Time for the "other" Democrats to bow out?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
It would appear that for all practical purposes John Kerry has clearly shown himself to be the victor in the democratic primary nomination process to date. He has done well in both northern, midwest and southern states giving him a most coveted status of being widely "electable" in pretty much all portions of the country.

So,,,,,, Should the others bow out as soon as possible so the real task at hand can be initiated?

I think it is clearly time to see the others concede but what are your thoughts?

Fellows

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Dean should have been out after Michigan. This whole thing of "I'll do or die in <insert state here>" and then retracting it is getting old.

Edwards got destroyed in Virginia and ended up not winning either of two states that border his own. They weren't small blowouts either. Edwards needs to bow out.

I support Clark, and the media has been trying to get him to drop out since he *won* Oklahoma. If Edwards and Dean somehow think they can stay in the race, I don't see why Clark should drop out.

At some point, however, people have to look at the money being spent, and the money the Democrats are going to need to go up against the war chests of George W. Bush, and while I'd rather have Clark than Kerry, there has to be a point where the other Democrats admit defeat. Kerry has won 12 of 14 contests and doesn't look like he's losing any steam.

The thing is, Dean, Edwards, and Clark all have wanted to face Kerry 1 on 1 since Iowa, and none of these candidates want to admit defeat. Just my thoughts, I don't think any willl drop out, although the media will hound Clark even more than they have been.
  • Reply 2 of 32
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    I think it is time for all Dem contenders to bow out. Do it for the country.
  • Reply 3 of 32
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fran441

Dean should have been out after Michigan. This whole thing of "I'll do or die in <insert state here>" and then retracting it is getting old.

You really are bitter about Dean, aren't you? Well I hope he sticks around if only to keep the others in the race a bit honest. As for the whole 'moving the bar', people keep giving him lots of money and asking him to keep fighting. What's he supposed to do? I think keeping in the race is the right thing to do even if he's not going to win.

But I'm not basing this on a wish for either Dean, Edwards, Clark or Kerry to win. I'm a bit neutral in the process.
  • Reply 4 of 32
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Clark is out.

AP is reporting and CNN is confirming that Clark is going back to Little Rock to drop out.
  • Reply 5 of 32
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Originally posted by HOM

Clark is out.

AP is reporting and CNN is confirming that Clark is going back to Little Rock to drop out.

Bummer, now we're staring at a continued gray-depressing mistrusting brutish atmosphere (which I warned everybody about before Bush came in) OR, we'll get a slightly less mistrustful and less vicious-by-philosophy but a whole lot more boring and just as washington oriented atmosphere . . .

if I can just say that sort of thing

six times fast . . .
  • Reply 6 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fran441

He never said "ill do or die"--why are you twisting the facts? He had said winning Wisconsin was critical, but his supporterss (I included) urged him to stay on and fight Kerry for what he is. Kerry hasn't won yet--only 20% of the delegates have been selected so far.

Dean would have won Maine on Sunday if it weren't for Kusinich and Clark--Kerry is still under 50% in most polls and his supporters are only voting on him based on the dubious assumption that he more electable. Electable is a codeword for the fact that his supporters aren't strongly commited or passionate about him.
  • Reply 7 of 32
    A Dean/Clark ticket would certainly give Kerry something to worry about.
  • Reply 8 of 32
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Existence: Go Dean go!

Fran441: Go Clark go!

Everybody else:
  • Reply 9 of 32
    Go Kucinich Go!
  • Reply 10 of 32
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Hate to say it but this is where we are heading:

I see a white haired man, he's got a suit on hand

He's telling people how they're supposed to live

Nobody's listening to the politician

No matter what sage advice he has to give

He's got a clumsy, outdated m.o.

And he's come to a fork in the road

And there is only one direction to go

Among the commuters, dwarfed by the skyscrapers

I watch the countless millions fighting for space

See hateful, petty acts, disjointed images,

And can't believe that I'm one of the same race

We're all just struggling to cope

And we come to a fork in the road

As we watch our foundations erode

There's only one direction to go

It's the way of the dodo

Such a noble destiny

It's the waltz of desperation

Passed along to you and me

The way of the dodo

(It's the gray stuff in your head)

(It's the pulse of the living and the voices of the dead)
  • Reply 11 of 32
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    All that's left now is the coronation and determining his running mate. Edwards is probably the smart choice at this point. Clark only brings military expertise and Kerry already has that, Dean is a blow-hard IMO and would hurt Kerry's chances. I think Edwards would fair better against Dick in a VP debate as well.
  • Reply 12 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

All that's left now is the coronation...

How can you say that when less than 20% of the total delegates have been choosen? Do the voters of California, Texas, New York, and other states have no say at all? Or are you saying Democrats are sheep?
  • Reply 13 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by Existence

How can you say that when less than 20% of the total delegates have been choosen? Do the voters of California, Texas, New York, and other states have no say at all? Or are you saying Democrats are sheep?

Yeah, pretty much. Followers of both mainstream parties are sheep.
  • Reply 15 of 32
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

The Democrats in this state (California) aren't dumb. Neither Dean nor Kerry are electable...at all. They never were. It's funny you bring up sheep because that's what comes to mind when I think about the "Blog for America."
  • Reply 16 of 32
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

The Democrats in this state (California) aren't dumb. Neither Dean nor Kerry are electable...at all. They never were. It's funny you bring up sheep because that's what comes to mind when I think about the "Blog for America."

Unequivocal predictions have a long afterlife.
  • Reply 17 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

Yeah, pretty much. Followers of both mainstream parties are sheep.

Hardly. The two-party system is an inevitability of our winner-take-all plurality voting system. Change how we vote and finally break up their monopoly on U.S. politics. Although, I don't see how that's even remotely possible since both parties would have to vote against their own narrow self-interest-or even well being- in bringing about the required change.
  • Reply 19 of 32
    (begun)
  • Reply 20 of 32
    Quote:

It has began.

http://www.petitiononline.com/CLEAN/petition.html

Oh dear god kill yourself.