Intel further troubles *snicker sncker*

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
From macdoobie..

-----

Intel seems far away from having solved all the problems with the Prescott, the brand new Pentium 4.

The P4 E 3,4GHz will be one month late, while the other versions are still very rare because of the unsufficient production at 0,09 microns. Worse, the release of the 3,7GHz has been postponed to approximatively six months later.

The aim of 4 GHz for the late 2004 seems definitively abandoned.

If IBM succeed in sticking to its roadmap, 3 GHz should be reached during the summer. With a bit luck, we'll be at 3,5 GHz by the end of 2004. For the very first time for 4 years, Apple will be back in the race for GHz, with a processor which is much more powerful at same frequency.

------

Should it pan out that way, golly its been a while since our side has lead in the mhz/ghz wars... If we do hit 3ghz at WWDC or so, there could be the very real chance that end of '04 with the new chip maybe coming on line that we could be in front.. not that the numbers matter, cause we all know that ghz for ghz we r0x0r5 more.. but nether the less it will make for interesting marketing and chest puffing.. what will the intel die hards and mags say then? more rigged speed marks an such...

Also if that sky high number is reached in Powermacs it can mean that the (pro)consumer macs will be buzzing quite nicely too with speeds comparable to the fastest Intel kit and at the iMac pricing... that will be a nice change too.. what people do with all the power who knows but enjoy the short but fun ride I say

Throw in iLife '04.5 or '05 and wow baby good times for the lower end and screaming fast times for the huge number crunches at the top end

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Macs ruled before, macs rule now, macs will always rule, but now we won't be the only ones that think so. I'm really hoping that Steve and Co. can deliver on the 3.0ghz by summer goal!
  • Reply 2 of 13
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    I work for a PC manufacturer and I couldn't resist gloating a bit today. Everyone already hassels me about being the only Mac in the building.

Thank god for the IBM/Apple alliance. At first a was a bit weary, now I'm thrilled to be rid of Motorola.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Does anyone else see 3ghz this summer as unlikely? (shipped, not announced) much less 3.5 by the end of the year. I only say this because...

Why wouldn't they speed bump to 2.5 or something in the interim. I mean the G5 is still at 1.6 to 2.0. Yet in 4 to 7 mos. they are going to be at 3? (I realize steve said they would but....)

Don't get me wrong...I have my fingers crossed that it does happen but I'm a bit skeptical.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    It will happen. Steve wouldn't have made such a promise if he wasn't sure. 0.09 G5s are already in xServes. Its just a matter of time before these chips make their way into towers. They will clock higher.

Maybe someone could post power consumption of the .09 2ghz g5 compared to the .13 2ghz g5

to me, those nubmers say it all, but i can't find where i read the specific values. It was a drastic decrease in power (and therefore heat) when going from .13 to .09

edit: forgot to mention

IBM does good work, the g5s were originally slated to start at 1.4-1.8ghz, adn we go 1.6-2.0 i wouldn't be surprised at >3ghz chips this year.

either way i'll be very happy to brag about dual 3ghz chips to PC loving friends.

now if only i could afford such a tower...
  • Reply 5 of 13
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    I can't wait to see the PC sites say "it's not about the megahertz"
  • Reply 6 of 13
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JohnHenry

Does anyone else see 3ghz this summer as unlikely? (shipped, not announced) much less 3.5 by the end of the year. I only say this because...

Why wouldn't they speed bump to 2.5 or something in the interim. I mean the G5 is still at 1.6 to 2.0. Yet in 4 to 7 mos. they are going to be at 3? (I realize steve said they would but....)

Don't get me wrong...I have my fingers crossed that it does happen but I'm a bit skeptical.

i know people don't believe me, but understand this:

apple is ready to release new g5's. all signs and rumor posts say it is imminent (and some say it is past due). but apple and pepsi had everythign riding on the itunes/pepsi giveaway, and wanted NOTHING to take away from that publicity. period. hell, it's practically all they put up in the splash area on apple.com since the game.

now here's the problem: stores must CLEAR OUT old inventory of pepsi, and it's not a perishable, so it can sit around for weeks or months before being replaced by new packaging. so backrooms can be full of the pepsi/itunes caps, but no one has seen them yet. so apple has to keep it as their primary ad block on apple.com until the caps seriously get into the mainstream.

so where does that leave them and other product announcements? new g5's would be significant, but big enough to bump itunes from the main area on apple.com, where people will turn when they get their caps?

basically, apple's marketing and home page design has gotten them into kind of a pickle. it won't PREVENT them from making the announcement, but i am telling you steve does not want to take attention away from how he's "changing the world."

the real question is that the old wwdc used to be at that sweet spot int he spring where macworld new york/boston was too far off to wait for announcements. but now that they've pushed it into late JUNE, one wonders how they will handle product upgrades like this going forward.

also, will steve EVER keynote seybold again?
  • Reply 7 of 13
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chinney

Yea... it's all about the virusware.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chinney

I've seen comments to that effect in PC sites and magazines since the Athlon was introduced five years ago.

The MHz myth applies way more to consumers suckered in by salespeople, not the generally more literate (only generally, re:Paul Thurrott) PC geek crowd.

Barto
  • Reply 9 of 13
    krassykrassy Posts: 595member
    new powermac in the end of february! that's about the time when the xserve will ship.

btw. die-size and power-consumption of the 0.9µ 970s are less than half of the 130nm 970s
  • Reply 10 of 13
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    with the cooling in the G5 tower they could really ratchet up the speed on 90nm chips. of course, they have to be producing enough to meet demand, or at least they should.

i believe they'll make or beat their timetables. IBM is actually pretty well known for underpromising and over delivering.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by JohnHenry

[snip]

Three (I think) words: 90 nm G5.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Intel is in trouble, they got caught napping or just plain stuck technology wise, they just announced a confidence booster to throw off the investors.

Something about a chip using light instead of electrons, it's many years away yet and complete fantasy.

Meanwhile M$ and Longhorn waits, as they already have a 64 OS on AMD already.

The new 970FX chips are going to blow everything else away.