Outlook: It's September 2007. What does your Power Mac look like?

2»

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 32
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Jeez, folks, it's only three years.



    It's not going be running OS X 18.2 or something.



    My guess:



    Much the same as today's PowerMac, but revamped to have room for a second drive, the next version of FW (FW1600?) and with dual 5.6GHz processors. Running OS X 10.6.



    In terms of design, I suspect that a a good deal more R&D will be going into Apple's laptops...
  • Reply 22 of 32
    dual 5GHz G5 processor

    OS12.2.7

    dual 1tb harddrives

    1gb RADEON 12000XT

    25" cinema display





    Yepp thins is how it's gonna be.
  • Reply 23 of 32
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,407member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Hobbes

    Jeez, folks, it's only three years.



    It's not going be running OS X 18.2 or something.



    My guess:



    Much the same as today's PowerMac, but revamped to have room for a second drive, the next version of FW (FW1600?) and with dual 5.6GHz processors. Running OS X 10.6.



    In terms of design, I suspect that a a good deal more R&D will be going into Apple's laptops...






    3 Years ago we were stuck at 500mhz G4s. I agree OSX will probably only be at 10.6 or 10.7. But I doubt you will see only 5.6ghz process. CPU's may be at 45nm by them. I think Dual Cores may be the the norm at the high end by then. We may have Duals or Dual Dual-Core CPUs. It's the natural progression from IBM which has plenty of experience with dual-core cpus.



    HD. I don't know how big they'll be. Platter density has increased by manufacturers don't seem to eager to offer individual drives over 300GB yet. We'll see.
  • Reply 24 of 32
    Just received my brand-spanking new dual 6.4 Ghz (dual core, dual processors, SMT) G6 (Rev B). It has 2GB RAM standard, but I've ordered another 2GB from a local retailer. It's kick-ass 6.4 Ghz XDR memory, connected directly to the processors with a 1:1-ratio.



    It's also sporting dual 700GB hard-drives, at 10000 RPM, and they're being SATA, on independent 300MB/s channels.

    Apple released OS 10.5 in May, so the G6 is running 10.5.3.



    The enclosure is still aluminum, but a bit smaller than the current G5 behemoth. Still by far the industry's prettiest.



    Along with it is a 20 inch OLED display, and finally the designers at Apple realized that a backlit keyboard also rocks for stationary keyboards. Still no n-button mouse (Where n is higher than 1) supplied with the Apple brand.
  • Reply 25 of 32
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    My Powermac looks like a doohicky. I can't describe it with the words we currently employ.



    Ive runs Apple now, Steve now is Chairman of Discast, the largest media company in the world. Rumor has it that he and Rupert Murdock hang out and have barbecues using $100 dollar bills as fuel.
  • Reply 26 of 32
    In three years...



    Probably most of us will be using powerbooks. They will be fast enough and have all the other ports and such needed for most people.



    Prices will be down quite a bit. PowerBooks will be in the $800 to $1,800 range. iBooks will be well under $1,000. Screens will be OLED. HD and RAM will be big enough.



    I don't expect to see massive format changes. We'll still be using FW, USB, WiFi, BT, SATA. They may be faster versions but they'll be the same formats. It is really hard to introduce new formats. Possibly we'll have double layer writable DVDs.



    Linux will probably be getting a larger share of the market. Mac share should be up as well. As overall prices come down there will be less differentiation on price. MS and Dell will have problems. If the computer only sells for $250 how does Dell make much money with their tiny margins? If the computer only sells for $250 how does MS insist on $300 for the OS and $400 for Office? On the other hand, if an Apple machine only costs a little more than a windows machine the value of the style, design, utility, safety and coolness will make it an easier choice.
  • Reply 27 of 32
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by neutrino23

    As overall prices come down there will be less differentiation on price. MS and Dell will have problems. If the computer only sells for $250 how does Dell make much money with their tiny margins? If the computer only sells for $250 how does MS insist on $300 for the OS and $400 for Office? On the other hand, if an Apple machine only costs a little more than a windows machine the value of the style, design, utility, safety and coolness will make it an easier choice.



    But then again, if the average price of a PC is as low as 250, and a Mac not much more expensive, how is Apple going to survive as they cannot simply quadruple the number of machines they sell?
  • Reply 28 of 32
    Quote:

    Originally posted by hmurchison

    Sept 2007? Ahhh let me look into my Palantir.



    <geek> Palantiri don't see events in the future; they see over distances. Consult Galadriel's Mirror in Caras Galadon instead. </geek>



    More than the possible specs of a machine three years down the road, I'd like to know what Apple (and other manufacturers) are going to do to convince people that they NEED the kind of power they will be delivering. Of course by that time, OS X 10.x will probably fill 36GB of space and require a minimum of 2GB of RAM, and people will be complaining that they can't run it on their blueberry iMacs... and the Mac version of Office will still be slow on a 10GHz processor...



    For some reason I see Apple taking the lead in OLED tech. I think this has the possibility of really changing what we accept as the form-factor of computers. Apple's leadership in industrial design should allow them to capitalize on this.
  • Reply 29 of 32
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    June 2004: 2.2 GHz

    Dec. 2004: 2.4 GHz

    ...

    June 2007: 3.4 GHz, running Mac OS 10.4.4. Apple announces that 0.2% market share suits them just fine.



    Meanwhile, Microsoft announces that Longhorn will be delayed until mid 2009.
  • Reply 30 of 32
    Quote:

    Originally posted by cubist

    June 2007: 3.4 GHz, running Mac OS 10.4.4.



    Well, if that means only one paid .x revision in the next three years, the people who carp about annual $129 upgrades should be thrilled.
  • Reply 31 of 32
    No matter what the specs of my powerbook, I'll be enjoying the 10-hour battery life that gets me through the work day without worry.
  • Reply 32 of 32
    Quote:

    Originally posted by cubist



    Meanwhile, Microsoft announces that Longhorn will be delayed until mid 2009.




    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&n bsp;
Sign In or Register to comment.