Purchasing advice!!!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hey people, just wondering if you could help me out with your collective genius as to what I should do about my next mac purchase. I have a 4+ year old first rev. 350 Mhz PowerMac G4 with 640MB of ram and an upgraded Radeon 9000 pro graphics card. I am finding that the cpu cannot handle many of the tasks I am giving it to do, whether its video editing to gaming to overall usability. It's ok, but I want somethng spiffier. The other dilemma is that I need a laptop. I was thinking about an iBook but wanted to wait until they were at least 1.4Ghz with IBM chips in them.

My solution to the problem is to upgrade my tower with powerlogix's 1.4Ghz 7457 processor for $600 (it will come down by the time I will buy it). As for the laptop I should just keep waiting. What do you people think?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    $600 (or however much it may end up being) is kind of steep, considering you're not upgrading any architecture. I would be patient, or else use the money towards an extremely affordable iBook G4 12" model. I mean, for a little over $400 more, you get a whole new world of computing...that's portable (once you go laptop, it's hard to go back).
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Perhaps new or get a G4 400 AGP or better then you can upgrade CPUs (you will be able to utilize dual CPUs with that model or better) and use you existing upgraded hardware (video card) on the new box...

This route will still cost you, but at least you could do it piece meal...

But in the end will you be happy, the G5 might be a better route, especially if they do come out with a new model (with in the next nine months?) the top and middle G5 lines will drop in price.

And then you'll be set for another several years...
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Just get the OWC 1.3-1.33 7455 upgrade for $420. Can't beat it. And the PowerLogix upgrade is not worth the additional $200.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    zodiaczodiac Posts: 138member
    If you really need it, get it.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    You won't see iBooks with 1.4 ghz IBM chips in them since they use G4s now, and I doubt Apple will put a G5 in the iBook anytime within the next year. Sorry to nitpick...
  • Reply 6 of 9
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    if you want an IBM chip... get a G3 iBook... CHEAP
  • Reply 7 of 9
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

if you want an IBM chip... get a G3 iBook... CHEAP

Not much of an upgrade in speed, though.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

Not much of an upgrade in speed, though.

from a 350? anything over 500 will feel much faster... moreso if you get more ram...
  • Reply 9 of 9
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

from a 350? anything over 500 will feel much faster... moreso if you get more ram...

I know that an iBook with a 700-900 MHz G3 will be a bit faster than a 350 MHz G4. What I'm saying is that it's not enough of a speed advantage to be worth it, even if it is pretty cheap. I think a good solution is to go with a 1-1.3 GHz G4 upgrade (look for the best price/performance in that speed range) and in a year or two, look into a laptop. By that time, a very fast G4 iBook will not be too expensive.