.mac mail down again...I HATE IT!

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Once again, dot mac is down. I am again not able to recieve to my .mac account. That is it. I need to find a new mail system.

What is the very best web based mail program out there? All I need is solid up-time, little spam, and a useable interface.

My yahoo gets constant spam, and this is the end of the .mac road for me.

Thanks!!

R.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by maninmac

Once again, dot mac is down. I am again not able to recieve to my .mac account. That is it. I need to find a new mail system.

What is the very best web based mail program out there? All I need is solid up-time, little spam, and a useable interface.

Thanks!!

R.

Sorry you're having trouble. Mine's been fine for months now. I really can't remember the last time I had trouble. Are you sure it's not your ISP?
  • Reply 2 of 11
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Thanks!!

R.

um, before you throw .mac off a cliff, i've been checking and receiving .mac email all day, AND for the past several weeks. though no one really contacts me there, but it doesn't seem to be down.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Same here. Just got finished checking (AND sending two e-mails) with my .Mac account, here at work.

Works all the damn time. Seriously.

I think it's something else, maninmac.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

I think it's something else, maninmac.

Maybe if he posted in the correct forum (software), things would work better for him.

I've been receiving email all day in my .mac account. Some of which I don't WANT to get but I suppose hiding from my responsibilities should be done some other way. :/
  • Reply 5 of 11
    I thought that digital hub was indeed the right forum for .mac related posts. Anyone?

I am able to send mail no problem, but do not get incoming. I have tried from my yahoo, and work e-mail-- same thing.

This happens quite often, nothing will come in for 2 or 3 hours. Perhaps it is not affecting all users...

• Reply 6 of 11
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Quote:

Software

Software talk, including OS X software, gaming, OS 9, and .Mac.

Digital Hub

Discussion of digital peripherals and the iApps, including iLife and the iTunes Music Store.

I'll move it over for you.

• Reply 7 of 11
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    Mine just went down for about 10-15 minutes. No big deal.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    knappaknappa Posts: 106member
    Quote:

I thought that digital hub was indeed the right forum for .mac related posts. Anyone?

I am able to send mail no problem, but do not get incoming. I have tried from my yahoo, and work e-mail-- same thing.

This happens quite often, nothing will come in for 2 or 3 hours. Perhaps it is not affecting all users...

Doesn't sound like it's a problem with .Mac. But concerning your original question, I use a spymac.com address. It's nice to use and never has had any downtime that I know of.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    OK, its a bit involved, but get your own domain.

Go buy a domain name - I got mine from easyspace

Make sure you can host the dns service at another place ( easy space cost more for that ).

Go to zoneedit and sign up for an account ( you get a gig of dns traffic for free ).

Then follow the zoneedit instructions to point your domains dns to the ip's supplied by zoneedit.

Then, you can setup as many email accounts as you want to be forwarded to where ever you want. Im very happy using hotmail to receive ( Ive got the http_mail extension for mail.app ). I get no junk from hotmail. A good plan is to have two email accounts, one for friends/family/etc, and one you use online for random companies. Then you can easily filter your mail.

You can also use dns updater ( look on macupdate ) to point the world at your domain whenever the ip of you online machine changes.

I have an ongoing cost of about $20 a year ( or whatever ) to pay for my domain name.

If you want to get really serious, once you have a domain name you can host your own mail server. But if you are online/offline all the time ( like me ) you need to arrange a backupu mail server ( zoneedit for a fee ), so Ive left it alone for the moment.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    That is not a bad idea at all!! Thanks!

What do you know...it is down again.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Just so you don't feel alone in the maninmac, I get crazy with .mac too

The mail server goes down about once every couple of weeks for me, usually for about 2 hours. I notice it when I'm away from my home computer and using webmail. And since I use the account for work, it's incredibly inconvenient.

I also have periodic trouble with posting files to my Public Folder for clients to download via Public Folder Filesharing. 3 times out of 10 they just can't reach the homepage and get an error message. This seems to be happening less now, but about 6 months ago it was a big problem.

The biggest frustration is there's no immediate way of getting support from Apple - which for a fee based service is VERY poor.