Why go all Dualies in the PM line?

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 43
    stevessteves Posts: 108member
    [quote]Originally posted by G-News:

<strong>I'll tell you guys in 6 weeks when that baby arrives here.

"Going to scream, it is."

G-News</strong><hr></blockquote>

Congratulations G-News! Personally, I'm tired of waiting and didn't want to wait another 6 weeks. Likewise, I settled for a dual 1 GHZ. Of course, since it's a custom model (Geforce 4Ti, 120GB, 512mb, etc.) it didn't yet ship. Though, it appears as though my monitor is on route!

I have a need for powerful Photoshop, Video editing/compression performance. From what I've seen, the dual 1 GHZ G4 should do nicely.

Steve
  • Reply 42 of 43
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I had a fit over this yesterday, and as I precieved it in the end was that the tests that were run by barefeats were all altivec tests. Now, the altivec unit on the 1GHz processors has not changed a bit, and is getting maximum throughput already. Therefore there is no bottleneck. The tests are not going to show improvements because the altivec unit is operating at it's maximum already, and getting maximum throughput.

It's like your cablemodem. If your maximum download capability's provided from your ISP is 500kbps, and you upgraded from an older Mac with10/100 to a newer one with 10/100/1000 gigabit ethernet would you notice a differance? Obviously not. Your never going to reach the 10MBps milestone from your original ethernet card let alone the 100, or 1000MBps.

The problem with the test is that they need to run a wide range of applications, and not those bullShiet photoshop altivec tests.
  • Reply 43 of 43
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    [quote]Originally posted by onlooker:

<strong>I had a fit over this yesterday, and as I precieved it in the end was that the tests that were run by barefeats were all altivec tests. Now, the altivec unit on the 1GHz processors has not changed a bit, and is getting maximum throughput already. Therefore there is no bottleneck. The tests are not going to show improvements because the altivec unit is operating at it's maximum already, and getting maximum throughput.

It's like your cablemodem. If your maximum download capability's provided from your ISP is 500kbps, and you upgraded from an older Mac with10/100 to a newer one with 10/100/1000 gigabit ethernet would you notice a differance? Obviously not. Your never going to reach the 10MBps milestone from your original ethernet card let alone the 100, or 1000MBps.

The problem with the test is that they need to run a wide range of applications, and not those bullShiet photoshop altivec tests.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Agreed Rob Art Morgan means well but he needs to standardize on a group of tests and methodologies that he feels comfortable with. Tests that stress Disk Performance and Memory bandwidth and more so that a clear picture can be formed. This will lead more credence to any and all benchmarks that he does in the future.