her piano. Had she done an acoustic album, it would have done phenomenally.

Here are other performers I'd like to see bare their breast(s) so they are shamed by Americans' incredibly low threshold for naughty bits and consequently are forced to appear less on screen:

Britney

Christina

Shania

Jessica Simpson

Janet (check)

Michael ()

Screed
  • Reply 15 of 56
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Well, when Avril *100% Punk Rock * Lavigne gets nominated twice you know the Grammys have reached a new low. I just remember listening to a lot better music last year than what was represented there. I'd even prefer the choices in Groverat's thread about last year's music. Hopefully U2 will sweep the awards next year whenever their new album comes out. It's been 4 years already! What are they doing?
  • Reply 16 of 56
    the whole concept of U2 being able to "sweep" the Grammys shows me why I hate those kind of Music awards and shows

• Reply 17 of 56
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:

Hopefully U2 will sweep the awards next year whenever their new album comes out. It's been 4 years already! What are they doing?

Getting older.

That whole Jethro Tull for Best Metal kind of says it all for the Grammys for ever and ever. Or was it Arlo Guthrie, I confuse the two?

Screed
  • Reply 18 of 56
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnJ

Hopefully U2 will sweep the awards next year whenever their new album comes out. It's been 4 years already! What are they doing?

Probably doing what 90% of what the rest don't do...take the time to do it right.

Of course creativity is a fickle thing and sometimes you're just flowing with ideas. But too much of the crap out there today is formulaic. It's all about milking an artist for all he/she's worth in the shortest possible time.
  • Reply 19 of 56
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    i watched it... tried to concentrate....but i was getting so so sleepy...so sle e p y.......s o s l e e p y ......

bland, bland, bland. It's all time stamped and generic...and will all be forgotten by next year. Copies of copies of copies.....

yawn.....
  • Reply 20 of 56
    nwhyseenwhysee Posts: 151member
    Wasn't last year the year of rock? Remeber the "The" bands? The Hives, the Vines, the stripes? Ring a bell?