970 Fx at 2.5 GHz!

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

That would probably be a SINGLE G5, remember, the 2.0 speed is achieved with 2 processors.

In a situation like this, I recommend calling Vinny's Foot -In-Mouth removal service. They do great work on the cheap.

• Reply 22 of 37
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
  • Reply 23 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jubelum

In a situation like this, I recommend calling Vinny's Foot -In-Mouth removal service. They do great work on the cheap.

I just want to know how he got to over 1500 posts without someone in this community realizing he was "special".
  • Reply 24 of 37
    no kidding... that can't be for real.. he was just jokin ha... ahhh... hmmmm
  • Reply 25 of 37
    like he says, Technology is dominated by two types of people: those who understand what they do not manage, and those who manage what they do not understand. Putts Law ... just kidding.. oh wait.
  • Reply 26 of 37
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    Quote:

Originally posted by oldmacfan

That is also Oscar night in Hollywood, and it is also the second biggest day for commercials (After the Super Bowl).

And Steve is a Movie guy and hmmm...I smell a rumor...

That is also the day of the grand opening of the Apple Store in San Francisco. Not going to happen...
  • Reply 27 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by kid k

no kidding... that can't be for real.. he was just jokin ha... ahhh... hmmmm

just for the record, he lists his native language as English. (seriously?! )
  • Reply 28 of 37
    and I was accused of being the frozen caveman... yes, running a 130nm at 2Ghz would be WAY too hot! j/k
  • Reply 29 of 37
    krassykrassy Posts: 595member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

That would probably be a SINGLE G5, remember, the 2.0 speed is achieved with 2 processors. I assume that the 130nm could achieve the 2.0 speed with only one processor, but it would be too hot. I would be willing to bet that the 90nm could hit speeds higher than 2.5ghz with only a single processor. It's gonna be sweet when the Rev. 2s come out.

this is the coolest post ever thank you DMBand0026.

and btw: i think you're right - the 90nm 970fx can reach higher speeds than 2.5Ghz with only a single processor. put two of them into a dual powermac and we've got more than a dual 5Ghz-machine... wow!!!

eh?
  • Reply 30 of 37
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Wow, I'm still amazed at the fact that the SSOI process, and die shrink resulted in about half the power output. Going from 51 to 25 watts is great. I really can't wait to see that 1.4 Ghz G5 in a Powerbook.
  • Reply 31 of 37
    Cyborg/Android spam e-mails:

Reduce your penis size using SSOI. Is your penis too large? Does it dissipate so much heat that you had to buy a 9-fan thermoweave underwear? Do girl cyborgs/androids laugh at the performance of your penis? Reduce your penis size NOW!!!
  • Reply 32 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

Cyborg/Android spam e-mails:

Reduce your penis size using SSOI. Is your penis too large? Does it dissipate so much heat that you had to buy a 9-fan thermoweave underwear? Do girl cyborgs/androids laugh at the performance of your penis? Reduce your penis size NOW!!!

ummm......
  • Reply 33 of 37
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    <We now return to our regularly scheduled thread>

Can anyone do me a favour and illuminate the whole bus-speed/multiplier situation for the G5? From what I can draw, a 2.5Ghz processor would need a 1.25Ghz bus, ie- processor = 2x bus.

I remember all the talk during the PM-G4 days about how multipliers of certain sizes were stupid because they would leave a processor at say 1.XX Ghz. That's what we have now, G4s rated at hundreths of a Ghz. Such fun. And inane discussions like "My 1.42 is much better than your 1.25" have been a blast around the office. Amazing how we act over a few processor cycles.

Is the bus speed all about yield like the CPU, or are we dealing with set multiplier with the G5? (currently 100Mhz at a time...)

And BTW, I DO have Vinny's on speed dial...

</dizzy>
  • Reply 34 of 37
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

Can anyone do me a favour and illuminate the whole bus-speed/multiplier situation for the G5? From what I can draw, a 2.5Ghz processor would need a 1.25Ghz bus, ie- processor = 2x bus.

They said PPC970 supports only one 2x bus speed multiplier, i.e. FSB frequency is half the CPU frequency. Please, feel free to correct me if I talk out of my ass.

Now, with PPC970fx, if I'm not mistaken, they speak about some elastic bus. I haven't seen any official info on this one, but its name suggests either more frequency ratio multipliers or some dynamic nature. I've also read somewhere on ArsForums that some people believe that 1.1GHz is the maximum speed of Apple's system controller, which, if true, complicates things a bit.

In short, as far as I know, we don't know anything for sure yet.
  • Reply 35 of 37
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    The PPC970 supported 2x, 3x, 4x and 6x multipliers. Its bus has always been known as an elastic bus and Apple's system controller should scale just as easily as the bus. It's just a matter of how much heat it puts out and if the signal integrity can be maintained, although I doubt there will be issues on either count.
  • Reply 36 of 37
    krassykrassy Posts: 595member
    apple will probably use that new SSOI 90nm fabrication-process too for the system-controller? any hints on that?
  • Reply 37 of 37
    Quote:

Is the bus speed all about yield like the CPU, or are we dealing with set multiplier with the G5? (currently 100Mhz at a time...)

You should take a look at Hannibal's excellent article at Arstechnica:

http://arstechnica.com/cpu/02q2/ppc970/ppc970-2.html

Note that the 970 has a (comparatively) large instruction cache.