OmniWeb 5.0 Beta 2 Released!

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Go and get it at the usual avenues.

I'm using it now. So far, it's MUCH more responsive than the previous beta. Tabs all load properly now and I haven't had any network hanging issues yet.

There are still some minor UI glitches, but for two weeks from the last beta, this is a marked improvement.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    I'm loving it. Definitely speedier, and the tooltips that appear when mousing over the tab drawer are a welcome addition.

One REALLY minor UI thing that's been bugging me since beta 1, is when you click the hide toolbar button in the titlebar, why doesn't it do the little 4 frame animation? It just disappears.

Overall, I'm loving the new beta. Nice work OmniGroup!
  • Reply 2 of 22
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    Has anyone experienced this problem. Everytime I quit OmniWeb 5, whether it was Beta 1 or now even with Beta 2, it crashes and the OmniCrashCatcher opens up.

Also, I have a folder set up that has around 10 daily visited Mac site. When I open this folder up with tabs, it is slower to respond then Safari 1.2 is. Has anyone else noticed this as well?
  • Reply 3 of 22
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Damn it. I hate banner ads. Why doesn't the "filter image" thing work? And Flash ads? Get the hell of the internet... Anyone have a fix for the ads?
  • Reply 4 of 22
    The ad blocking preferences are being forgotten when you quit the app. \

Just go back in and check "Matching known ad sizes" and "From blocked URLs" (and anything else in that pane) each time you relaunch. Yes, it's inconvenient, but it works.

So far, my blocked URL list looks like this:

/ads\\..*\\.net/

/ads\\..*\\.com/

/.*\\.doubleclick\\.net/

/kermit\\.macnn\\.com/

/.*\\.mii\\.instacontent\\.net/

/www\\.appleinsider\\.com/ads/

/appleinsider\\.com/adserve/

/media\\.fastclick\\.net/

/bidclix\\.net/

/.*\\.adserver\\.com/

/itimenetwork\\.directtrack\\.com/

/view\\.atdmt\\.com/

/cdn\\.valueclick\\.com/

/b\\.as-us\\.falkag\\.net/

/http\\.edge\\.ru4\\.com/

/.*\\.valueclick.com/

Also, there appear to be some odd caching issues. *sigh* Oh well, not bad for a "Beta 2".
  • Reply 5 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

The ad blocking preferences are being forgotten when you quit the app.

Just go back in and check "Matching known ad sizes" and "From blocked URLs" (and anything else in that pane) each time you relaunch. Yes, it's inconvenient, but it works.

So far, by blocked URL list looks like this:

/ads\\..*\\.net/

/ads\\..*\\.com/

/.*\\.doubleclick\\.net/

/kermit\\.macnn\\.com/

/bidclix\\.net/

/.*\\.adserver\\.com/

/view\\.atdmt\\.com/

/cdn\\.valueclick\\.com/

Also, there appear to be some odd caching issues. *sigh* Oh well, not bad for a "Beta 2".

Thanks. When are they going to have the block sites to use plain english rather than regex-ese? I can't figure it out...
  • Reply 6 of 22
    ryaxnbryaxnb Posts: 583member
    It's very nice. No more 'Waiting for available Bug Fix... er, Connection!'
  • Reply 7 of 22
    ryaxnbryaxnb Posts: 583member
    Quote:

The ad blocking preferences are being forgotten when you quit the app. \

So far, my blocked URL list looks like this:

/ads\\..*\\.net/

/ads\\..*\\.com/

/.*\\.doubleclick\\.net/

/kermit\\.macnn\\.com/

/bidclix\\.net/

/.*\\.adserver\\.com/

/view\\.atdmt\\.com/

/cdn\\.valueclick\\.com/

/http\\.edge\\.ru4\\.com/

/.*\\.valueclick.com/

Thanks for the list.

You actually block ads from the place you help? How dare you.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by ryaxnb

You actually block ads from the place you help? How dare you

Unfortunately, you don't know the half of it.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    OW is coming along quite nice eagerly await the next one ! They really do nice work rick and the boys !

How do you stop these stupid 'ads by google' ones dammit !

i.e.

http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/ads?

they keep coming thru !
  • Reply 10 of 22
    Its doing something odd to the MacOSXHints site. It looks likes its not reading the css properly. Scrolling is a little jerky on my iBook. From the change log it looks like they've fixed a lot of things though.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    How do I stop the new-fangled ads that seem to be only images? They're not windows, per se, but these:

How do they do that?

edit: it looks like it's just fancy javascript.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    I think the one real mistake with OMNIweb is that they don't keep their WebCore up-to-date. They forked off at build 85 and don't seem willing to merge changes Safari has had since.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Those things like Google Ads are done server-side in scripts like PHP and are embedded directly into the HTML code; so, you can't filter them out.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Quote:

Those things like Google Ads are done server-side in scripts like PHP and are embedded directly into the HTML code; so, you can't filter them out.

Which ones are you talking about?
  • Reply 15 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

Which ones are you talking about?

Maybe I was mistaken... Google AdWords or something like that embeds code in the documents... I'll have to check on that.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

I think the one real mistake with OMNIweb is that they don't keep their WebCore up-to-date. They forked off at build 85 and don't seem willing to merge changes Safari has had since.

And this is the ONLY reason I refuse to even try OmniWeb 5 no matter how much I want to. Well, OK, I did run beta 1, but trashed it in 5 minutes because it just doesn't measure up. The app is great - the engine is old.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Akac

And this is the ONLY reason I refuse to even try OmniWeb 5 no matter how much I want to.

Why? Can you name just five differences in WebCore that you know for a fact will make OmniWeb 5 less than suitable than it is now?
  • Reply 18 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

They're going to add the changes. But it takes time.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    Quote:

Why? Can you name just five differences in WebCore that you know for a fact will make OmniWeb 5 less than suitable than it is now?

Yep. I can. Mostly CSS changes that affect the websites I visit. Those websites work in Safari 1.2, but not OmniWeb. Not properly at least.

LiveConnect

CSS2 Table support

:hover support

proper support for display:none display:block

CACHING!!!! in CSS

how about that?
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Let me add - its super important for web browsers on the Mac to support the standard. If you have the market broken up due to multiple webkit implementations - that's just bad. People need to know that anybody using WebKit on the Mac supports the latest web developments.