The Great American Race

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Well, today begins the 2004 Nascar season with the Daytona 500. Nascar is taking the nation by storm, even President Bush will be on hand to signal the drivers to start their engines. Who do you all think will take the checkered flag?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    bush is starting the race?!?

what is this the roman colosseum with the emperor presiding over his subjects?!?

heh but ignore my o/t posting...

nascar still isn't all that popular up here in the northeast... but I can't remember any time that the head of state started a sporting event in america save something like the olympics (which hasn't happened either...)
  • Reply 2 of 11
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

what is this the roman colosseum with the emperor presiding over his subjects?!?

We all know from Ann Coulter...

Loving NASCAR = good, down-to-earth conservative.

Not loving NASCAR = snobbish, elitist liberal.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Now you understand Shetline!!

I should dig out the picture of my Honda Civic hatchback on the Atlanta Motor Speedway....
  • Reply 4 of 11
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Too bad Dick Trickle isn't still in Wins...Nextel Cup.

I predict the winner will be the guy who turns left 800 times before anybody else.

How come the Indy 500 isn't "The Great American Race" anyway? Instead, it's "The Greatest Spectacle In Racing," and it truly is a spectacle these days, rather than a real race with real talent. When CART folds, there's not going to be any televised motorsport based in the US worth watching.

EDIT: I'll pick Tony Stewart, I guess.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    His father started the race in 1992. It didn't help in his re-election bid either.

I'm not a Nascar fan, it doesn't hold my interest.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fran441

I'm not a Nascar fan, it doesn't hold my interest.

Damned liberal!
  • Reply 7 of 11
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Is there a single NASCAR driver who can spin doughnuts?
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

Nothing beats the free publicity that a sitting President can receive. Just like the 2004 Nascar season, Bush kicked off his re-election campaign in style.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    I wish I had one of those flying machines to use when I don´t want to take the bike to the stadium.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    I really just do not find Nascar fun, or exciting, at all. To me I don't even see it as a sport.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    I have to say I find the first ten seconds very interesting.