Windows - further security troubles

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Here is another security flaw - hardly worth posting about - except it is not just stuck in the back pages, but is making headlines (on CBC at least). The publicity might be due to the delay in informing us all:

http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2004/02/10/microsoft_040210

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Yep... patch them Windows systems.

A bit more detail:

http://news.com.com/2100-7355_3-5156...?tag=nefd_lede
  • Reply 2 of 7
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MCQ

Yep... patch them Windows systems.

Yeth. Windowth remindth me of the Igorth in thothe Terry Pratchett novelth.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    asenasen Posts: 93member
    yeah, best headline of the week was in the LA Times, yesterday:

Gates Fiddles as PCs Crash and Burn
  • Reply 4 of 7
    There was an article about it on the front page of the Business section of my local paper today. It is making news, I don't see why people stick with Windows...it's just one big security flaw.

Most worthless OS EV#R!
  • Reply 5 of 7
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    well.....another day another dollar...er...uah...another bug/megavirus/super-worm/hole thats been known for AT LEAST6 mon.) and what do ya know, everyone on my side of the fence, windows users, are smart enough to see that the grass is greener but too cowardly to tackle the barbed wire electric fence of M$ domination.

i however plan to teach myself unix this summer and get a mac ASAP (bad experiance in linux)
  • Reply 6 of 7
    You don't need to know Unix in order to use a Mac. If you want to know how things work under the hood, you can learn it at your convenience.

It is sad that after all this effort, M$ is going to rewrite the operating system for longhorn. There is no end in sight for security issues if they keep upgrading the operating system design every few years. I am still not able to convince my father to give up on his PC though. He says everyone is using it.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by talksense101

You don't need to know Unix in order to use a Mac. If you want to know how things work under the hood, you can learn it at your convenience.

It is sad that after all this effort, M$ is going to rewrite the operating system for longhorn. There is no end in sight for security issues if they keep upgrading the operating system design every few years. I am still not able to convince my father to give up on his PC though. He says everyone is using it.

i know that macs are easy but i have always used windows and when i have a problem (at least 2x/day) i get under the hood and fix it, i like knowing how an os works, learning at least some unix just makes sence to me befor shelling out the cash to make the swap

i also have pc hardware that i want to keep so if i am to rid myself of windows i would compile/run darwin x86 as it is as close as intel will ever get to osx (i hope i am wrong in that)

i guess as a windows user i am used to having a daily catastrophy, since this is not an issue on osx, maby it would be a good learning platform in its-self.