Where are the next gen Sony Ericsson phones?

homhom
Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Well, the T610 and P900 have been out for a while now. What's in the pipeline? Where is the next phone that makes the all the Mac geeks wet themselves? My T616 is getting a little long in the tooth right now and I'm looking to upgrade.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    your t616 is getting long in the (blue)tooth? damn dude, im still cugging away on my nokia 6300 cuz i have yet to find a phone i want. its really quite depressing, honestly. what i really want is a GSM/GPRS phone, preferably from nokia (love the feel of nokia's os), in a similar form factor as my current one, with bluetooth. camera would be a plus.

so far, i have yet to find one
  • Reply 2 of 27
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Throw that 616 my way! I could use a phone.
  • Reply 3 of 27
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    [Removed at the request of Sony Ericsson]
  • Reply 4 of 27
    knappaknappa Posts: 106member
    That looks like my next cell phone. I'd been wondering about getting a Siemens SX1 or SE P900, but I don't need all the built-in stuff. And this looks a little better.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Well, by the time that puppy's out, I should be ready to trade in my T610 for the new generation of SE phone.
  • Reply 6 of 27
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    OOOO!! I want that phone now! I am still waiting on T-Mobile to carry the T630 so I can swap my T610 for that.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    Just wait for next Pxx.

WiFi connectivity, among few other things..
  • Reply 8 of 27
    That phone and Pxxx are not my cup of tea.

I am waiting for the T630 and retire my solid Nokia 8290 (over 3-yr)
  • Reply 9 of 27
    Poking around www.clubsonyericsson.com I found a picture for what looks like a Treo 600 killer. It seems to be running the same Symbian OS as the P8/900, but in a more "professional" case.

• Reply 10 of 27
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by HOM

Poking around www.clubsonyericsson.com I found a picture for what looks like a Treo 600 killer. It seems to be running the same Symbian OS as the P8/900, but in a more "professional" case.

HOM: That's actually an old prototype that Ericsson showed long before the P800 came out. The fat antenna is typical of Ericsson (before Sony) phones of the time. I love the look of fat antennas. Oddly enough, Handspring stole the fat antenna idea from Ericsson for the Treo 600.

I'm still torn about all these smartphones....

Escher
  • Reply 11 of 27
    I like that phone because it doesn't have that smartphone look. I don't want my cell phone to look like a PDA, I want it to be a phone...
  • Reply 12 of 27
    SE seems to be dragging their feet releasing the Z600 in the States. It's been available in Europe for over 6 months now. I bought one on eBay about 3 months ago 'cos I was sick of going into the Cingular store and asking when it would be available and being met with blank looks.

Don't know if it's out yet, but it's a great phone.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    I wonder if I buy a T630 off of ebay, if it will actually work with T-Mobile in the states.

Does anyone know if this would work?
  • Reply 14 of 27
    Is that phone's display larger than the T630's or is the phone itself smaller?

The materials used in the T610 (Aluminium and the piano-like high-gloss plastics) so much nicer than anyting used in the current phones - I was pretty disappointed that the P900's case is made from plastic instead of Al)
  • Reply 15 of 27
    the T630 should work fine in the US.

Any Tri-Band phone - that is GSM 900/1800/1900 - will work anywhere in the world. Depending on where you buy it though, it may need to be 'unlocked' to work with your network. The phone I got off eBay was unlocked, so I just had to stick in the sim card from my old T68i.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    All you guys should feel lucky you aren't with Sprint. If you want a shitty phone selection, go sign up with them. My contract expires next month, and I'll be jumping to T Mobile. I'm looking forward to that, but I'm more interested in the z600 SonyEricsson phone. Anyone know when T Mobile was planning on carrying that?
  • Reply 17 of 27
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LoCash

All you guys should feel lucky you aren't with Sprint.

My sympathies. I've heard seperate stories of their sucky reception, sucky customer service, and sucky phones. I don't know what about their service ISN'T sucky. \
  • Reply 18 of 27
    taztaz Posts: 74member
    Well, their service isnt that sucky, at least not in my area. T-Mobile, ATTWS, and Cingula GSM all suck around here. SPCS is the only carrier that has been able to give me signal everywhere my travels take me. Their CSR's suck big time, their phone selection sucks even worse. rate plans are OK, especially since I get a corporate rate through my employer. What truly sucks is their data plans for laptops. Talk about expensive. My Treo 600 works good though. I'm off contract with them this month and will stick around till newer phones come out and T-Mobile gets their coverage updated.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    Well, it happened. Sony Ericsson today introduced their 2004 lineup.

From PhoneScoop:

Quote:

Sony Ericsson today launched five new GSM phones, including two new flagship models and three models specifically for the Americas:

S700: Swivel-style tri-band model with 1.3 megapixel camera and QVGA screen supporting 262,000 colors. Also features Memory Stick Duo slot, Bluetooth, and MP3 player. Available Q4 2004.

K700: Bar-style tri-band model featuring VGA camera with flash, video recording, 32MB of memory, hi-res TFT display, MP3 player, and FM radio. Available Q2 2004.

Z500: Clamshell tri-band (850/1800/1900) model with EDGE (class 10), dual color displays, VGA camera with video recording, Push-To-Talk (PoC), and user-changeable covers. Available in the Americas in Q3 2004.

T637: Bar-style tri-band (850/1800/1900) model based on the T630, adding Push-To-Talk (PoC). Features include TFT display, camera, and Bluetooth. Available for the Americas in "Liquid Black" in Q2 2004.

T237: Entry-level, dual-band bar-style model with 4,096-color display, voice dialing, and 32-chord polyphonic ringtones. Available in "Blade Grey" for the Americas in Q2 2004.

The K700 is the much rumored T650. The only thing that is missing from the rumor is the memory stick slot. The Z500 seems to be a GSM 850 version of the Z600 plus a VGA camera. I'm not sure if the camera is really VGA or uses the same terrible software that the T630 uses to enlarge the pictures to 640x480. The T637 is just a minor bump from the T630 so American providers like Cingular and ATTW (Soon to be Cingular too) can use it in areas where they have 850 exclusively.

The real hotness phone that I am going to lie, cheat, and steal to get is the S700. Did I say I was getting a Moto previously? Whoops! Bye bye Moto!

But where is the P1000 or the much rumored P200? I guess we'll have to wait to find out.

Oh, last thing, MobileBurn has pictures of both the K700 and the S700.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    machemmachem Posts: 319member
    I just bought a 610 + TMobile this week, so I guess I'm being left in the dust, but I'm looking forward to bluetooth and actually being able to *use* the datebook functionality. I'm coming off NexTel and a Moto i80s.