The best reference tool ever

brbr
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Gurunet is the best reference tool ever. It is the one and only thing I absolutely desperately miss from my windows machine that I cannot replicate on the mac. With Gurunet, practically any information about any subject you can think of is instantly accessible with an alt-click.

http://www.gurunet.com/demos/GuruNet_Demo.html

This is a flash demo demonstrating the powers of Gurunet. Please please PLEASE email them asking about a Mac version. The more requests they get, the better the chances there are of a Mac version becoming reality.

DO IT!!!

This is the email where they want requests for a mac version sent to:

mailto:[email protected]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    So basically it's Apple Data Detectors + Sherlock's XML-RPC/SOAP capabilities + Google/encyclopedia/dictionary/atlas/fact book.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    whoa, that looks awesome, me wantee.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

So basically it's Apple Data Detectors + Sherlock's XML-RPC/SOAP capabilities + Google/encyclopedia/dictionary/atlas/fact book.

And it even wipes your ass.

Actually, here are all the categories: http://www.gurunet.com/page.pl?p=exa...ategories&hw=1
  • Reply 4 of 8
    This is what I always thought the internet.... well, web browsers I guess.... should be. Treat any word displayed as a link to information about that word.

Looks pretty good.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Indeed. How's the actual data it returns? (I dislike going to one source for any data...)
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Indeed. How's the actual data it returns? (I dislike going to one source for any data...)

The data is great and it comes from hundreds of sources.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Woo! Just found this buried in their site:

What about Macintosh OS X? What about Tablet PC? Linux? VMS? 3270? TRS80?

A Macintosh version is currently under development. Once that task is done, we'll take on other popular platforms as well. If you want to be notified when we release GuruNet for Mac OSX, please send a message to [email protected].

Still, send the email anyway. Maybe it will make them get their asses in gear and get it finished quicker!
  • Reply 8 of 8
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Awesome!!