Ripping a DVD?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I found an app called forty-two. It's supposed to be able to rip a DVD into mpeg format, which is what I want. However, it leaves me with a bin and cue file. I have no idea what to do with these. I just want a simple method of ripping a DVD into mpg. Any ideas?

EDIT: By the way, I think forty-two rips DVDs straight to avi, and although it rips to mpg format, it's only for burning to DVDs? I think... But I want something that will rip straight to mpg.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ganondorf

I found an app called forty-two. It's supposed to be able to rip a DVD into mpeg format, which is what I want. However, it leaves me with a bin and cue file. I have no idea what to do with these. I just want a simple method of ripping a DVD into mpg. Any ideas?

EDIT: By the way, I think forty-two rips DVDs straight to avi, and although it rips to mpg format, it's only for burning to DVDs? I think... But I want something that will rip straight to mpg.

Use toast and keep the bin and cue file in same folder. Go to burn image, select the cue file, and it will burn it for you.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    Do you understand that I want an .mpg file in the end, and not another DVD?
  • Reply 3 of 15
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    go to macupdate.com

search for

handbrake

bestest easiest dvd ripper around
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Quote:

Do you understand that I want an .mpg file in the end, and not another DVD?

It could be a mpg file inside it, who knows, LoL.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Okay, I downloaded Handbrake. I do like the way it feels better than forty-two so far. But it still apparently only rips to AVI.

Which is fine, I guess you can only apparently rip a DVD to either AVI or separate bin files. Because I have yet to find a ripper that rips to MPEG.

So with that in mind, what if I want to convert the AVI to MPEG after I rip it, what should I do?
  • Reply 6 of 15
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Okay, I downloaded Handbrake. I do like the way it feels better than forty-two so far. But it still apparently only rips to AVI.

Which is fine, I guess you can only apparently rip a DVD to either AVI or separate bin files. Because I have yet to find a ripper that rips to MPEG.

So with that in mind, what if I want to convert the AVI to MPEG after I rip it, what should I do?

I'm rusty as I haven't wanted to do that in a long time but I recall ffmpeg being very complex but good for converting like that. I know there is another but can't think of it right now.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    mplayer will do it. You use the -dumpstream -dumpfile options. DeCSSes (if necessary - hey, it's legal now!) the raw MPEG stream and dumps it to disk.

You need to use the command line part of MPlayer should you download the special "OS X" version, which I think is actually in the Contents/Resources subdirectory of the MPlayer.app package (eg you access it like:

"/Applications/MPlayer OS X 2/Contents/Resources/mplayer" -dvd 1 -dumpstream -dumpfile output.mpg

It's been a while since I did this so my memory's a little hazy.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Originally posted by peharri

mplayer will do it. You use the -dumpstream -dumpfile options. DeCSSes (if necessary - hey, it's legal now!) the raw MPEG stream and dumps it to disk.

You need to use the command line part of MPlayer should you download the special "OS X" version, which I think is actually in the Contents/Resources subdirectory of the MPlayer.app package (eg you access it like:

"/Applications/MPlayer OS X 2/Contents/Resources/mplayer" -dvd 1 -dumpstream -dumpfile output.mpg

It's been a while since I did this so my memory's a little hazy.

I have a file tht I want to back up . . .its on my computer . . a ripped DVD that got all scratched . . . um . . . I used Davideo to rip it and I want to burn another DVD

how do I get beyond it being copyprotected . . .

with this DeCSS thingy?

How's it work?
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Okay, let me just say the whole situation right now.

I'm not great with a Mac, so bear with me.

GOAL: to rip the contents of a dvd into a file that i can open and use in iMovie to edit into other clips and mix around and put music over, etc. (you know, stuff you do with iMovie)

CURRENT STATUS:

I am using Handbrake to rip the contents of the DVD into .AVI file format. when I click the file, Quicktime opens and tells me that it is missing a compressor or something to view the file and I can't view it. I can click play, and it goes through the motions, but there's no audio or video. Same thing when I open it through iMovie.

What do I do to remedy this problem?

btw I'm using OS 10.3.2

UPDATE:

Nevermind! I installed DivX and that provided me with the codec I needed.

Thanks all for your help and software recommendations.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    I think that you can get DivX or something like that . . . or if you have access to a computer with Cleaner you can recompress your AVI into Mpeg . . . perhaps even Qicktime Pro will do it . . . if you have it simply open up your movie then save as mpg or quicktime . . . I think that might work though I have never tried it

as for my question above think Ill post a thread about it
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

I think that you can get DivX or something like that

Yes, thank you!

Behold, I'm in business!

http://www.dpo.uab.edu/~easy/AMVtest.mov

(just an unedited, muted, DBZ intro sequence with music)
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Actually, I just realized that .mov file I created is ridiculously small. It's impossible for the video I made to be stored in that file. How am I supposed to attach the information in the Media subfolder to the .mov file? (Referring to iMovie)

EDIT:

Nevermind, I found my answer. (Again.)

For anyone curious: http://www.danslagle.com/mac/iMovie/...ins/3001.shtml

UPDATE:

Unfortunately, now the file is 8 megs (exceeding my standard-issue 5mb student storage limit) and I can't find any free hosting services that allow you have files in excess of 5MB a piece. Guess I should start considering that .Mac membership.

UPDATE... v2.0:

Actually, there must be no upload buffer, or my storage limit is larger than I thought. Here is the file:

http://www.dpo.uab.edu/~easy/dbzmofire.mov

Enjoy
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Doesn't VLC have an option to stream video to a file in mpeg format? I am not sure if it is Mpeg4, but it has to be better than dealing with AVI files.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

I have a file tht I want to back up . . .its on my computer . . a ripped DVD that got all scratched . . . um . . . I used Davideo to rip it and I want to burn another DVD

how do I get beyond it being copyprotected . . .

with this DeCSS thingy?

How's it work?

If you use MPlayer's -dumpstream thing, it'll DeCSS it automatically.

Edit:

Incidentally, noticing the smiley, I should add a disclaimer - there are legitimate reasons for ripping a DVD (backups, creating a media jukebox (my intent), converting to VCD for use on older laptops, etc), and there are illegitimate ones. I hope the sarcasm is "ironic", and you are genuinely copying a DVD you own for your own personal use.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Whoa hold off on that cryptic command line crap. Won't the new DicXRay 3 do it?