Boring Business Software?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Can anyone recommend bland business software. I'm working for a land development/real estate corp. that has a 30 year mandate to complete all projects and something like 10 billion to do it. We curretnly use ProLog Manager by Meridan Software for just about everything. It's ugly, buggy, slow and nigh on impossible to use. So, I'm looking for Mac software to replace it and get the company to switch. So we need an App or Apps that can cover project management, cost control, scheduling, accounting, data management. blah blah blah. But this seems to be where Windows really excels. Anyway, suggest away!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Sounds like you're looking for a Filemaker solution.

There are a number of companies that build Filemaker solutions for businesses that you can customized to suit your own specific needs.

check out Filemaker.com and search for real estate related solutions.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    My dad could probably do something like that. He's working on becoming an independent FileMaker developer again, ever since some big company bought the smaller company he works at. If you want to talk send me a private message.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Check out some of the stuff on the apple "Made 4 Mac" section.

http://guide.apple.com/uscategories/business.lasso

I tried daylite just out of curiosity, and I think its a top contact management system.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Alright, Filemaker seems like it could do a bang up job for data management. Because I work for a government agency that's being funded with tax payers we need to be very diligent with our record lest the dear tax payers think their money is being ill spent. We also rely heavily on consultants whom need access to all the information stored. Sadly, ProLog does a piss poor job of this. They have web access but the site often goes nutty even when accessed through a Windows box and it simply cannot be accessed by anyone using a Mac. Can any one attest to FileMaker Server's ability to do something along these lines?

An example of what we need do is: Upload a chart with bore hole data for one of the development sites, attach some info about it related project and have it readily available to all that may need this exciting information.

Yes? No? Sounds really boring?

I don't think I'd have any trouble convincing the higher ups to use FileMaker for this as at the very least FileMaker costs remarkably less the ProLog.

Thanks for the replies. I'll post more during the intermission of the Leafs game.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I am not totally sure of FileMaker's capabilities, other than that it is much more powerful than it seems at first, and that it's in store for a really, really major update soon.

However, one thing I do know is that FileMaker is about as cross-platform as an application can get. The PC and Mac versions are identical.