Veal

brbr
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I love it. Just made a batch of ground veal mixed with eggs, garlic, chili powder, and teriyaki sauce.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    Love it...

Which part's your favourite??!
  • Reply 2 of 18
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    The meat part.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    mooooooooooo???
  • Reply 4 of 18
    i love lamb....does that make me bad??

i rarely eat it, but when i do, yummy baby sheep goodness fills my tummy

g
  • Reply 5 of 18
    that's not right
  • Reply 6 of 18
    guestguest Posts: 112member
    How come there's no number for the eyeball?

Veal: soggy almost meat, more disgusting than rare prime rib. The little bastard needs to exercise some if he wants me to eat him.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    The longer the animal suffers, the better it tastes.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    My wife's grandma HATES the mention of veal. Those poor babies!

I always make comments about how much nicer it is to let them live a little longer and THEN slaughter them... while I'm ordering veal, of course.

Funny, I seriously only have veal when she visits and we go out for supper. I haven't had it otherwise in 10 years.

heh
  • Reply 9 of 18
    tmptmp Posts: 601member
    I'm wearing a leather belt, have a leather wallet, and had a nice pepperoni pizza for lunch. I'm not throwing stones.

We are temporarily at the top of the food chain. I say that within reason, we enjoy it.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Ya'll do understand how veal is produced, right?

The calf is taken from its mother immediately at birth and put on a diet of high fat synthetic milk substitute. This stuff is deliberately iron deficient so the flesh will have the milky whiteness characteristic of "good veal". The resulting anemia causes the calf to lick at its own urine and metal parts of the cage in an effort to get iron into its diet. Water is also withheld to force the calf to drink more of the fattening milk substitute.

The animal is put in a cage too small for it to turn around or lie down, where it will spend its brief and miserable life. This enforced lack of movement ensures the virtually muscle free, fatty flesh demanded by veal afficianados.

The stress on the calf is so great it tends towards a host of diseases, like chronic diarrrhea and skin lesions, so it is fed massive amounts of antibiotics just to keep it from dying to quickly. Those antibiotics remain present in the flesh, by the way, in far higher concentrations then the usual beef, so if you're a big fan of veal you better hope you never need life saving treatment with same, because odds are you have developed antibiotic resistant fauna in your gut.

I know most people consume meat that is the product of industrialized animal husbandry, but the veal industry strikes me as particularly, and unnecessarily, grotesque.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

The longer the animal suffers, the better it tastes.

explain duck then mr. know it all.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    carol acarol a Posts: 1,043member
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

Ya'll do understand how veal is produced, right?

The calf is taken from its mother immediately at birth and put on a diet of high fat synthetic milk substitute. This stuff is deliberately iron deficient so the flesh will have the milky whiteness characteristic of "good veal". The resulting anemia causes the calf to lick at its own urine and metal parts of the cage in an effort to get iron into its diet. Water is also withheld to force the calf to drink more of the fattening milk substitute.

The animal is put in a cage too small for it to turn around or lie down, where it will spend its brief and miserable life. This enforced lack of movement ensures the virtually muscle free, fatty flesh demanded by veal afficianados.

The stress on the calf is so great it tends towards a host of diseases, like chronic diarrrhea and skin lesions, so it is fed massive amounts of anitbiotics just to keep it from dying to quickly. Those anitbiotics remain present in the flesh, by the way, in far higher concentrations then the usual beef, so if you're a big fan of veal you better hope you never need life saving treatment with same, because odds are you have developed antibiotic resistant fauna in your gut.

I know most people consume meat that is the product of industrialized animal husbandry, but the veal industry strikes me as particularly, and unnecessarily, grotesque.

This is so incredibly sad. If we imagine ourselves in this situation, the true torture becomes more readily apparent. Can you imagine spending months in a device that holds you in the exact same position, without being able to lie down or turn around. Standing for months, 24 hours a day, as a child. The misery is just inconceivable to me.

If you have ever happened to see young calves in a green field with other cows and calves, the 'veal scenario' becomes even more horrific. Little calves like to romp and play and run around chasing each other across the grass. They are filled with the joy of life and the exuberance of youth.

I can see consuming veal from a calf that has lived in a field for the first few months of its life. But the veal industry is really criminally abusive to the poor little creatures in its clutches.

The same kind of horrible treatment is extended to pregnant mares, iirc, in the process of procuring hormones from their urine for the medication Premarin. I believe they are made to stand for months, without being able to lie down, while heavy with pregnancy.

The factory farms wrt chickens are also pretty inhumane apparently.

When I think of these things, I feel more and more inclined to become a vegetarian.

Carol
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Thanks addabox, I knew there was a reason I didn't eat Veal - you just reminded me in vivid detail. With great power comes great responsibility. The Nazis were "at the top of their food chain" in Germany, look what they did with that power.

Of course, I still eat meat. I can't throw stones very far.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    Veal is Beneath Contempt.

The corporate farming that is perpetrated in the United States and other countries is a sickening example of how digusting and horrifying capitalism can be in it's "race to the bottom".

.....see Matthew Scully's Dominion: The Power of Man, the Suffering of Animals, and the Call to Mercy
  • Reply 15 of 18
    I am a vegetarian. While I can tolerate people killing animals and eating them for food, doing torture to a new born is evil.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    i haven't had veal in so long that i can't remember what it tastes like. but hearing about those stupid little bastards' living conditions makes my mouth water. literally. infact, i'm actually drooling.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thuh Freak

i haven't had veal in so long that i can't remember what it tastes like. but hearing about those stupid little bastards' living conditions makes my mouth water. literally. infact, i'm actually drooling.

Well my veal dish today was excellent. I cooked the ground veal in olive oil for a little bit and then added scrambled eggs, garlic, chili powder, and some teriyaki sauce. It was damn good. I'm an equal opportunity eater. I eat the born AND unborn!
  • Reply 18 of 18
    i'm not even sure i' had veal but after seeing pictures of their life, i would never eat them