using .mac and keeping another url

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
is it possible to get a .mac account and make it use your own url? i have an address and it would be pretty easy to go through .mac. would this wourk through bell sympatico? thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cam'ron

is it possible to get a .mac account and make it use your own url? i have an address and it would be pretty easy to go through .mac. would this wourk through bell sympatico? thanks in advance.

I think frames would be a good way to do it. I haven't coded a page with frames in years, but I've seen them used in such a way.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    sorry, u might have misinterperted. i meant, basically, make my url forward to the .mac or sympatico site. for example my site url is www.3twelve.com, but i dont want to pay for a host (a random comapny i know nothing about, at least i know where .mac is coming from) and i want it to go to the url of the .mac site or sympatico site. i hope this clarifies things a bit more. thanks.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

sorry, u might have misinterperted. i meant, basically, make my url forward to the .mac or sympatico site. for example my site url is www.3twelve.com, but i dont want to pay for a host (a random comapny i know nothing about, at least i know where .mac is coming from) and i want it to go to the url of the .mac site or sympatico site. i hope this clarifies things a bit more. thanks.

Oh, I see what you mean. You need to get your site listed by a DNS server to go to the IP address of your machine. I don't think it's possible to do that with a .mac account. You can do it if you have a static IP. Something like zoneedit.com will let you specify the IP address of your server - in this case that can be your computer. I've got psyresearch.com registered and I use zoneedit.com as my DNS server to go to my personal server's IP address. Is that what you mean?

So you have to tell your registrar - the company you registered with - that your DNS server will be zoneedit. Then you fill out the information on zoneedit and you should be all set. There are instructions on zoneedit.com's site to walk you through it.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    DynDNS offers such a service, called MyWebHop.

http://www.dyndns.org/services/mywebhop/

Barto
  • Reply 5 of 8
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

DynDNS offers such a service, called MyWebHop.

http://www.dyndns.org/services/mywebhop/

Barto

so long as you still have the host that you usenow, just setup a page forward on index.html
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Thanks for the help. It seems that way would cheapen my website look, and I don't want it to look bad. You have to pay to get it to redirect or have pop-ups, I hate pop-ups. So, I guess I'll just fork out the cash for a host. It isn't that much to get it hosted. Ah well, so much for being a cheap bastard.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    I asked a very similar thing over on the macnn forums, and got some good suggestions ..

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=200881

... hope they help.

HS
  • Reply 8 of 8
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Just for the record, I think Cam'ron is talking about "virtual hosting," which unfortunately you cannot do with .Mac. After several years with my own domains and virtual hosting, there's simply no way I would go back to a long, convoluted URL with a tilde and other special characters. No way.

I have a relatively inexpensive (US$6/month) virtual host for several personal domains. But especially with .Mac's webmail and iSync/Address Book/iCal synchronization, it would be absolutely awesome (and very practical) to use .Mac for virtual hosting. And I wouldn't have to pay for two Web hosts.

Oh well...

Escher