finder copy permissions

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
i did a flat drag and drop copy of my home directory to a firewire drive for backup, and the finder asked me to enter my password, after telling me that i may need to enter an administrator password to make changes to john (which is my username and therefore the name of my home directory). does anyone have any idea why a copy would want to write to the original file(s)? maybe it is logging some info in .DS_Store?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnjosephbachir

i did a flat drag and drop copy of my home directory to a firewire drive for backup, and the finder asked me to enter my password, after telling me that i may need to enter an administrator password to make changes to john (which is my username and therefore the name of my home directory). does anyone have any idea why a copy would want to write to the original file(s)? maybe it is logging some info in .DS_Store?

Do you own the file? Select the file and hit Cmd-I and expand the Ownership & Permissions pane. This may tell you who owns it and what you are allowed to do with the file... m.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    yes i own the file, and i have read and write permissions.

john@g5bachir:/Users$ whoami

john

john@g5bachir:/Users$ ls -l|grep john

drwxr-xr-x 76 john staff 2584 13 Feb 04:27 john/

john@g5bachir:/Users$