Has Apple ever advertised for OSX ?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple hardware is pretty exciting these days, but it is the OS who is the real magic here. Has OSX been featured in any commercials ?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    For about five years they had a contract with MS that prevented them from doing such, IIRC. However, that expired either this past summer or the summer before, so that wouldn't be inhibiting them any longer. But I still think the answer is no.
  • Reply 2 of 26
    There were some X Movies when Jaguar came out.

mirrors listed in this thread

Not publicly aired, to my knowledge, but they've been circulated widely here since then.

If all the old links are dead, somebody here will have new linkage.

If you can stand it, there's always the awful Panther video with Omar

And although not specifically OS X advertising, many would consider the Switch campaign close.

At least insofar as user experience is a part and parcel of the OS.
  • Reply 3 of 26
    Short answer:

No, Apple has never directly advertised for Mac OS X.
  • Reply 4 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Short answer:

No, Apple has never directly advertised for Mac OS X.

So sad. An all X ad campaign would turn more than a few heads. Just show how much better it is than any MS OS and you've got half the country sold right there.
  • Reply 5 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

So sad. An all X ad campaign would turn more than a few heads. Just show how much better it is than any MS OS and you've got half the country sold right there.

I completely agree with you. If I was elected to take control of the marketing department this would be my first "pet project". OS X is unknown to most PC users out there, or simply just a name for some thingamajig Apple uses. OS X and iLife together would be the strongest software points Apple could advertise. This software combination is basically unheard of on any platform, and Apple are shooting themselves in the foot by not telling people about it.

In my opinion, more than iPods and iTunes songs is needed, and this is exactly what is needed. m.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    FileMaker and Appleworks need to be revamped and packaged with Keynote...

An "iWork" or whatever would be a sweet incentive.

Lifestyle apps are all well and good but Windows users have PCs at home to do work and schoolwork (and yes, games and entertainment, but certainly not solely for that), so we need to give the work apps their due equal to the iLife apps.

It is still distasteful to have to say "sure, we can do that with the Mac version of Microsoft Office". True or not I don't care, I'd rather an all-Apple solution.

You can of course buy it all separately, I just think a nice integrated suite is in order (as has been discussed so often here).

I love mostly FileMaker.

I love Keynote.

I want to love AppleWorks.
  • Reply 7 of 26
    hmm there is this small video that was on cnn once

http://www.apple.com/macosx/video/
  • Reply 8 of 26
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hack4ev3r

hmm there is this small video that was on cnn once

http://www.apple.com/macosx/video/

That's the loathesome Omar video...
  • Reply 9 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

That's the loathesome Omar video...

Hi oh my dear im at the apple store at... lolz
  • Reply 10 of 26
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Quote:

Has Apple ever advertised for OSX ?

Ha...of course not! It would totally go against their master plan of constantly releasing cool and amazing shit but making sure nobody - other than the already faithful - really knows about it.

We're just not smart enough to understand the longterm reasoning behind it. Marketing is beneath such a company. It's tacky.

Don't get me started.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

FileMaker and Appleworks need to be revamped and packaged with Keynote...

An "iWork" or whatever would be a sweet incentive.

Lifestyle apps are all well and good but Windows users have PCs at home to do work and schoolwork (and yes, games and entertainment, but certainly not solely for that), so we need to give the work apps their due equal to the iLife apps.

It is still distasteful to have to say "sure, we can do that with the Mac version of Microsoft Office". True or not I don't care, I'd rather an all-Apple solution.

You can of course buy it all separately, I just think a nice integrated suite is in order (as has been discussed so often here).

I love mostly FileMaker.

I love Keynote.

I want to love AppleWorks.

Okay, there are two possible roads Apple could take here. Firstly, is a brand new Cocoa based "iWork" suite. It can be one ? they made a web browser usable in less than a year, they made the iLife suite very cool and it works well together ? so they can integrate a few separate applications to make a new AppleWorks. They already have some building blocks, likeTextEdit, Preview, iPhoto, etc... This is well within Apple's reach. (I reckon an iLife style AppleWorks would be a killer).

Or, they could bundle Office with new Macs whereby the user chooses to have Office come with their new Mac, if they don't have it already, (i.e. Windows switchers). Not only that, bundle it for free.

I can imagine someone coming from Windows, who has always had Office at their fingertips, would feel somewhat disheartened at buying a brand new version for OS X, (which is really too expensive). m.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    I was rushing to the end of this thread to warn you guys not to let pscates get too worked up, but it appears I am too late. At least nobody got hurt

For real though Apple needs to do something. The Switch campaign got attention, but completely overlooked the number one reason to switch.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Hey, only three or so sentences. You guys got off easy.

I guess there are reasons that make sense to the higher-ups at Apple.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by bauman

For about five years they had a contract with MS that prevented them from doing such, IIRC.

Is that correct? I never heard about that part of the deal...

Does anyone have a link to a list of the things that were in the deal?
  • Reply 15 of 26
    Personally, I prefer that Apple not differentiate between its Mac operating system and its Mac hardware. It's all part of the greater whole. I mean, the operative word in "Mac OS X" is "Mac." People might be thining in terms of Microsoft's and Intel's dichotomy of the two, but to me, while they don't highlight their system, UI, etc. enough, they shouldn't necessarily buy into that idea of the two being discrete things to the user.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bauman

For about five years they had a contract with MS that prevented them from doing such, IIRC. However, that expired either this past summer or the summer before, so that wouldn't be inhibiting them any longer. But I still think the answer is no.

If this is true, why didn't it come out in the anti-trust suit?
  • Reply 17 of 26
    A case could still be made for such advertising primarily in differentiating OS X from OS 9,

if only to target those whose earlier experience with older Macs has coloured their perspective.

Many of the common criticisms PC users cite about the Mac experience are legacy problems solved in OS X.

"I don't understand Extension conflicts/Memory management of Apps/blah"

are comments one often hears from those who have never seen OS X in action.

Demonstrative advertising of the "new and improved" feature set and some integrated solutions (the way Janie Porsche "saved Xmas" or Andy the Cop's video project "just worked" in the Switch campaign) are the kinds of messages that provide real value to consumers confused by MHz and specs, but uncertain what a UI is or how attention to detail in HIG and design translate into superior productivity and ease of use, and a less intimidating experience.

Apple still spends a fair amount of internal training energy educating resellers on how best to pitch

"Migration from OS 9 to OS X", so there's already some material support on this theme.

Expanding the internal messaging into external advertising seems a logical next step.
  • Reply 18 of 26
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Quote:

Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

Is that correct? I never heard about that part of the deal...

Does anyone have a link to a list of the things that were in the deal?

Hrm... Maybe my memory is wrong. After five minutes of googleing I couldn't find a cent about advertising.

Here's Apple's original Press Release about the agreement
  • Reply 19 of 26
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

Personally, I prefer that Apple not differentiate between its Mac operating system and its Mac hardware. It's all part of the greater whole. I mean, the operative word in "Mac OS X" is "Mac." People might be thining in terms of Microsoft's and Intel's dichotomy of the two, but to me, while they don't highlight their system, UI, etc. enough, they shouldn't necessarily buy into that idea of the two being discrete things to the user.

I agree, but on those same lines the hardware commercials don't show even a glimpse of OS X running on it. I think that the commercials should show more of the 'greater whole' if they aren't going to advertise for OS X alone.
  • Reply 20 of 26
    jwilljwill Posts: 209member
    I'd love to see an OS X ad. Apple commercials always send me running to the TV set from this computer, and I think it WOULD turn a few heads.