Oh the maddness: Comcast makes bid for Disney

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    When I called Comcast to get a cable modem, I told them I just wanted the modem, nothing else. They said it would be $60/mo. I asked them why it was so expensive. The rep then explained if I signed up for super basic cable that gets me about 10 channels, I would only pay $50/mo. for that and the cable modem.

I didn't really understand it, but whatever. When I had cable service with RCN, I paid $30/mo. for a cable modem that had 5Mbps downstream and 1.5Mbps upstream. I really miss that.
  • Reply 22 of 31
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LoCash

When I called Comcast to get a cable modem, I told them I just wanted the modem, nothing else. They said it would be $60/mo. I asked them why it was so expensive. The rep then explained if I signed up for super basic cable that gets me about 10 channels, I would only pay $50/mo. for that and the cable modem.

I didn't really understand it, but whatever. When I had cable service with RCN, I paid $30/mo. for a cable modem that had 5Mbps downstream and 1.5Mbps upstream. I really miss that.

dang, verizon dsl 768/128 (not lightning but the 12 year old 5 miles away cant hack me over the "LAN/WAN") is 29.99 here

3 mb insight cable is 45 lest you have digi-catv (i keep it only for techtv) then it is 35, comcast is so expensive compared to say...directv + a dsl line, why do soo many people keep staying with comcast?

in a related story,

Bill Gates offered Saten an undisclosed amount for 'Evil' and was regected so he meets next week with the lead demons and speaks 2 months from now to the annual minion meeting: can you say hostil takeover?
  • Reply 23 of 31
    Eisner is really under the gun now that Disney is under a hostile take over attempt by Comcast.

Roy Disney accuses Eisner of ripping off the company.

http://www.forbes.com/home_europe/ne...tr1258382.html
  • Reply 24 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

dang, verizon dsl 768/128 (not lightning but the 12 year old 5 miles away cant hack me over the "LAN/WAN") is 29.99 here

3 mb insight cable is 45 lest you have digi-catv (i keep it only for techtv) then it is 35, comcast is so expensive compared to say...directv + a dsl line, why do soo many people keep staying with comcast?

The problem with DSL is that although it may only be $30 for the DSL service, you actually need a telephone line as well. I don't have a landline. I just have a cell phone. I was going to go the DSL route, but spending a half an hour on Verizon's web site trying to find a landline plan that didn't limit me with minutes... it was looking like it was going to cost me $32/mo. for local phone service. What the hell is that about?

So I pay $55/mo. for a cell phone, $50/mo. for a cable modem (That, thank God, doesn't do PPPoE) and like 10 cable channels. I should also note when I lived in an area that was serviced by RCN, I paid $95/mo. for that kickin' cable modem, like 90 cable channels, and local unlimited phone service to all of Massachusetts.
  • Reply 25 of 31
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Just remember the new cable modem subscriber can get the internet service for $24.50 CDN / month (for the first 6 months)

Now I guess if you want cheap high speed internet and music CDs. Stay in Western Canada
  • Reply 26 of 31
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LoCash

[B]The problem with DSL is that although it may only be $30 for the DSL service, you actually need a telephone line as well. I don't have a landline. I just have a cell phone. I was going to go the DSL route, but spending a half an hour on Verizon's web site trying to find a landline plan that didn't limit me with minutes... it was looking like it was going to cost me $32/mo. for local phone service. What the hell is that about?...

well we have a land line and imho, cellphones arn't worth the price, they all either sound like a walki-talki or a tin can
  • Reply 27 of 31
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Do like me: Own your own ISP and get a 3-5 mbit line for 8 of your inflation struck dollars per month.
  • Reply 28 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Do like me: Own your own ISP and get a 3-5 mbit line for 8 of your inflation struck dollars per month.

Explain how!!!
  • Reply 29 of 31
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    In the bay area, cable modem service was never lower than $40/month, so the latest hikes aren't that bad relative to elsewhere I guess. What I do miss is the 6+ mbit downloading with @Home...
  • Reply 30 of 31
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Well my feelings for Comcast aside, I have to say that I am not all for returning to big multi-billion dollar mergers. Many of these mergers are done with stock, which, to some degree, hurts the investor. I donno, I understand it all from a business and investment standpoint, but the logical person inside me says it's all hooey.

It seems that once a company can no longer expand in one area without huge profits, they tend to "go vertical" and soon take control of the foodchain. I realize that this is primarily driven by the investors, but wouldn't owning all production on a film from lets say a film school, to a studio, to a video editing company, to a production company, to a distribution company, all under one roof be in some way a "Trust"? Wouldn't this kind of thing be illegal for a company like Comcast if, for instance they cut themselves better rates for ESPN?
  • Reply 31 of 31
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Hmm, I wonder if this is all part of Steve's master plan for world domination?

This merger has been front page news here for 4 days now, it's making me upset.