RIAA Hates Apple.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Watching the Grammys halfheartedly when the RIAA shill came on to talk about digital downloading. After a long speech of platitudes asking us to give them a chance, they showed a new commercial that starts their national campaign.

The kicker: it shows a woman downloading music on a "Mac". It's not actually OSX, but she's using a white laptop and the window she's downloading with has some kind of fake Aqua, with red, yellow and green window controls and an aqua-colored progress bar.

So, what's the deal? Obviously, more people download songs illegally with Microsoft Windows...why pick on Apple? Especially since Apple has given the best solution for people to actually pay for digital music.

Are they still pissed about "Rip, Mix, Burn"? Are they just afraid to show Windows? What's the fvcking deal?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    They could just be morons. That's my best guess.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    Some watching half-heartedly
  • Reply 3 of 16
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    I don't really see it as an intentional slag directed at Apple...but rather downloading itself.

But one wonders why. At this point, the battle is over. Downloading is the "new" retail store. Embrace the technology you dumb a** record execs!!

One wonders where the recording industry would be in a couple of years had Apple not stepped in.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    I think they still need illegal downloaders as scapegoats to cover that they're losing money. "Our business model is dying," doesn't go over in the boardrooms and stockholder meetings as well as "Those damned downloaders," does.

Screed
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Everyone uses Apple products in commercials and stuff like that. They just look so much better than the nondescript PC boxes out there. I'm sure it wasn't a slam on Apple. If anything the RIAA should be kissing the ground Apple walks on for at least trying to stop illegal downloading.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    the music industry should do something. else.

hmv, virgin etc have now a nice offer. 3 movies or cds for 20 £ .. it's a good price to be in uk. well. i've bought some 3-sets with it .. and including no cds. why would i want to pay the same amount of money for a cd than i pay for a good movie? if copying (as process and material) a dvd can cost 0,50 - 1,00 $ each, how much is the cost of making a cd? if i get 50 blank cds (not "any brand") for 10 $, that leaves .. 0,20 $ for a cd. in some countries a new muic cd costs 25 euros = over 30 $. and then they wonder WHY there is piracy ..

what if music was more often offered as a dvd? get more value for the same price, some short movies, higher quality music.. making it not worth ripping.

or find a really good explanantion why a cd does cost 25 euros. 20 cents for the artist, 20 cent for the material .. then?
  • Reply 7 of 16
    It's getting there. Nowadays the "new" business model is the DVD-Audio that has five channels of your favorite album. So that might equate the movie-music price points.

Oh, and having a Mac in a commercial is par for the course. Artists always sneak them in. Usually it's good, but if its used in a negative light once, it's the price that's paid for the platform being popular among artists.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    It figures that an inane organization like the RIAA would make ads that indirectly take a jab at Apple -- the first company to do something constructive about illegal downloading -- because like it or not, Apple gave consumers a choice the RIAA didn't want them to have. To buy things a song at a time and not get reamed on a $14 CD purchase every time we like something we hear on the radio.

They're greedy douche bags; there's no getting around it. They want it all and Apple took it away from them. And now other companies are following Apple's lead, even the new Napster, which must irk them no end.

I frankly can't believe the producers were shameless enough to allow them on stage at all (though I didn't watch, the Grammys being a complete joke nowadays).
  • Reply 9 of 16
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    "Or maybe it's because the designers and video producers didn't have any PCs available?"

People aren't reading closely. They didn't use OS X--they went to the trouble to mock up an OS that looks like OS X, but is just different enough that they won't get in trouble. So it is obviously an intentional choice on the part of the RIAA.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    why do I have a navel.... god must hate me
  • Reply 11 of 16
    anandanand Posts: 285member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mrmister

"Or maybe it's because the designers and video producers didn't have any PCs available?"

People aren't reading closely. They didn't use OS X--they went to the trouble to mock up an OS that looks like OS X, but is just different enough that they won't get in trouble. So it is obviously an intentional choice on the part of the RIAA.

I get your point and agree with you. The RIAA will not pick a fight with MS. Apple is a bit player and can't really fight back.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mrmister

Watching the Grammys halfheartedly when the RIAA shill came on to talk about digital downloading. After a long speech of platitudes asking us to give them a chance, they showed a new commercial that starts their national campaign.

Here is the web site

http://www.whatsthedownload.com

Interesting, they used Word doc format instead of PDF.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    The ad was obviously meant to shake things up and make people take note.

If you drill down through their website, you'll find they support legal downloads.

In fact, Apple is at the top of the list under online featured sites.

http://www.whatsthedownload.com/get_...now/index.aspx
  • Reply 14 of 16
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

The ad was obviously meant to shake things up and make people take note.

If you drill down through their website, you'll find they support legal downloads.

In fact, Apple is at the top of the list under online featured sites.

http://www.whatsthedownload.com/get_...now/index.aspx

Because Apple begins with an "A"
  • Reply 15 of 16
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    Interesting that they use Word for their docs--I think they just want to do anything they can to play nice with Microsoft.