Is Hawaii really a paradise?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm looking at taking time off in the coming months and was suggested by a friend to go to Hawaii and see paradise on earth.

Now I'm not really big on sunsets and rainbows...much rather be in a really cool city in Europe or the States. And when I do go to a tropical place, I'm thinking Cuba or somewhere in South America.

Maybe I'm wrong, but Hawaii strikes me as a perhaps too touristy (although I'm sure some of the volcanoes are quite spectacular).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    Well, it's close. The weather is almost perfect...warm without humidity. But why not just rest in Rome for a few months?
  • Reply 2 of 18
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Bali has a little something extra that you can't find very easily in Hawaii. At least that's my opinion.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    I dig hawaii, but the locals aren't too nice to tourists

Which is kind of weird, when you're there, it's like, might as well be a different country in many respects.

yes there is A LOT of tourism, but if you can get away from that somewhat, it's a really nice place. The volcanoes are phenomenal.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    I don't really remember... it seemed like Paradise when I was there in 3rd grade.... which was 21 years ago.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    Given the choice between Hawaii or Cuba, I would do Cuba in a flash.

Been to neither, just my personal preference. Maybe you should visit Middle Earth aka NZ
  • Reply 6 of 18
    Been to both... If you just want to sit around, relax, and soak up the atmosphere .... Go to Cuba.

Hawaii would probably be more your style if you want to be going and doing all the time.

Then again, if you wanna do some serious diving ... go to Hawaii, then keep going west for another 7 hours

Bali ? ... i LOVE Bali ... the Kartika Plaza in Kuta.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    I think it depends in large part on which Island you choose and subsequently which part of that island. Some locations are much more touristy (not paradise) than others I suspect. But I've only been in the Honolulu airport, so what do I know?

• Reply 8 of 18
    Greece
  • Reply 9 of 18
    sapisapi Posts: 207member
    I agree with bunge on Bali, but in that area ther are better islands to go to like Lombok or Flores.

West Java's coast is my favorite though.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    aslan^aslan^ Posts: 599member
    I dont like Honolulu. Assuming you live in the states, why not take a trip down to Australia... now that's fun !

Oh, I see you live in Canada, my bad.. still Australia is a great country.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    I like Israel and would be there right now driving on my bike in the Negev desert on my way from Haifa to Eilat if it wasn´t because I just started in a new job.

Perhaps not paradise on earth but a mental challenge worth much more.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    carol acarol a Posts: 1,043member
    I've been to Honolulu, which is very touristy, but still worth seeing, I guess. There's a canyon on the west or southwest side of the island called Waimea Canyon, that's kinda like the Grand Canyon. Dry, desert-like. Each side of the island seems to have a different climate. Weird, huh?

Also went to Kauai, which was just incredibly beautiful. I think it was on the northwest side of the island where I saw high, vertical-type mountains, green and lush, with long, LONG waterfalls dropping hundreds of feet from the mountainsides. Visions of paradise when I was there. But I heard the Japanese bought up the area nearby and built golf courses. Don't know if that's true or not.

Go online and check it out.

Two of my friends go to Maui all the time, one because she owns a condo there. My impression is that the various islands have different atmospheres, depending on their geography, etc.

Only spend two days in Honolulu. Spend the rest of your time on another island. Be sure to rent a car the whole time you're there, so you can go everywhere and make the most of your vacation.

Yes, go to Hawaii. You can always go some other place at some other time. The way to make these decisions is to go everywhere. This time Hawaii; next time, somewhere else. And when you go, don't be a skinflint. Take plenty of money and credit cards. Treat yourself to everything that sounds appealing. You'll be glad you did. Carpe diem.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    timotimo Posts: 353member
    Waimea Canyon is on Kaua'i, which is an amazing place.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    YES!
  • Reply 15 of 18
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AsLan^

.. still Australia is a great country.

Agreed. If you have a choice of Pacific destinations, I HIGHLY recommend a stint on the east coast of Australia (The Reef area) and also some time on the south island of New Zealand. That was easily the best trip / vacation / paradise I've ever experienced.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Timo

Waimea Canyon is on Kaua'i, which is an amazing place.

Oops! Wrong island. I guess my memory is faulty because I was blinded by love when I was there. heh. But I'll never forget those waterfalls, because it was probably the most beautiful scene I've ever laid eyes on in my life.

Okay, the west side of Oahu has good surfing, right? I took some great pictures of huge waves crashing against the shore. Must have been the west side of Oahu....
  • Reply 17 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

Now I'm not really big on sunsets and rainbows...much rather be in a really cool city in Europe or the States. And when I do go to a tropical place, I'm thinking Cuba or somewhere in South America.

Macchu Picchu (sp?) (Inca ruins) in Peru is incredible. I think it's a place that everyone should see sometime in their life. The lush vertical mountains remind me of those in Kauai.

I did pick up a nasty bug in the Amazon (from a popsicle - probably made from river water. Oh god. Shiver). Lasted for six months on an intermittent basis.

The Andes mountains on the motor launch (boat) trip from Bariloche, Argentina, to Chile is also unbelievably beautiful. I was there in July (winter); but I imagine summer would be equally amazing.

A place I didn't quite get to (ran out of time) but would love to see is the Mayan ruin at Tikal, in the jungles of Guatemala. Did visit Palenque in southern Mexico, but Tikal looks a thousand times more fascinating.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

...the south island of New Zealand. That was easily the best trip / vacation / paradise I've ever experienced.

I would love to go there - for at least a month.

I imagine renting a vehicle would be the best/only way to see everything?

Has anyone been to St. Lucia? Are there lush, green mountains that fall right into the sea? That's the kind of visual drama I'm looking for.

(OOPS!! Urgent disclaimer: Yes!!! I am FULLY aware that St. Lucia is NOT in New Zealand!!!!! hahaha )

I'd also like to spend part of a vacation at an eco-lodge in a tropical rain forest, and go canoeing on tropical rivers. Has anyone done that?

I'm dying to go to Costa Rica. That's where I want to go next. I have visions of misty, rain-forested mountains dropping down to the sea. Sigh. \