New Dell laptop...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Look at the size of that thing!

Cut the chatter, Red 2!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    I guess that what you get when (A) you have no design sense, and (B) you try to cram a 3.4 GHz Intel Heat Factory into a notebook-sized enclosure.

I can just imagine how hot and noisy that thing probably is, and you'd probably be lucky to get two hours of battery life out of the thing.
  • Reply 2 of 28
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Well, at least it's a high margin product (and it has DVI-output).

From the specs page:

Quote:

Chassis

15.4-inch Wide-Aspect WUXGA display:

Height: 2.0 inch (50.8 mm)

Width: 14.1 inch (359 mm)

Depth: 10.8 inch (274 mm)

Weight: Starting at approximately 9.06 lbs. (4.11 kg) - Weight shown is with 15.4" display, CDRW/DVD drive and 12-cell battery

• Reply 3 of 28
    It looks like it would make a nice weapon to protect yourself from a mugger. I mean 9 lbs...that's a lot of weight to bash heads with.
  • Reply 4 of 28
    That is the single worst thing I've ever seen. Leave it to Dell.

Man I love being a Mac guy.

**DMBand shuffles off to find AlBook to kiss**
  • Reply 5 of 28
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DawgFather

It looks like it would make a nice weapon to protect yourself from a mugger. I mean 9 lbs...that's a lot of weight to bash heads with.

gee...looks like a suitcase, didnt a couple of hundred wmds of this size go missing from the soviat union before it's collaps, maby dell got 'glowing' reviews on the prototype
  • Reply 6 of 28
    This is neat... a real great toy for LAN parties...

If I was rich I would buy one.
  • Reply 7 of 28
    Is that Dell's opposition to the iMac? It'd be just about as easy to use on your lap / carry around...

BTW, the term is notebook. Not laptop. The reason being: you use that thing on your lap, you're in for 3rd degree burns... And you americans would sue as a result, as you couldn't use it on your lap.

Edit: typo
  • Reply 8 of 28
    LOL if i was gonna get something that thick i would just buy an xserve G5 to carry around!
  • Reply 9 of 28
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    It's BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

My PowerBook goes on eBay this afternoon!

On a serious note...[vomit]gaaaaaackkkkkk!![/vomit]

The desktop being displayed seems familiar. Like I've seen it somewhere before. On the tip of my tongue, just...can't...place...it. Oh well...
  • Reply 10 of 28
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    That thing is just nuts. Even for LAN parties.. that's what MiniPC's and flatscreens are for.

2" thick keyboard - carpal tunnel syndrome, here we come.
  • Reply 11 of 28
    At first I thought it was in some sort of docking station. I was sitting there asking myself, "That can't all be the laptop can it?" Then I realized that yep the whole thing is just the laptop.
  • Reply 12 of 28
    Its all about ergnomics people, design esthetic, eye pleasing lines and curves....and beautiful material.

Looks like Dell scored another winner...LOL

• Reply 13 of 28
    on top of the size, what's the deal with the ports and such?

the thing is covered in ports, and they are all so cluttered and inelegant.

however, were Dell an innovation based company, I'd applaud this design in one respect. You gotta start somewhere...they did cram A LOT of power into that thing, granted it's huge now, that will slim down, where apple kind of went the other direction, slimmed down and became uber sexy, and now they can't release a thicker notebook even if that'd allow them to put a g5 in there ya know?

but, chances that dell thought that?...1% at best, they'll continue to put in whatever parts they can, in whatever shape they can.
  • Reply 14 of 28
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    it is like a diaper, and the powerbooks are boxers.

.... some people piss the bed.
  • Reply 15 of 28
    Sad thing is they will probably sell a ton of these things (which on second thought is not that many)
  • Reply 16 of 28
    guestguest Posts: 112member
    Where did they hide the wheels?
  • Reply 17 of 28
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

At first I thought it was in some sort of docking station.

What, the grey and black parts don't separate?
  • Reply 18 of 28
    Not only is it attractive looking but it helps you build your back muscles with the included backpack .

Macaddict16
  • Reply 19 of 28
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Heh, look at one of the clip-on backpanels for it in Anandtech's Review:

http://anandtech.com/mobile/showdoc.html?i=1967