what is Apple planning for the enterprise?

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 145
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Apple, and Alias seems like a wet dream come true, and I wish it could/would happen successfully, but the key to that would be keeping all the Alias personnel. It's probably easier said than done, but from what I have seen with Apple, and emagic from an outside view, and in appearance only it seems like emagic still remains to be emagic, but I have no idea how much of their personnel was lost. It's not as big as a factor with an application such as logic, but Maya, and the other Alias applications are another story.

Another problem would be legacy users, and windows systems. Apple probably wouldn't want to keep the wintel version in development for too long. It would probably muttle the development of OS X versions. Linux shouldn't be too hard to keep I imagine, but it's the wintel version of the Alias software's are their bread, and butter sales. That's nothing like the emagic deal where most of the logic users were already using logic on Mac's. It seems like a long hard road to take right now.

Then there is the idea of a cooperative buyout of them between IBM, and Apple. historically IBM is all about numbers. Again historically I think a suit could give a crap if he/she cut some of the key minds behind the products successes in such a buyout.

I'm hoping IBM's personality, and personnel is growing younger, and in it more for the art, and spirit of technology rather than the almighty dollar.

But back to the speculative realm of Alias, and Apple. Apple doesn't have a machine, or a highend graphics card that can run Maya Unlimited, or any alias software exceptionally well yet. Sure they would come around, but as I said. It's just a wet dream. lol.

Apple is however up to something in 3D I can feel it. Nothing has been said of Pixar Renderman in a long while, there was a rumor of Apple talking with 3DLabs makers of the wildCat cards (that don't do much for Maya specs BTW), and there is a 2003 WWDC where Steve Jobs said 3GHz in a year. There are also supposed dual core PPC processors coming from IBM that we all hope come in way ahead of schedule.

Where will it all lead?
  • Reply 142 of 145
    jadejade Posts: 379member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

Apple, and Alias seems like a wet dream come true, and I wish it could/would happen successfully, but the key to that would be keeping all the Alias personnel.

What does this have to do with the enterprise market??????

Looking at LLNL's major challenges, it seems many of them are currently being addressed...but it is still pretty unclear what happens next. Maybe Apple can start small and try a powerbooks for business angle.

1. easy to configure wireless

2. travel ready and decent battery life

3. Rendezvous!

4. filevault

5. easy to configure VPN client

6. Unix-based OS

I think there is a huge awareness problem about OS X. I met a guy the other day who said he has been a PC tech for the past 25 years and woldn't touch an Apple with a 10 foor pole. I mentioned that Apple has changed a lot over past few years and told him OS X is based on Unix. The guy was amazed and it opened his eyes a tiny bit. And think of the huge number of businesses who have Macs for their graphics designers and use Linux/Unix servers. Most of them have no clue /OS X is unix based as well. I would like to see more OS X ads in the IT mags: itworld, eWeek, Network World, CIO magazine. And how about some small coverage in the SAN magazines to...covering the xServe RAID.

More case studies need to be published. The CIOs have no idea Apple is a viable option for them...and Apple isn't doing much to counteract it. The press from the VaTech cluster should help a little and Apple may get more traction in the Scince community. But what I hope most is Apple uses their current installed base to get the IT guys to go Apple across the entire organiztion.
  • Reply 143 of 145
    Quote:

Originally posted by jade

What does this have to do with the enterprise market??????

Last March Maya was awarded and "oscar" for scientific and technical achievement. The film industry is an enterprise market.

Quote:

... Maybe Apple can start small and try a powerbooks for business angle.

1) security, 2) Security, 3) SECURITY

The biggest problem that IT departments face in securing a Windows network is having their portable users bring in malware on their laptops from home or the road. Going to all Powerbooks for their portable users would solve this huge security problem for Windows administrators.

Quote:

I think there is a huge awareness problem about OS X... I would like to see more OS X ads in the IT mags: itworld, eWeek, Network World, CIO magazine...

More case studies need to be published... what I hope most is Apple uses their current installed base to get the IT guys to go Apple across the entire organiztion.

I agree that Apple could put some of that 5 billion to work getting the word out about OSX. We see plenty of Microsoft ads (ad nauseam) how about a media blitz about OSX and it's goodness?

As the "alpha geeks" within the enterprise adopt OSX for their personal use, there will be a "trickle down" effect in those organizations. Why not help them with some case studies and TCO reports?
  • Reply 144 of 145
    cowerdcowerd Posts: 579member
    Quote:

The biggest problem that IT departments face in securing a Windows network is having their portable users bring in malware on their laptops from home or the road. Going to all Powerbooks for their portable users would solve this huge security problem for Windows administrators.

How many corporate Windows laptop users out do think are even allowed to install software on their machines? At least two corporate installs I know off are locked down tight. No software installs (even for internal developers) and smart card only access.
  • Reply 145 of 145
    Cowerd, I think you are defining my use of "malware" as something the user intentionally installs on his/her laptop.

Quote:

Originally posted by cowerd

How many corporate Windows laptop users out do think are even allowed to install software on their machines? ...

Corporate sales types and executives who shuttle their laptops from work to home and back are no longer protected by the corporate firewalls that help to keep the viruses and worms that are out in the "wild" out of their systems.

These unshielded, and often unaware users, become the "Typhoid Marys" that bring down corporate systems by being a backdoor to the corporate security system. Giving them all Apple portables is like giving them condoms for when they insert their systems into the corporation's network.