Dean drops out!

homhom
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
CNN is reporting that Dean is "suspending" his campaign.

Quote:

Dean will leave his name on the ballot but "the campaign, as we have known it for the past 14 months, will cease to exist," the aide said.

Well it's about time. He's been done since he finished a laughable third in Iowa (Pre-Scream). Now it's time for the other also rans to be excluded from the debates so the voters can see the only two viable candidates in debates and in media coverage.

Now the rest of us need to choose between the Senators John.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 72
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    It's a sad day for the democratic party. I didn't think that Dean could win after the problems he's been having but I liked the fact that it was more than just a two man race. Now we need to vote for the person that will make GWB look as foolish as possible (not a difficult task in itself, but it needs to be magnified as much as possible for all the lemmings to see).
  • Reply 2 of 72
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Do what John, do what John? Come again, do what?

I think that Governor Dean is STILL shaking his head, trying to figure out what the heck happened to him....guess he'll be doing it a little longer. Is there the possibility that he will in fact start his own breakaway political party? It seems as if the pundits are talking all around that possibility without actually coming out to state it. Why not? His message is sufficiently divergent from the mainstream Democratic party to allow that possibility. If he does it though I can't imagine it gaining any traction......but time will tell.
  • Reply 3 of 72
    Quote:

Originally posted by drewprops

Is there the possibility that he will in fact start his own breakaway political party? It seems as if the pundits are talking all around that possibility without actually coming out to state it. Why not? His message is sufficiently divergent from the mainstream Democratic party to allow that possibility. If he does it though I can't imagine it gaining any traction......but time will tell.

I'm actually VERY concerned about this possibility. Dean would for sure take voters from the Dem nominee. I don't blame Nader for the 2000 election fiasco, but one has to wonder "what if?" about that contest. It would make this election much more interesting but I'm not optimistic about the chance that GWB and the neo-cons would be ousted if it were to happen (my number one priority for this election).
  • Reply 4 of 72
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Quote:

I think that Governor Dean is STILL shaking his head, trying to figure out what the heck happened to him....guess he'll be doing it a little longer. Is there the possibility that he will in fact start his own breakaway political party? It seems as if the pundits are talking all around that possibility without actually coming out to state it. Why not? His message is sufficiently divergent from the mainstream Democratic party to allow that possibility. If he does it though I can't imagine it gaining any traction......but time will tell.

Dean has repeatedly said that he will fully support the eventual nominee and not form a third party. The two questions are will the legion of Deaniacs split and would the nominee want Dean's support?
  • Reply 5 of 72
    Again referring to television pundits, Gov. Dean is reported to have no love of Sen. Kerry and has reportedly indicated that he would throw his support to John Edwards before giving it to Kerry....why he has yet to do this is curious. If he truly wanted to derail Kerry this would seem to be the best opportunity for him to do so.
  • Reply 6 of 72
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:

Now we need to vote for the person that will make GWB look as foolish as possible

Well, that will be hard.

All the democrats are even bigger fools.
  • Reply 7 of 72

Ding!
  • Reply 8 of 72
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Laugh it up while you can!
  • Reply 9 of 72
    Quote:

Originally posted by msantti

Well, that will be hard.

All the democrats are even bigger fools.

You are correct sir. Go George!

I still don't see evidence that Kerry or Edwards can beat G.W.
  • Reply 10 of 72
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:

His message is sufficiently divergent from the mainstream Democratic party to allow that possibility.

You're joking? Dean has always been the triangulating moderate with enough balls to take on both George W. Bush and paralyzed Democrats. His appeal was almost entirely in the ability of his rhetoric to enliven the base and in success of Joe Trippi's revolutionary internet fundraising. Other than that, there's nothing really that much to differentiate between the eventual Democratic nominee and Dean. Furthermore, the Democrats- especially John Kerry and John Edwards with their contrasting styles- are not afraid anymore of standing up to Bush and what happened over the last four years. In other words, they've co-opted his message! So I don't think running would be a very logical thing to do. Dean served a worthwhile purpose in helping the Democrats try to win this next election. I don't see him burning his bridges and helping GWB win another four more years.
  • Reply 11 of 72
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

You are correct sir. Go George!

I still don't see evidence that Kerry or Edwards can beat G.W.

I swear to god, I'll never understand how people can be so stupid.
  • Reply 12 of 72
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

His message is part and parcle of the mainstream democratic party. His tenure as governer was clearly as a moderate to conservative.

The picture of Dean as a fire breathing radical was an invention of the media.
  • Reply 13 of 72
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

I swear to god, I'll never understand how people can be so stupid.

Nor can other understand how some don't recognize the existence of very strong Bush support across the country as well.
  • Reply 14 of 72
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rageous

Nor can other understand how some don't recognize the existence of very strong Bush support across the country as well.

That's easily verifiable. I don't think anyone doubts that Bush has very strong support from his base- or a greater percentage of strong support than Kerry and Edwards could muster. But then again, Bush has pissed off the rest of the country lately and you need more than strong supporters to win an election. Just ask Dean today.
  • Reply 15 of 72
    Shawn, very true. I don't dispute that in the least. I just get annoyed when people refuse to recognize the fact that even though they personally dislike Bush, he's still a very strong candidate. It will be a difficult battle to unseat him.
  • Reply 16 of 72
    Quote:

Shawn, very true. I don't dispute that in the least. I just get annoyed when people refuse to recognize the fact that even though they personally dislike Bush, he's still a very strong candidate. It will be a difficult battle to unseat him.

I never said the support was untrue. I was actually commenting on the perplexing fact that anyone likes him at all. The country is full of stupid people. That doesn't make them any easier to understand.
  • Reply 17 of 72
    Ah, that makes sense. If you support Bush, you're stupid.

How ignorantly simplistic.
  • Reply 18 of 72
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Almost 15% of the people who voted for George W. Bush in 2000 thought they were voting for his father, so you be the judge.
  • Reply 19 of 72
    Quote:

How ignorantly simplistic.

Did I say that?

<checks posts>

Nope.
  • Reply 20 of 72
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

I'd never say such a silly thing. Stupidity doesn't cover all of the bases. One has to allow for ignorance, greed, and severe mental illness as well.