A-Rod to the Yankees

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
200M+ payroll this year?

If not for the player's union, A-Rod would be with the Red Sox... That's pretty funny when you consider A-Rod was *willing* to restructure his contract to move to Boston, but the Players' Association intervened (and Selig didn't have the balls to send this to arbitration.)

Boston fans must be livid!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Actually, Boston fans could really care less. We have the pitching, and we *love* the fact that Yankees fans got screwed over by Roger Clemens.

Plus, Nomar is now the best shortstop in the game.

Seriously though, Jeter needs to step aside for A-Rod for the good of the team. Anything less is ridiculous. If he's really the 'captain', he needs to put the team first, and let the former Rangers 'captain' have the position he deserves. Let Jeter play 3rd.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    You could have been rid of Manny, and had the best player in the American League... It was a done deal from A-Rod's and Boston's standpoint... Think about it when you end up only being the AL Wild Card, or worse, being 3rd behind the Orioles.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    I was rooting for the deal to *not* happen, since it would have cost us Nomar. The Red Sox just don't have the cash that the Yankees have and couldn't have had Nomar, A-Rod, Pedro, Derek Lowe, Schilling, etc.

So the Yankees got A-Rod. Personally, I don't think he'll be able to take the heat in New York, and this also doesn't fix the big pitching problem that the Yankees have. Just my opinion though, spring training starts Friday.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fran441

Actually, Boston fans could really care less...

Fran, I'm all for keeping a positive outlook. After all, this is still one of the very best Red Sox teams ever. That said, you know Boston fans care about this a LOT. Not only did we not get A-Rod but the MFYs got him instead. No matter how you slice it, that ain't good.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    Well, I haven't been in Boston recently and I haven't been to class since this was announced (because today was a holiday), but I can honestly say that I haven't met anyone yet who really thinks this is the answer to the Yankees' problems.

At the moment, they are way over the cap and will have to pay a huge luxury tax, and if A-Rod flops in NY, they won't be able to deal him away.

The Yankees are a good team, I don't deny it, but they do have major issues with their pitching staff and signing A-Rod doesn't help that. Still, I've got tickets to two Yankee-Red Sox games at Fenway this year, and I'm excited about going.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    I'd still like to see us get a good lefty starter. Oh, why oh why, did they trade Lilly for that loser My Red Sox are cursed crystal ball says they look good until mid summer when first Pedro goes dl and then Schilling follows suit about two starts later.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    gilschgilsch Posts: 1,995member
    Quote:

Actually, Boston fans could really care less. We have the pitching, and we *love* the fact that Yankees fans got screwed over by Roger Clemens.

Hehehe...sure. We believe you. -wink- wink- It's got to be hurting at least a little to "have had" the best player in the game for a few days only to see the hated rival end up with him. Ouch. Make that OUCH.

The Red Sox are my fav American League team and I'm pissed off. It's just borderline ridiculous to have a team in the majors that can afford such a huge payroll. $190 million? Double and triple the others. That said, how sweet would it be for the Yanks to miss the playoffs and watch Steinbrenner blow a gasket or 2 over it?
  • Reply 8 of 20
    If the Red Sox had done the deal, we would have gained A-Rod at the cost of Nomar and Manny Ramirez, and also would not have had the cash to keep dealing.

Also, the Red Sox have some people to re-sign in the next year, and getting A-Rod would have made that more difficult.

In the end, the loss of Nomar was too much, so I rooted against the trade. I'd like to see Nomar play out his career in Boston and hopefully they will be able to sign him to a long term deal.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    gilschgilsch Posts: 1,995member
    Quote:

If the Red Sox had done the deal, we would have gained A-Rod at the cost of Nomar and Manny Ramirez, and also would not have had the cash to keep dealing.

Also, the Red Sox have some people to re-sign in the next year, and getting A-Rod would have made that more difficult.

In the end, the loss of Nomar was too much, so I rooted against the trade. I'd like to see Nomar play out his career in Boston and hopefully they will be able to sign him to a long term deal.

You make some valid points..but the temptation to have the best player in the game is strong. Especially when Nomar is a no-show in the playoffs sometimes. The Sox are gonna have a great year if the pitchers stay healthy. Big IF though. But don't feel too bad. You could be a Dodgers fan. :,,,{
  • Reply 10 of 20
    Nomar has been playing hurt. Hopefully his time off allowed his wrist to heal.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    Guys...lets be serious for a moment here. None of this matters. It doesn't matter where A-Rod goes, it doesn't matter if Nomar plays hurt or if he is healthy or not. In all seriousness, that can all be overlooked because of one simple thing.

Cubs rule.

It's our year. 'Nuff said.

GO CUBBIES!!!

• Reply 12 of 20
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

Guys...lets be serious for a moment here. None of this matters. It doesn't matter where A-Rod goes, it doesn't matter if Nomar plays hurt or if he is healthy or not. In all seriousness, that can all be overlooked because of one simple thing.

Cubs rule.

It's our year. 'Nuff said.

GO CUBBIES!!!

You started tokin', have you?
  • Reply 13 of 20
    Quote:

... At the moment, they are way over the cap and will have to pay a huge luxury tax...

They were already on the hook for the luxury tax but this deal doesn't affect them as much as you think. Here's Peter Gammons:
    Quote:

Yankee officials have taken pains to point out they were fortunate in that several circumstances just happened here: Aaron Boone's rebound playing hoops could clear more than 80 percent of his salary off the books, Drew Henson went off to be the next Tom Brady clearing another $10 million to $14 million, and with the Rangers chipping in $40 million over seven years (as well as picking up the $27 million in deferrals, which Rodriguez restructured so the pay schedule doesn't start until 2016), the cost to Steinbrenner was calculated as $90 million for seven years.

$90 million for seven years and they get A-Rod? Are you kiddng me? That's $12.85 million a year. Nomar turned down a contract that gave him $15 million over 4 years.
    Quote:

... and if A-Rod flops in NY, they won't be able to deal him away...

Earth to Fran: A-Rod is already a proven commodity. The only way he flops in NY is if he gets hurt but that could happen to anybody - even the guys on our team.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

You started tokin', have you?

Fraid so, but all us Cub fans have to cope in our own way.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Argento

Fraid so, but all us Cub fans have to cope in our own way.

Dude, you lost faith. Your no Cub fan. Even when we really didn't have a chance, you always have to say that it's our year. And this year, we have more of a chance than ever. So big a chance that it will happen!!!
  • Reply 16 of 20
    yay...

another step towards the destruction of MLB. way to go Hicks, Rangers, and Co.

• Reply 17 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by _ alliance _

yay...

another step towards the destruction of MLB. way to go Hicks, Rangers, and Co.

And last year's post-season was probably the best I've ever seen, despite the $170M Yankee payroll

2001 - Diamondbacks

2002 - Angels

2003 - Marlins

2004 - Not the Yankees

I don't see how a $200M payroll and A-Rod really changes much.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

And last year's post-season was probably the best I've ever seen, despite the $170M Yankee payroll

2001 - Diamondbacks

2002 - Angels

2003 - Marlins

2004 - Not the Yankees

I don't see how a $200M payroll and A-Rod really changes much.

the past few seasons have been some of the best in the past decade, aside from the giants choking when it counts (that just makes me sad...).

however, the problem is that the yankees never settle for second best and they will continue to take everyone else's talent and raise the average pay to a level that no other team can compete with. this recent streak of the poor teams succeeding wont last much longer, IMO. the A's are dying. the Angels are now spending lots of money. the marlins will make a couple more runs potentially, and then have to start all over again from scratch once all their players leave. the diamondbacks are dead. i dont see anyone else competing in the AL but the sox and yanks, though i always welcome a surprise. the NL will be fun to watch, though. there is no clear favorite simply because there is no team going around spending more than they can afford (a la the rangers) and/or buying all the talent.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    You don't have to look any further than the AL East to see potential competition. The Orioles have Tejada, Javy Lopez, Palmeiro, Ponson, Ainsworth, etc.

And what about the Angels? You mention them, but dismiss them immediately. The Angels are going to be a powerhouse. The Mariners are always worth noting too.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    the angels will be good and could very well win the west, but i dont see them getting further.

the orioles arent worth mentioning. none of those players you mentioned mean anything to me. the only notable might be tejada, but last season really brought him back down to earth. he might struggle due to the pressure of expectation alone. the rest arent anything special, IMO.