Sounds like a pretty good deal! (Va Tech G5's for sale)

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

Link from MacMall

[edit: link fixed by Brad]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Link is broken. And it's not much of a good deal considering you can get a new dual 2ghz for $2699 in the Apple ed store.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

Link is broken. And it's not much of a good deal considering you can get a new dual 2ghz for $2699 in the Apple ed store.

Well, it does have the extra RAM, and you can avoid sales tax if you live in the right states...And it's a piece of history!
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Here's the correct link

http://www.macmall.com/macmall/promo...=supercomputer

It does have a Airport Extreme card as well.

By the way I have a very good hunch that the "Big Mac" is going to get even bigger.

The present space occupied by the Towers if replaced by X-Servers will yield a cluster bigger and faster than the Earth Simulator. Thus bringing the supercomputer title home to the US.

There's too much of Steve's ego to let this opportunity pass.

Hopefully the VT Towers will come with some sort of documentation or engraving.

A Lisa 1 sold on eBay for $10,000 recently, and it still worked.

"Dual Processor 2.0GHz PowerPC G5, 1GB DDR SDRAM (2x512MB), 160GB ATA Drive, SuperDrive, ATI RADEON 9600 Pro, NIC, 3-USB 2.0, 2-USB 1.1, 2-FW 400, 1-FW 800, AP Extreme Ready, *No Modem*"
  • Reply 4 of 12
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    AirPort Extreme Ready means no card actually.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

AirPort Extreme Ready means no card actually.

Right! Good point! That's something I'll ask them about in a few hours when their support is open.

So one will have to buy a card and a base station as well, not looking so good now. Good thing I already have a base station.

So far the normal salespeople have no idea exactly when they will be in or if there is going to be any sort of documentation or proof these came from VT.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    i already started a thread before this one over in current hardware, cause.... this is current hardware.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

i already started a thread before this one over in current hardware, cause....

Except that purchasing advice goes in General Discussion and that's what this is all about: selling/buying some refurb G5s.

Thanks for the tip. I'll close your other thread now.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Doesn't come with a modem. I would hope there's a certificate of authenticity or perhaps a plaque on the case veryifing its origins?
  • Reply 9 of 12
    The good thing is that you know it is not a lemon. . . three months of burn in in a rack will guarantee the components pretty much.

Might have some scratches though.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

Doesn't come with a modem. I would hope there's a certificate of authenticity or perhaps a plaque on the case veryifing its origins?

do you really still use a modem? or need one for that matter?
  • Reply 11 of 12
    I guess this means we'll be soon inundated with people selling "Authentic Virginia Tech MAC G5's!!!" on eBay. I suppose this is going to be to Mac users what those bits of the Berlin Wall were to history buffs.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

do you really still use a modem? or need one for that matter?

It's good to have simply as a last resort.

A couple of years ago my DSL went out when I really, really needed the 'net and my old 533 DP did not have a modem (the provider "gave my circuit to someone else by mistake").

I had to run across the street to Best Buy and get a chumpy $20 modem to slap in my peecee gaming rig.

It happens.

Better safe than sorry.

Get a modem (or get a PowerBook like I eventually did ).