I hate the different web browsers...

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
because this images is displayed differently in each. It's perfect in Safari... just the right speed. It's slow in Netscape and really really fast in Explorer.

I know most people viewing my site probably aren't using Safari so it just sucks... I'll probably have to just have it not animate at all.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    aslan^aslan^ Posts: 599member
    looks good from Firefox...

you'll just have to bring that up to any PC people you know.

• Reply 2 of 14
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Akumulator

because this images is displayed differently in each. It's perfect in Safari... just the right speed. It's slow in Netscape and really really fast in Explorer.

I know most people viewing my site probably aren't using Safari so it just sucks... I'll probably have to just have it not animate at all.

I totally disagree. Your animated logo is a very poor test of anything relevant. I have looked at it in Safari, Mozilla, Mozilla Firebird, Camino, IE, iCab, and Opera. None look particularly good. Some are worse than others. All I see is that you are cycling through some annoying colors, but I have no idea what those colors are are what they are supposed to be. For all I know, your little flashing horsehoe would look even worse if rendered "correctly."
  • Reply 3 of 14
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    As far as I can tell, GIF's don't have a consistent FPS. Movies that have 15 frames per second will play at that rate (if the computer can keep up) while Gifs play as fast as they can unless they are told to pause for a set amount of time.

Even using Safari, the graphic is noticeably faster on my 2Ghz Dual G5 than my 400Mhz Pismo.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Quote:

Pardon me while I have an epileptic seizure
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

I totally disagree. Your animated logo is a very poor test of anything relevant. I have looked at it in Safari, Mozilla, Mozilla Firebird, Camino, IE, iCab, and Opera. None look particularly good. Some are worse than others. All I see is that you are cycling through some annoying colors, but I have no idea what those colors are are what they are supposed to be. For all I know, your little flashing horsehoe would look even worse if rendered "correctly."

Yeah well, it's just a rollover animation. I was just trying to recreate the effect that was used in a lot of Atari 2600 games. If you don't like it, that's fine... but that's not what this thread is about.

Edit: by the way, genius.... it wasn't intended to be a TEST of the browsers. And if what Ebby is saying is true about varying speed of animated gifs depending on processor speed... you might want to look at it on a more modern computer...(not: Powermac 9500/132, PowerMac G3 (beige), PowerBook G3 FireWire) and maybe you'd see it at the speed it was intended to be viewed.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Quote:

Yeah well, it's just a rollover animation. I was just trying to recreate the effect that was used in a lot of Atari 2600 games. If you don't like it, that's fine... but that's not what this thread is about.

Edit: by the way, genius.... it wasn't intended to be a TEST of the browsers. And if what Ebby is saying is true about varying speed of animated gifs depending on processor speed... you might want to look at it on a more modern computer...(not: Powermac 9500/132, PowerMac G3 (beige), PowerBook G3 FireWire) and maybe you'd see it at the speed it was intended to be viewed.

You initiated this thread with the title "I hate the different web browsers." So how is this not a thread about browsers? And Ebby said that he looked at your little creation with a 2 GHz G5. Is there a more modern Mac that somehow slipped by us? By the way, I looked at it with only one computer, but that computer is also a dual 2 GHz G5.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    On my mac it flickers very quickly (especially IE).

On my PC its much slower (P4,3.2) in IE, Netscape and Mozilla. Can you make it a time based update eg new pic every .25 of a sec.

Dobby
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Yeah, thanks a lot akumulator, I juts had 8 seizures
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by dobby

On my mac it flickers very quickly (especially IE).

On my PC its much slower (P4,3.2) in IE, Netscape and Mozilla. Can you make it a time based update eg new pic every .25 of a sec.

Dobby

It is a simple animated gif that is composed to 7 otherwise identical images in various colors. There is no way that this thing will not look bad.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

It is a simple animated gif that is composed to 7 otherwise identical images in various colors. There is no way that this thing will not look bad.

Okay mr. me.....

Your personal taste in what looks good or bad is mearly an opinion. It doesn't change the fact that the animated gif is displayed differently in different browsers. I want it to look a certain way for my site and so far Safari is the only browser that displays it that way.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    My safari (v1.2) has it flicker super speed.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Okay mr. me.....

Your personal taste in what looks good or bad is mearly an opinion. It doesn't change the fact that the animated gif is displayed differently in different browsers. I want it to look a certain way for my site and so far Safari is the only browser that displays it that way.

No it is really ugly, but perhaps in context is isn't so bad. As we discussed though it's not safari it's the speed of the machine basically. Just like flash runs at different speed in different browsers, and on different machines. The only thing you can do is put a specific time limit of space beteen images...or the images themselves and hope that their computer is fast enough to keep up the seizurific picture.

Can we see your site
  • Reply 14 of 14
    ast3r3x... the thing about different speeds in different browsers is...... I'm on this one computer and it's different depending on which browser I view it in.

And I guess the only way you'd know what effect I'm going for is if you've played and Atari 2600.

And I did specify a length of each image in the gif animation software... I forget which one I used. I think I'll just save my money and get Flash.