Major speed boost come MWSF

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    So what is the name of this company? I want to work for them. Google finds a company called "Carlin...".

Any ideas where this sick hardware is being used?
  • Reply 22 of 33
    [quote]Originally posted by JW Pepper:

<strong>I hope that the new Power Macs have been re-designed to provide enough power for two ADC LCD screens. Having a twin cinema display set-up would just be heaven.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Doods, please partake this sexual fantasy:

G5

5.1 Surround sound from some Nabob of a built in surround sound card.

Some way to wire up three 22inch displays, one in front, and two on each side.

You'd have the world's most bitchin' flight simulator for under $20,000.00

Makes me, uh - glad - to picture it.

'tis only fantasy tho'

&lt;sigh&gt;
  • Reply 23 of 33
    [quote]Originally posted by JW Pepper:

<strong>I hope that the new Power Macs have been re-designed to provide enough power for two ADC LCD screens. Having a twin cinema display set-up would just be heaven.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Couldn't you just get a projector unit and a large(and high quality) screen? you'd probably save money(2 cinema displays is plus 5000 dollars, a good projector i think is like 2000-3000 or so, a good screen probably like 200 dollars or something)

or even pimper why not a 50 inch hd tv flatscreen

or something like that?
  • Reply 24 of 33
    <a href="http://www.cpuscorecard.com"; target="_blank">www.cpuscorecard.com</a> rates the PowerMac G4 dual 800 as 93% of the speed of a Athlon XP 1900.

80% for the 867Mhz G4.
  • Reply 25 of 33
    falconfalcon Posts: 458member
    [quote]equil a 1.9GHz Athlon<hr></blockquote>

whoo AMD's new naming sceme is really working. lol.
  • Reply 26 of 33
    [quote]Originally posted by Amorph:

<strong>AirSluf wrote:

Until it can do 2*64 it's no help in e.g. LightWave.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Uh, no. Lightwave 7.0b uses AltiVec, and shows a four fold increase in performance in some cases. check <a href="http://www.lightwave3d.com/news/press/LightWave[7b].9-20-01.html&quot; target="_blank">this link.</a>
  • Reply 27 of 33
    msleemslee Posts: 143member
    hey gamblor. what's happening?
  • Reply 28 of 33
    msleemslee Posts: 143member
    hey gamblor, did you see your member number? lucky bastard.
  • Reply 29 of 33
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
  • Reply 30 of 33
    [quote]This is a developer selected bottleneck, not a machine inability to do a task. I know that doesn't help in something like Lightwave, but much of the problem is developer unwillingness or inability to program to hardwares advantage, rather than just get it working and out the door. That problem isn't Mac specific but for all platforms.<hr></blockquote>

You're right--that's why I choose the more generic SIMD rather than Altivec. Glad to see that rendering might be able to be sped up with a little developer work. I do arch rendering and while its not hair or fur, there's a great need for accurate lighting representation and accurate textures and reflections--lots of glass and metal. Clients are paying a lot to see something and it better look really close to the real thing.

sluf: ignore the radiosity post--its the exaggerated result of a few years of people on forums telling me that my mac is fast enough and G4's are faster than P4's/Athlon's [no matter the clockspeed] and altivec is the savior of mankind. needless to say I am fairly obsessed with an AthlonMP rendering box, but that can wait until after Jan.
  • Reply 31 of 33
    [quote] Couldn't you just get a projector unit and a large(and high quality) screen? you'd probably save money(2 cinema displays is plus 5000 dollars, a good projector i think is like 2000-3000 or so, a good screen probably like 200 dollars or something)

or even pimper why not a 50 inch hd tv flatscreen

or something like that? <hr></blockquote>

One word: Resolution.
  • Reply 32 of 33
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I though the P4 was the CPU witht he impressive FP numbers. I had horrible integer performance though.
  • Reply 33 of 33
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong>I though the P4 was the CPU witht he impressive FP numbers. I had horrible integer performance though.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Nope, even P3 has better FP performance at similar clockrates. P4s FP unit was downgraded to help it clock higher.