Icons of Mac OS X (TextEdit) (perspective, how to?)

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Okay, so, how does the TextEdit icon look? It is not a simple rotate and perspective tool job. The closest I could get is to rotate it, then distort the bottom right corner out, but it still does not look the same. What is the method for the tilt of the TextEdit-style of icon? And what is with that yellow shape behind the sheet of paper. I understand the presence of the pen and the piece of paper, but the yellow shape, gah?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    It looks like just normal perspective. Photoshop->Edit->Transform->Perspective, then rotate.

Since the icon is clearly a letter, then I would have to say that the yellow is an envelope!
  • Reply 2 of 44
    I'm not sure how Apple did it, but when i make icons that require that kind of look, I enlarge the textedit icon to about 1024x1024 in Photoshop, and then trace the pieces of paper on different layers using the lasso tool.
  • Reply 3 of 44
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    why are there no how-to's ?!?!?!?!
  • Reply 4 of 44
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    The new Illustrator CS is great for this stuff: using the Dimensions-inspired 3D features, you can "tilt" things back to a specified degree and angle, giving you a nice jumping-off point to start from.

Start with the elements drawn straight-on, then apply the tilt and angle. You can then export that to Photoshop or whatever to further enhance. Or I suppose you could do all the photorealistic treatments directly in Illustrator.

I'm finding myself using that 3D ALL THE TIME. It's not a high-end, photorealistic renderer by any stretch, BUT it's awesome for working out angles, producing templates, quickly mapping text or art to a sphere, 3D guides, etc.

I use it the same way I used Adobe Dimensions years ago: gives me a nice starting place and does the calculations and dirty work for me.
  • Reply 5 of 44
    what are the specifics of the tilt, like numerical angles?
  • Reply 6 of 44
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Doesn't Apple have guidelines for this stuff and sample templates on their developer pages?
  • Reply 7 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

Doesn't Apple have guidelines for this stuff and sample templates on their developer pages?

There's definitely sample templates on Apple's site, though I couldn't find it with a quick search. Anyone know the link?
  • Reply 8 of 44
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nebagakid

what are the specifics of the tilt, like numerical angles?

Use the measure tool in the tool pallet. It's under the eye dropper if you don't see, it, that is how you'd find the angle if you needed to
  • Reply 9 of 44
    If anyone's interested, here's the icon I made for my upcoming program. I made it completely in photoshop, so yes, it is possible.

• Reply 10 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by hyperb0le

If anyone's interested, here's the icon I made for my upcoming program. I made it completely in photoshop, so yes, it is possible.

**** you

EDIT: shouldn't that pencil really be one of those pens where you can select different color inks to come out?
  • Reply 11 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nebagakid

EDIT: shouldn't that pencil really be one of those pens where you can select different color inks to come out? [/B]

I suppose... Let's just pretend I have several different colored pencils
  • Reply 12 of 44
    hyperbOle, did you draw that stuff? The pencil? Spill it!
  • Reply 13 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

hyperbOle, did you draw that stuff? The pencil? Spill it!

i agree, incredibly, just...incredible...

what kind of anti-aliasing stuff did you use?

This is me trying to make a swinging sign (all photoshop)

• Reply 14 of 44
    To make the pencil, I used the tutorial posted in this thread at MacNN. Since I don't have illustrator though, I just opened up the posted image in one window, and did the pencil myself using the magnetic lasso tool and the pen tool. I applied some gradients and shadows, and boom.
  • Reply 15 of 44
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    May help for making good looking icons.

Here
  • Reply 16 of 44
    those are some good suggestionns, but they do not really tell you how to change a normal piece of paper into a titled document, or some other common aqua things...
  • Reply 17 of 44
    Nebaga, I just eyeballed my little love letter to match the "tilt" and perspective of the other icon in this thread (not scientific and the end-all, be-all...but pretty damn close).

Notice the numbers in the dialog box.

The coolest thing about Illustrator CS? All those elements are still live...I can change the text, move things, change the paper color, etc. No having to outline text and "commit" (or save 439 "along the way/in progress" versions, in case you mess up or like an earlier attempt).

[NOTE: the letter reads "...Can I come on your show and..." (that "Millionaire" one she hosts). I did not want anyone mistaking "on" for "in" and "show" for "shoes". That script is a little tough to read at that size, so I don't want ANY question or doubt!]

• Reply 18 of 44
    I made a photorealistic sharpie just for shits and giggles.

Photorealistic Sharpie(TM)

I'm considering putting up some tutorials on this kinda stuff. It's fun
  • Reply 19 of 44
    give us tutorials!!!!!!!
  • Reply 20 of 44
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hyperb0le

While I like the icon, might I question the appropriateness of an envelope in this context? Blue or otherwise.

I'd suggest a cardboard folder with a tab, but not an Aqua one... you could even use the blue you have.

I have actually scribbled notes in pencil on a printout of code with a folder for backing, so it would be entirely appropriate whereas I've never used a blue envelope to send the page to someone.