137 Words

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I?m considering engaging in a little teacherly fun this semester. For a long time now, I?ve been using strange tactics to get students to become aware of how they have to make choices when they write--whether or not they are conscious of these choices. So here?s what I?m considering: 137 words. I give them an assignment (anything, really) and they have to write me exactly 137 words in response. I may even at a future date apply this to longer assignments (write me 1,000 words. No more; no less). Is this mean? Sure. Is this cruel and unusual? Without a doubt. But it will, at the very least, force them to confront the process of their writing.

Anyone care to respond? Using exactly 137 words?

Cheers,

Scott

(By the way, this entry is exactly 137 words.)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 78
    No I cannot. But I do think that 137 words would make the point but 1000 words would not unless you have a requirement for the length of each paragraph. Now that would be cruel.

End passage.
  • Reply 2 of 78
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member

Cool. I like it. Maybe as a special kind of assignment, rather than as a rule on a regular assignment. And I'd suggest having them e-mail you their papers so you can check the number of words electronically rather than counting them.

I think people like limitations like that. Like writing a haiku or even a traditional sonnet in iambic pentameter. It's kind of fun to see if you can make something meaningful with strict limitations.
  • Reply 3 of 78
    tmptmp Posts: 601member
    Are you willing to count the words in all of your students essays, or are you going to have them submit their papers in a Word file so you can check it easier? (It?s been a few million years since I was in school; I think we beat our assignments out on native drums, or chipped them into stone tablets?.) It seems to me that this is cruel and unusual only to you if you plan on the former, especially if you manually scan essays for word count of up to 1000 words apiece. If the latter, I think you?d be forcing your students to confront their creative use of the Tools menu and the ministrations of Clippy rather than ?the Process?. Which sounds more like a class in secretarial skills than a class in creative writing.
  • Reply 4 of 78
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    for another task

when the springtime has arrived

have them do haiku
  • Reply 5 of 78
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

for another task

have them do haiku

If I taught creative writing, I would. (sorry this isn't not 137 words...I'm in a bit of a time crunch)

Cheers

Scott
  • Reply 6 of 78
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Well done tmp. I'm far too lazy to even try, but I think it's a good idea. 1000 would only work well in an upper level course...
  • Reply 7 of 78
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

If I taught creative writing, I would. (sorry this isn't not 137 words...I'm in a bit of a time crunch)

Cheers

Scott

I was thinking about the haiku, and forgot all about trying to answer using one hundred thirty seven words. (I?m spelling my numbers out to help diffuse any potential arguments over how many words a number represents.)

Anyway, for forgetting about the one hundred thirty seven words I?m very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very sorry.
  • Reply 8 of 78
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    You?re the reason that students hate school and their teachers or professors. Making up asinine assignments just to torment these kids is not what education is about. Professors are by far the worst of the bunch. They think that because they wasted their money on some piece of paper entitles them to a superiority complex. All they do is take out their frustration from being shat upon by professors and review boards on their students. The last thing a professor wants is original thought. They would much rather have their students regurgitate the same shit that they have been spewing for years so that they can feel better about all that wasted time and money.

Oh in case you were wondering, professors suck, but I don?t really hate all of them, just the ones that I had.

• Reply 9 of 78
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

for another task

have them do haiku

I thought about this

One hundred thirty seven

Seventeen won't fit
  • Reply 10 of 78
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by HOM

You?re the reason that students hate school and their teachers or professors. Making up asinine assignments just to torment these kids is not what education is about. Professors are by far the worst of the bunch. They think that because they wasted their money on some piece of paper entitles them to a superiority complex. All they do is take out their frustration from being shat upon by professors and review boards on their students. The last thing a professor wants is original thought. They would much rather have their students regurgitate the same shit that they have been spewing for years so that they can feel better about all that wasted time and money.

Oh in case you were wondering, professors suck, but I don?t really hate all of them, just the ones that I had.

I should also point out that the 137 words must be grammatically correct.

Cheers

Scott
  • Reply 11 of 78
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    You should make them use 137 UNIQUE words.
  • Reply 12 of 78
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

I should also point out that the 137 words must be grammatically correct.

Cheers

Scott

• Reply 13 of 78
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

You should make them use 137 UNIQUE words.

Ouch! That is evil.

That will only end in eggs

on your vehicle.

Screed
  • Reply 14 of 78
    I think it's a stupid idea, personally. I think the students will hate you for it, and it will give them no benefit whatsoever in their life. Just do your job and process them through.
  • Reply 15 of 78
    tmptmp Posts: 601member
    Depending upon what he's teaching, it could be his job. If he is teaching a class to people who expect to become journalists, then it's valid to prep them to write to a word count.

Quote:

I think the students will hate you for it, and it will give them no benefit whatsoever in their life.

I think you've just described Trig.
  • Reply 16 of 78
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ganondorf

I think it's a stupid idea, personally. I think the students will hate you for it, and it will give them no benefit whatsoever in their life.

Learning to think carefully about word choices most certainly can be a benefit in one's life. Even an artificially imposed constraint, like a length of 137 words, can help open students up to that process.

Quote:

Just do your job and process them through.

Now there's a sad, bleak outlook on what a teacher is supposed to do. This isn't stamping out license plates or shearing sheep you know, it's teaching he's talking about.
  • Reply 17 of 78
    Yeah I guess I just assumed he taught high school or some intro English class, since he didn't specify.
  • Reply 18 of 78
    Quote:

Yeah I guess I just assumed he taught high school or some intro English class, since he didn't specify.

Seen in the light of the above assumption, "Just do your job and process them through" is somehow supposed to sound better?
  • Reply 19 of 78
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Just do your job and process them through.

• Reply 20 of 78
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    So high school is just 'stamping them through'?

You... haven't graduated high school yet, have you, Ganondorf?

That's really a sad commentary.

I think it's a great idea, myself, but it has to sold to the students carefully. I do this in my programming classes. "OK, this week, see how concise you can make your code without losing readability." "Alright, this week play around with minimizing the number of methods in each class, but keep it at least three."

You'd be surprised at how innovative some students can be. I never make it a hard requirement, but they do get extra credit if they write up a discussion on what they tried and what they learned.

Rote memorization is useless.