Astrology

Comments

• Reply 61 of 83
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Jeez, would people stop being so hostile? It's just astrology. It's not like we're trying to determine what people are and aren't allowed to do within the confines of their own home .

I just started the thread to get the astrology discussion away from the "Worst Thing You've Ever Done" thread. I am also genuinely curious about astrology - while I do believe it is a completely manufactured idea, I do wonder why, or rather how, people see it the way they do. Carol says she just thinks it's a fun hobby, and so do the other friends of mine who are into it. But I don't understand how that can be. You say it's just a fun hobby, read the horoscope much like you read a fortune cookie, etc. But then you talk about how you've learned so much about yourself and that sort of thing, and I have to wonder how much stock you really take in it? It would be like if you put on a big act every Christmas about "preparing for Santa," complete with boot prints leading from the fireplace to the tree, cookies and milk, and the like. Yeah, it might be fun to stage a fake "Santa visit" every year for Christmas as a hobby or tradition, but do you actually believe in Santa Claus? Do you consider it a funny hobby but at the same time think that it is actually motivated by a deep-down belief that Santa actually does exist? I don't know. That's the analogy I'm seeing. Carol, could you please explain a little more about why and how you enjoy astrology? I want to make sure you know that you're welcome here. Don't mind BR and the others.

Of course, as an astronomy buff, I know that what BR is saying is true. If you were born between the June 22nd and July 22nd (or something like that), all the charts say you're a Cancer, but the sun was in Gemini, thus making you a Gemini. BR and I happen to share a birthday, although we weren't born on the same year. The sun was squarely in the middle of Gemini when we were born. A month earlier, on my brother's birthday of June 8th, the sun was in Taurus, even though June's zodiac symbol is always said to be Gemini. How do you reconcile this with your enthusiasm for astrology? Do you just brush it off and read the papers for fun? Do you adjust for it while reading the horoscopes? Or do you have another explanation? Thanks.

EDIT: When I started typing this post, the most recent other post was BR's. I didn't see Ganondorf's there. Still... even though there is an explanation, how many people who are interested in astrology actually knew of it?
  • Reply 62 of 83
    My star sign is Aquaris.

p>s> You guys should seXXor Carol more. I mean it is bad enough that you think online cybersex is cheating, now this?
  • Reply 63 of 83
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Originally posted by talksense101

My star sign is Aquaris.

No, it's not.
  • Reply 64 of 83
    Heh, heh. Well, aquarius then. It isn't my fault that Windoze doesn't have a built in spell check.
  • Reply 65 of 83
    Quote:

Originally posted by talksense101

Heh, heh. Well, aquarius then. It isn't my fault that Windoze doesn't have a built in spell check.

No, you're not.
  • Reply 66 of 83
    I guess you are just going to continue to ignore everything I have tried to tell you and diagnose your armchair astrology critique to everyone.
  • Reply 67 of 83
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Yeah, come on BR. I see where you're coming from, but now you're just ruining the thread.
  • Reply 68 of 83
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Gastrointestinal parasites make me sick.
  • Reply 69 of 83
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    I am more a mixture of more than only the Sun sign. So add the rising (unknown), moon (that is for the sentimental and money life - a virgin, perfectionist and neurotic and critic) and the chinese and other things (rabbit).

The description of the sun sign would suggest I do dumb things and like attention. At least in the 'real life' I don't like to get too much attention. I rather dress like any stevejobs to a party so I can be more alone and take less attention. I feel and think more earthy (.. ) than I am "supposed to".

I like the airy people. I don't like the "passionate" if that = excessive jalousy. I need to breath, and when I can do that I am fine with most people.

The only people I normally tend to not get along very well seem to be cancers or cocks of chinese sign. I get along very well with my cousin, and she is both cancer and cock though. But all others that have just 'something' that irritates and I can't individuate tend to be quite often one or both of those. Aunts, parents .. mum and sister are cocks - and cocks like to command people, what rabbits just can't stand. Oh well.
  • Reply 70 of 83
    Quote:

Originally posted by Giaguara

I am more a mixture of more than only the Sun sign. So add the rising (unknown), moon (that is for the sentimental and money life - a virgin, perfectionist and neurotic and critic) and the chinese and other things (rabbit).

The description of the sun sign would suggest I do dumb things and like attention. At least in the 'real life' I don't like to get too much attention. I rather dress like any stevejobs to a party so I can be more alone and take less attention. I feel and think more earthy (.. ) than I am "supposed to".

I like the airy people. I don't like the "passionate" if that = excessive jalousy. I need to breath, and when I can do that I am fine with most people.

The only people I normally tend to not get along very well seem to be cancers or cocks of chinese sign. I get along very well with my cousin, and she is both cancer and cock though. But all others that have just 'something' that irritates and I can't individuate tend to be quite often one or both of those. Aunts, parents .. mum and sister are cocks - and cocks like to command people, what rabbits just can't stand. Oh well.

If you don't like cocks you probably should be posting here.
  • Reply 71 of 83
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

If you don't like cocks you probably should be posting here.

i meant cock = cock of the chinese astrology. *cough*.
  • Reply 72 of 83
    Quote:

Originally posted by Giaguara

i meant cock = cock of the chinese astrology. *cough*.

*cough* Yes I knew that *cough* it was a joke *cough*
  • Reply 73 of 83
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carol A

If you tell me your sign and a significant other's sign, present or past, i could dig out my 'relationship signs' book and tell you what it says.

To move the thread back to it's topic: Dig out your book. To make it more interesting, you have to guess my sign first.

A hint(?): My ascendant is the same as my sign.

My wife is a libra.
  • Reply 74 of 83
    Quote:

Originally posted by GSpotter

My wife is a libra.

Factoring in precession of the equinoxes?
  • Reply 75 of 83
    Quote:

My wife is a libra.

my wife is a woman, and factoring anything with regards to women is pretty much useless.
  • Reply 76 of 83
    dglowdglow Posts: 147member
    my $.02 on astrology:

given:

- we are products of our environment (nurture and nature)

- lunar gravity affects our bodies (see menstrual cycles, high birth rates during full moons, etc.)

- brain development is most active in the first months of a child's life

hypothesis:

- solar gravity also affects our bodies

- the season during which a child is born affects that child's development

Astrology is a framework created by human minds. This does not mean the phenomena which astrology seeks to explain are not real.

At its core, all astrology really asserts is that people born during the same time-of-year often share certain personality traits; an assertion which does not seem unreasonable, IMHO.
  • Reply 77 of 83
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

my wife is a woman, and factoring anything with regards to women is pretty much useless.

I do not believe in astrology but my wife is more attracted to these things.
  • Reply 78 of 83
    Quote:

At its core, all astrology really asserts it that people born during the same time-of-year often share certain personality traits; an assertion which does not seem unreasonable, IMHO.

i like your .02 cents. it's down to earth.

i suppose way back when it was vital for survival to examine the clockwork of the heavens to anticipate coming conditions. i suppose after awhile, these observers got really good at coorealating the movements of the heavens and the way people behaved.

stare at the stars and wonder.....what else you gonna do if you don't have electricity?
  • Reply 79 of 83
    The only problem is when people put too much stock in their signs, sometimes reducing their entire personality to a sign --seen it happen *cough*seem to be seeing it happen again*cough*...

When people spend a decent portion of their lives poring over books filled with archaic nonsense and psudoscience trying to figure out who they are by what these books say...well, its quite ironic actually.

------

The Naked Mole Rat: wrinkly, grumpy, and blind...
  • Reply 80 of 83
    according to some people, i am a leo. i only know that so i can tell which piece of the onion to read. but, in the end, i'm just as likely to end up on the business end of a coked-up rhinocerous' ardor, as i am to be nominated in the "most engulfed in flames" category. mmmm, burninating rhinocerii...