Finally - Star Wars on DVD

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

Because he's an asshat. Or maybe he just doesn't want them to steal the thunder of the FAR worse prequel series. I always thought that the episodes 4, 5 and 6 DVDs wouldn't come out until after episodes 1, 2 and 3 came out on DVD.

I think the added scenes in the Special Edition were kind of dumb - on the other hand, the enhanced special effects I did like. Greedo shooting first was the absolute worst. Han talking to Jabba (which was just a repeat of his conversation with Greedo) was also fairly stupid. Making the snow monster look more alive and agile rather than looking like a hand puppet was good.

I might buy these sometime if I get the money.

In terms of fitting in, the han/jabba scene was good(because they actually shot it back in the day), except jabba could stand to be spruced up again.

Additionally, the new cloud city scenes were excellent!, cloud city always had a too pristine to be real look(which was great on many levels) and the additionally CGi really blended well and added a lot of depth to the place imo.

The big dance number in RoTK...I mean J () was pretty lame, made it more like a bad muppet movie or something.

all in all, the scenes did more bad than good imo, but I think if they graphically redid some of them then they could work better.
  • Reply 22 of 38
    I had heard that there were going to be a couple more changes made for these DVD editions...but I can't remember where the info came from. Allegedly there will some good changes (Greedo shooting first removed, better CG Jabba with no stepping on tail) and some crappy changes (a few clones style stormtroopers CGd into scenes, use of the awful Love Theme music) and some changes that, while not particularly crappy, still feel wrong (insertion of the Imperial March music into the first film).

I'll see if I can find the original list...

(so ashamed of myself for becoming a big geek w/r/t Star Wars)
  • Reply 23 of 38
    Found something...but now that I've read the entire thing it sounds like something someone with too much time on their hands came up with to taunt people on the internet with.

clicky
  • Reply 24 of 38
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    So is the improved picture and sound quality beyond that added into the re-release of the films a few years ago? I suppose they could have digitally remastered some scenes again to look more realistic / sound better a second time....

Also I thought Ep 3 was supposed to be this May and not next; did Lucas delay it because of the final LotR chapter / not wanting to share the spotlight I wonder? Hell the RotK DVD will spark more interest than the actual screening of Ep 3.

• Reply 25 of 38
    cooopcooop Posts: 390member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kneelbeforezod

I had heard that there were going to be a couple more changes made for these DVD editions...

One change being planned (or so I read from a rumor-site) was the inclusion of Natalie Portman in a dream/remembrance sequence of Return of the Jedi. Ugh. I think Lucas is having a bit too much fun with his CGI. Sometimes, less is more.

Quote:

Originally posted by kneelbeforezod

...use of the awful Love Theme music

I like the love theme (I assume you're referring to Across the Stars from Episode II). John Williams is a god among men.
  • Reply 26 of 38
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    John Williams is amazing. Does he write music just to write it, any pieces that aren't for movies? Lucas was lucky to catch him, he's half of Star Wars.

Superkaratemonkeydeathcar you can't rip those can you? I'd LOVE to get ahold of the Laserdisc rips. Bittorrent always goes at .1k/s though which is so disgusting it makes me want to puke in mouth and eat it. Bittorrent was supposed to be fast! I let upload at 20k/s for 10 or 15 users, as I have a connection that's much faster than that, and to no avail.
  • Reply 27 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by cooop

One change being planned (or so I read from a rumor-site) was the inclusion of Natalie Portman in a dream/remembrance sequence of Return of the Jedi. Ugh. I think Lucas is having a bit too much fun with his CGI. Sometimes, less is more.

Lucasfilm has denied that rumor. It isn't going to happen.
  • Reply 28 of 38
    cooopcooop Posts: 390member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Willoughby

Lucasfilm has denied that rumor. It isn't going to happen.

Thank God!
  • Reply 29 of 38
    Wait I thought that companies denying rumors meant that it WOULD happen

\
  • Reply 30 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

John Williams is amazing. Does he write music just to write it, any pieces that aren't for movies? Lucas was lucky to catch him, he's half of Star Wars.

Superkaratemonkeydeathcar you can't rip those can you? I'd LOVE to get ahold of the Laserdisc rips. Bittorrent always goes at .1k/s though which is so disgusting it makes me want to puke in mouth and eat it. Bittorrent was supposed to be fast! I let upload at 20k/s for 10 or 15 users, as I have a connection that's much faster than that, and to no avail.

When BT first dropped it was amazing, I would get 400-600k/sec off my cable modem. This was mainly because everyone was really excited about it, and using it for it's intended purpose, mass seeding of legal and popular files(such as the RvB movies or the Star Wars kid videos)

But, as BT got more embedded into the warezing culture, people started to circumvent the upload part of it, but the problem with this is, that then they are getting but not giving, slowing the whole process down. I have seen many hacks and/or different version of BT that enable you to set a 1/k sec upload speed, and while that is useful for you, it's only useful for you, and it hurts the nature of the program.

I think it's a brilliant program, but, it certainly has fallen to the dark side for many files.

Last night, I did get UT2k4 demo @ ~200k/sec for parts of it, and 300k/sec for other parts...of course that was after bearing with 4-20k/sec for about an hour \
  • Reply 31 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by cooop

I like the love theme (I assume you're referring to Across the Stars from Episode II).

Okay, so maybe it's not awful....but it's no Imperial March
  • Reply 32 of 38
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    Nah. I'm just going to breakout my "Star Wars The Definitive Collection" LaserDiscs (the original films before the special editions), capture them to my hard drive, compress them to MPEG2 and burn them to DVD-Rs.

This way I have a lasting copy of the films I saw as a child when the LD player finally breaks down.
  • Reply 33 of 38
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Can you send me those MPEG-2s perchance??? I'll be eternally greatful!
  • Reply 34 of 38
    I guess I am the only one who would like to see if Lucas could produce a MEGA-SUPREME version of 4-6 by using old film, cleaning it up, and just CGI-ing the **** out of it. I mean talking about painting everything but the real people.

I think by trying to connect the two trilogies, it will make for a better series. But, don't **** up the characters (Greedo shooting first).
  • Reply 35 of 38
    IT'S A TRAP!!!
  • Reply 36 of 38
    I think this is a good time to revive(draw attention to again) this wonderful piece of fan work Star Wars: the musical
  • Reply 37 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

I think this is a good time to revive(draw attention to again) this wonderful piece of fan work Star Wars: the musical

Hmm, in the QuickTime version, I see at least two easter eggs.

- Washburn's head on Luke's video monitor?

- His contact info in the red laser blast between 2:30-2:35
  • Reply 38 of 38
    Can't blame him, he worked hard on those videos