Fire Wire 2 Hard Drive

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I am about to purchase a Powerbook 15 and plan to do some music with pro tools. I am looking at fire wire hard drives. Do you know if there are fire wire 2 drives in the market? Are they faster or fast as regular HD's? Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    fluffyfluffy Posts: 361member
    They are faster (than USB2 or FW external hard drives). There are many on this site that tend to bash barefeats testing, but here's a link to a test, for what it's worth.

You can pick up FW2 drives at OWC and LaCie as well as elsewhere. The LaCie extreme big disk has an interesting feature: it's actually two hard drives in a striped RAID array with a single FW2 interface, which allows sustained transfer rates much closer to the FW2 theoretical maximum.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by jxfreak

I am about to purchase a Powerbook 15 and plan to do some music with pro tools. I am looking at fire wire hard drives. Do you know if there are fire wire 2 drives in the market? Are they faster or fast as regular HD's? Thanks!

i dont think firewire2 has been invented yet. i mean, fw800 is just now starting to go really mainstream. just get a fw800 external and you wont be disappointed. i use fw400 for video editing and have had very few problems. i doubt anything requires more than video...
  • Reply 3 of 4
    fluffyfluffy Posts: 361member
    I'm sure 1394b was what he meant.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    go to frys or www.outpost.com

get an empty shell for 80$ & then you can

add in any ide hdd you like

the casing support fw400 & usb2 & works well on

os x/linux/win32

i found owc to be a little overpriced.

i like above approach beacuse i can always swap out hdd's

if i need more capacity or if it dies