best place to pick up a 12" powerbook?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'd like to try and get my hands on one of the 1ghz 12" powerbooks with a superdrive. I can grab a student discount from apple, which is pretty nice....but not really as low as I'd like. I know you pay for apple, but still! I looked on ebay a bit and found some ending between 1300-1500 but I just want to test out all of my options. Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by stillspiraling

I'd like to try and get my hands on one of the 1ghz 12" powerbooks with a superdrive. I can grab a student discount from apple, which is pretty nice....but not really as low as I'd like. I know you pay for apple, but still! I looked on ebay a bit and found some ending between 1300-1500 but I just want to test out all of my options. Any other ideas?

Thanks!

after much research into laptops, i have reached a conclusion, if it is worth having it is worth paying a little more - and the 12 inch PBs are a steal, the pc equivalent is big bulky and expencive.

my only question is why, for anything outside of itunes anybody would want a 12 inch display, a 15 inch borders on uncomfortable (but for me would be perfect) doesnt a 12 inch screen cause a lot more fatique and eye strain or has apple done something to counter this problem?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

after much research into laptops, i have reached a conclusion, if it is worth having it is worth paying a little more - and the 12 inch PBs are a steal, the pc equivalent is big bulky and expencive.

my only question is why, for anything outside of itunes anybody would want a 12 inch display, a 15 inch borders on uncomfortable (but for me would be perfect) doesnt a 12 inch screen cause a lot more fatique and eye strain or has apple done something to counter this problem?

Well, I have a P4 2.4GHz, gig of ram desktop at home sporting dual 19" LCDs. I think this would be perfect for me to take with me to wherever I go. I'd install gentoo linux in a dual boot, and use it for coding, and learning the mac OS. That's about all I want it for.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Not many other options for you unfortunately... if you check macprices.com you'll see that most retailers, despite not charging tax in most places and sometimes including free stuff (usually after rebate though), can't match the $200 discount you'll get via the Apple Edu store.

Your other option would be eBay, but the peace of mind from ordering new from Apple directly is worth the extra couple hundred.

And the 12" laptop is really nice, I use mine for just about everything I do except for gaming.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by stillspiraling

Well, I have a P4 2.4GHz, gig of ram desktop at home sporting dual 19" LCDs. I think this would be perfect for me to take with me to wherever I go. I'd install gentoo linux in a dual boot, and use it for coding, and learning the mac OS. That's about all I want it for.

if ya wanna part with one of those lcds......
  • Reply 5 of 6
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Yea, I would just go through the educational store. You might check Smalldog , they tend to have good referb products (I do belive they cost the same as the Apple refurb products).
  • Reply 6 of 6
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

... doesnt a 12 inch screen cause a lot more fatique and eye strain or has apple done something to counter this problem?

No.