Tooltips on links - how?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
My girlfriend has a few gripes on how OS X works compared to her PC at work. One is that when she hovers over the tool icons (new mail, delete, empty trash) on her webmail page, her PC gives her the name of the tool in a floating tool tip. She doesn't recognize the icons by sight (I know, bad UI design). But neither Safari nor IE for Mac show the names.

Is there any way to get Safari or IE to show these tool tips? Or is there a browser for Mac that supports this?

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    It depends on how the tooltips are implemented. Plus, is she using Safari 1.2?

vBulletin 3, for example, gives tooltips on links that work fine in Safari. I don't have time to investigate now, but I can check into how vB3 does it later if you want, not that this would really help the situation.

Oooooh, look at that. AppleInsider on vB3? Yum.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Also, it seems to work fine in Safari at other sites like Hotmail/MSN...

• Reply 3 of 7
    very interesting Brad, doesn't work for me in Safari 1.2
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacUsers

very interesting Brad, doesn't work for me in Safari 1.2

The Hotmail or the forums? Or both? As I said, the forum thing only works with vB3 (which we are not currently using).
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

The Hotmail or the forums? Or both? As I said, the forum thing only works with vB3 (which we are not currently using).

oh ok, ya some of the links on hotmail do that but not all of them..
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Have you tried FireFox?

There is some minor controversy over the way that IE (PC) displays tooltips (something about using alt rather than title attributes or something) but FireFox is usually quite good at following IE's quirks.