Intel and memory questions

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
What's really the difference between a Xeon processor and the P4? Will the Xeon perform better in Video Editing, Office, and games?

Also, I'm new to the DDR ram deal. All I have is PC133 in my comptuers. What does DDR200/266 mean. What sticks of ram can I use in a motherboard with that spec. PC2100-PC2700?? What?

Also, what OS's can I put on a motherboard w/ Dual Xeons? Win XP Pro?

Thanks much

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    guestguest Posts: 112member
    What's really the difference between a Xeon processor and the P4?

About 40 degrees and 500 bucks.

Will the Xeon perform better in Video Editing, Office, and games?

Yeah, it will crash that much faster. Have you considered upgrading to a Mot 68020? Welcome to "APPLEInsider".
  • Reply 2 of 9
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by guest

Yeah, it will crash that much faster. Have you considered upgrading to a Mot 68020? Welcome to "APPLEInsider".

If I was in the marked for a PC I would ask here too. The chances of finding Intel/AND apologists is smaller here than on many PC forums. So its a relevant question, guest.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Altivec_2.0

What's really the difference between a Xeon processor and the P4? Will the Xeon perform better in Video Editing, Office, and games?

Also, I'm new to the DDR ram deal. All I have is PC133 in my comptuers. What does DDR200/266 mean. What sticks of ram can I use in a motherboard with that spec. PC2100-PC2700?? What?

Also, what OS's can I put on a motherboard w/ Dual Xeons? Win XP Pro?

Thanks much

I believe a Xeon has more cache, which should give it better performance in all of the things you asked about.

You should be able to run any recent version of Windows with that computer.

I don't know much about DDR memory numbers. The numbers 2100, 2700, etc each correspond to a certain speed, like 266 or something. I don't know how they relate though.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    fotnsfotns Posts: 301member
    1. The difference is the Xeon has more L2 cache. Video editing and games might run a little faster, but how much faster do you need to run Office?

2. Your motherboard can use 266-333MHz DDR RAM.

3. You need Windows XP Pro to use dual CPUs.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    guest, relax.

Quote:

Well Intel's Xeon line of processors are built for dual processor setups... unlike the P4 which can only run by itself.

The Xeon is built for workstations and entry-level servers. It is not built for games... however you can still run them.

As for DDR --

PC3200 is just another way of saying DDR400...

same as PC2700 = DDR333

PC2100 = DDR266

PC1600 = DDR200

You can run Win XP Pro, server 2003, and 2000 Pro... both will be able to use the second processor. Win XP Home, 98 and ME can't.

You can also put linux on it. There are many Distros out there. However, you will be limited in games...

While the Xeon will preform better in video editing vs the P4 - the P4 can still do the job at a respectable speed. With all the money you would spend on a Xeon setup, why not get a PM G5? They are about the same price and are better performers... they also run OSX.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
    Kickaha and Amorph couldn't moderate themselves out of a paper bag. Abdicate responsibility and succumb to idiocy. Two years of letting a member make personal attacks against others, then stepping aside when someone won't put up with it. Not only that but go ahead and shut down my posting priviledges but not the one making the attacks. Not even the common decency to abide by their warning (afer three days of absorbing personal attacks with no mods in sight), just shut my posting down and then say it might happen later if a certian line is crossed. Bullshit flag is flying, I won't abide by lying and coddling of liars who go off-site, create accounts differing in a single letter from my handle with the express purpose to decieve and then claim here that I did it. Everyone be warned, kim kap sol is a lying, deceitful poster.

Now I guess they should have banned me rather than just shut off posting priviledges, because kickaha and Amorph definitely aren't going to like being called to task when they thought they had it all ignored *cough* *cough* I mean under control. Just a couple o' tools.

Don't worry, as soon as my work resetting my posts is done I'll disappear forever.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    What's also intriguing is the P4 Extreme Edition, which is apparently a Xeon scaled down for home use. So if the difference between a "normal" P4 and a Xeon is just some more L2 cache and MP support, what's so special about the P4 EE (except for a higher clock)?

And another thing: if the numbers for DDR RAM (3200, 2700, etc.) refer to the speed, then why call it DDR 266, 333, or 400? I understand that those numbers refer to the bus speed in terms of Mhz --but what do the 3200, 2700, etc. *specifically* refer to?
  • Reply 8 of 9
    I can get a Dual Xeon computer really cheap. About $600 for a Dual 2Ghz 512MB Ram Voodoo5 Video, 250GB Space, Nice case, 2 cd-rw's , and 1 DVD-ROM. 17" Monitor.

That is the price of me building it by scratch. But, hey, that's a good price.

As for the PowerMac G5, that's next year for me.

I am a Mac User to. I have many macs.

PowerMac 9600/200MP

PowerMac 7100/66AV

PowerMac 8100/80

Old Mac Classic

iMac 600Mhz G3

Next years PowerMac G5 will be for Audio Creation/Video

Along with

350Mhz AMD Compaq Presario 5222

120Mhz P1 Cannon Innova Media

600Mhz PIII Dell Dimension

But for now, the Dual Xeon will be the main computer if i decide to build it.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rampancy

What's also intriguing is the P4 Extreme Edition, which is apparently a Xeon scaled down for home use. So if the difference between a "normal" P4 and a Xeon is just some more L2 cache and MP support, what's so special about the P4 EE (except for a higher clock)?

And another thing: if the numbers for DDR RAM (3200, 2700, etc.) refer to the speed, then why call it DDR 266, 333, or 400? I understand that those numbers refer to the bus speed in terms of Mhz --but what do the 3200, 2700, etc. *specifically* refer to?

The P4EE comes in a Socket 478 package, just like other P4s. The Xeon comes in a Socket 603 package and can't be used in a regular P4 motherboard. The P4EE is also clocked higher than any Xeon, but would be cheaper than a hypothetical equivalently clocked Xeon. No MP support on the P4EE either.

266/333/400 refer to the clockspeed of the RAM in MHz.

2100/2700/3200 refer to the data throughput of the RAM in MBps.