How many of you buy the software you use?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
How many of you buy the software they have and use on the macs they have computers?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    Student discount, Panther $69, iLife '04 $29, Office X $7 (!!!). Life is good. I even paid for OmniOutliner, Watson, Thoth, and Synergy. I'm thinking of buying Unison too, since Thoth feels so MacOS 9-ish. Generally if software is decent I'll pay for it; I hate nagware, I'd rather not use it at all. Though I think people who charge $20 for a screensaver are unrealistic.
  • Reply 2 of 40
    gecksgecks Posts: 11member
    I usually try things out before I buy, and if the program is decent and I'll use it more than once I'll purchase it. Good programs deserve to be bought, not stolen, IMO. The companys work hard to deliver useful software... well most of them.
  • Reply 3 of 40
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    My most commonly used apps are those included with Panther and of course I bought those. I'm upgrading to iLife '04 in a week. I do have a piece or two of illegitimate software on my computer but if I use anything with any regularity I buy it.
  • Reply 4 of 40
    The only non-opensource software on my main box is a closed source video driver by ATI but even that is a free download... so I would say that I download everything, and have yet to pay for any of the software I currently use.
  • Reply 5 of 40
    Nice i thougth alot of pepole here are bittorrent seeders and leachers any way what about all the people here with photoshop did they buy it for 900 dolars? thats more then a emac.
  • Reply 6 of 40
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    I have Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash, Director, Dreamweaver... yadda yadda yadda... all paid for. I use them for my freelance design, and ultimately the costs get passed on to the customer. So while I do pay for these things out of pocket initially, they end up costing me nothing. Also, I get tax breaks by purchasing these myself and I get to deduct a certain amount of square footage from the cost of my house because it is used for work. Having proof I own certain apps helps justify this claim to the feds.
  • Reply 7 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by rageous

I have Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash, Director, Dreamweaver... yadda yadda yadda... all paid for. I use them for my freelance design, and ultimately the costs get passed on to the customer. So while I do pay for these things out of pocket initially, they end up costing me nothing. Also, I get tax breaks by purchasing these myself and I get to deduct a certain amount of square footage from the cost of my house because it is used for work. Having proof I own certain apps helps justify this claim to the feds.

oh cool..
  • Reply 8 of 40
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I'm willing to maybe download some stuff from Limewire or wherever as a try-out, assuming the company doesn't offer a free demo (most do now except for the 800 lb. gorillas of software development), but if I use it, I buy it.

Most of my software comes from small companies selling shareware anyway, and its quality and usefulness is worth the small pittance they ask in return for their effort. Their upgrades are either free or a small fraction of the full cost to upgrade anyway. As a general rule (not always true), the small software houses are a lot more fair about pricing than the ones with a virtual monopoly in their market.

As for the big stuff, well, I stick with a version a lot longer if it's something like Photoshop. Upgrading to OS X changed some of that, but I'm still not finding a big need for some upgrades. I don't like buying from an increasingly complacent but costly development cycle from companies like these anyway. I still don't have PS for OS X, and I use the PS Elements 2 software that came with my scanner. Push might come to shove at some point, but it's not worth handing over that much cash yet.
  • Reply 9 of 40
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I own everything - legit - on my PowerBook: Adobe Creative Suite Premium, iLife 04, Panther, FontAgent Pro, Drive 10 and TechTools Pro 4, Microsoft Office v.X.

And I'll be getting Keynote in the next few weeks for $69 too (current $30 savings available to .Mac members).

I also gladly pay for good, well-made products like Transmit, SnapzPro, etc. Art Directors Toolkit came on my computer when I bought it, so that's cool (I'd happily pay for it too, and have in the past).

And I haven't downloaded songs from Napster or Limewire in nearly two years. Napster went away and Limewire sucked anyway.

Hey, ever since the iTMS came out, I think that's the PERFECT way to get music, so I'm happy to give them 99¢ here and there. I can have the ONE SONG I want (for only 99 cents) in less time than it would take me to get my shoes on, find my keys and head to the mall to spend $15 for the entire stupid CD when all I want is "Stacy's Mom" or "Bootylicious".

• Reply 10 of 40
    Quote:

Hey, ever since the iTMS came out, I think that's the PERFECT way to get music, so I'm happy to give them 99¢ here and there.

hmm iTMS ? you have a pc along with your mac? thats wierd i have to sell my pc for money any way.
  • Reply 11 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by hack4ev3r

hmm iTMS ? you have a pc along with your mac? thats wierd i have to sell my pc for money any way.

Wow, you really need to brush up on your Apple history. iTMS came out for Macs FIRST. We've had it for almost 10 months now.
  • Reply 12 of 40
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    What are you talking about?

Hell no I don't have "a PC along with my Mac". All Mac, 100%.

iTMS = iTunes Music Store, available on Macs since April 2003. PC/Windows are the recent climb-ons, when Apple released a version of iTunes for Windows (including the music store) this past fall.

\

For the record, I never have - and never will - own a Windows-based PC. Why in heaven's name would I?

• Reply 13 of 40
    4 all teh 1337 gaMeZorz!
  • Reply 14 of 40
    oo sorry i thougth u ment iTMS as itunes ms - microsoft

srry..
  • Reply 15 of 40
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Dear GOD they have you brainwashed don't they???

"M&Ms... Must be chocolate from Redmond!"

"Oh look, they have a new copy of that Microsoft magazine for young girls... Ms."

"BDSM? Feh. They can't even spell it right."
  • Reply 16 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Dear GOD they have you brainwashed don't they???

"M&Ms... Must be chocolate from Redmond!"

"Oh look, they have a new copy of that Microsoft magazine for young girls... Ms."

"BDSM? Feh. They can't even spell it right."

exquse me i dont realy understand..
  • Reply 17 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by hack4ev3r

exquse me i dont realy understand..

He's joking about all the possible "MS" combinations one could see and assume they're from Microsoft just because there's MS in the name. iTunes has NOTHING to do with Microsoft. NOTHING AT ALL. iTunes is all Apple. Remember that!
  • Reply 18 of 40
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Sorry, just pointing out that because 'iTMS' has 'MS' in it, you assumed it had to do with Microsoft. It's really a quite scary observation.

I was making a joke about the sheer horror of it, that anything with 'MS' in might be assumed to be from the Redmond Horde.

My apologies, I forgot English isn't everyone's first language. Obtuse me.
  • Reply 19 of 40
    im sorry its just sitting on me like anything with ms in it is for microsoft window. beacuse it was like that when i used linux
  • Reply 20 of 40
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Of the software I have with a price tag attached, the only stuff I haven't paid for is shareware I don't use that I haven't gotten around to deleting.

All my commercial software is paid for, and all the shareware I use is paid for.