Bush disavows responsibility again: with 'those pesky troublesome 'number crunchers"

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Look at this:

White House backs off job-growth forecast

The best part is this . . . .
Quote:

. . . [Admin spokesmen] saying the forecast was the work of number-crunchers and that President Bush was not a statistician.

which means that the president puppetted wrong information fed to him by 'them damned "number crunchers"'

just like his refusing responsibility for the false information on Iraq

For the 'Mission Accomplished" banner

for the hundreds dead . . . tens of thousands including Iraqis

just like his disavowal of his administration economist saying that it is good for service job to flee overseas.

He is appealing to that one base quality that has existed in strength in America: anti-intellectualism.

He knows that the NASCAR crowd will care about jobs but if he blames the "Egg Heads" then he is on their side . . . .

How can anybody respect this man

Comments

• Reply 1 of 54
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Yeah, how can anyone respect a president who doesn't single-handedly conduct exhaustive research on every topic that ever comes up, instead relying on what the professionals relay to him?
  • Reply 2 of 54
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    Quote:

for the hundreds dead . . . tens of thousands including Iraqis

i hate to be nit picky, but which tens of thousands are those?
  • Reply 3 of 54
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Yeah, it was all over the blogosphere this afternoon.

TPM: "The credibility account is close to overdrawn."

Brad DeLong: Two interesting things:

Quote:

1. Edmund L. Andrews still hasn't figured out that the 2.6 million number is derived from a year average number--that the 132.7 million in the forecast is the number of payroll jobs the U.S. is supposed to hit in June and July, that the end-of-year number in the forecast is 134.5 million, and that the U.S. economy is supposed to create 320,000 jobs per month (3.8 million per year).

2. Treasury Secretary John Snow has forgotten that his people in Treasury Economic Policy contributed to, signed off on, and briefed him on the forecast. If he doesn't like it, the time to say so is internally last December, not externally in February.

• Reply 4 of 54
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    You don't demand accountability for official positions put forward by the president?

and when these are proven to be wrong, he disavows his own pronounciation!

and blames someone else!

and you come to his defense for what reason exactly?

President of the United States: you know, the guy who's pronouncements you're supposed to believe that, at least HE takes seriously!!

If a Democrat were to conduct himself this way you'd have gone ballistic, set up Ken Starr and found a stain . . . then impeached him . . .for something completely irrelevant to his performance as president
  • Reply 5 of 54
    actually i'm not a big bush fan. just wondering which tens of thousands were killed in Iraq. i hadn't heard about it.
  • Reply 6 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

I don't know the stats, that's true . . . but many Iraqis died during the invasion, and we never think of them here . . . why?

. . . BTW, I have a very horrible video taken from a hellicopter during the war (it is suppresed by the Government) it will show you a glimpse of what went on . . . if you like I can post it in my iDisk space . . . but rather than that let me just describe it: people at a distance get their whole bodies turned to pulp and jelly while the nochelant pilots say "Roger' . . . it is warfare . .. it's their duty and I'm not judging them . . . but it is unbelievably gruesome
  • Reply 7 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

The ones between the Tigris and Euphrates rivers, for the most part. But seriously, about 10,000 Iraqi civilians were killed in the war. Compared to the 500+ that we've lost, it's tragic.
  • Reply 8 of 54
    the 10,000 are mostly iraqi soldiers, which we don't count because, since they were iraqi soldiers, of course they deserved to die...all the deaths, american and iraqi, are sad statements of humanity....but off my soap box and onto the issue at hand...

when a president makes statements (even made by others, ie. speech writers, policy makers etc) and things go well...the president reaps the benefits (high approval ratings, re-election etc)

when a president makes statements and things go poorly, the president reap the pain (low approval ratings, no re-election, etc)...

what has people concerned here is a pattern of trying to take all the credit when things are good and deflecting all the blame when things go bad...not surprising, that is mostly human nature...but it is a far cry from the days of "the buck stops here"...and it reflects poorly on somebody who sells themselves on honesty and "backbone"

g
  • Reply 9 of 54
    I'm definitely no Bush fan. Government expansion is out of control and he's done nothing but contribute to that...

But that doesn't mean I feel the need to place blame on him for everything, which is a complex many seem to suffer from.
  • Reply 10 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by thegelding

the 10,000 are mostly iraqi soldiers, which we don't count because, since they were iraqi soldiers, of course they deserved to die...all the deaths, american and iraqi, are sad statements of humanity....but off my soap box and onto the issue at hand...

g, actually the number represents civilian deaths. according to iraq body count.com, that number ranges from 8245 to 10089. i don't know how many iraqi soldiers died.
  • Reply 11 of 54
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnJ

i don't know how many iraqi soldiers died.

I don't think I've seen an estimate with a low end below ~12,000, and the high end is usually tens of thousands. I just assume somewhere above 10,000, but I make no guesses beyond that.
  • Reply 12 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by rageous

the need to place blame on him for everything, which is a complex many seem to suffer from.

Yeah . . . it's funny how that seems to be going around!!

I posted the movie in my iDisk

which would be mac user pfflam/Public/Pictures/HELLi.mov

I don't really know how to tell you the path more than that (hardly ever use my iDisk). . . but it is 4.6Megs and iDisk is slow as all-get-up . . .. let me know if you can't get it or if I need to post anything else for you to access it . . . it is not a pretty sight . . . though if it leaves you uneffected at all well . . . what can I say?!?
  • Reply 13 of 54
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    I guess the thing that is striking about this to me is that Bush's supporters often point to his "character" as his best trait. The idea seems to be that particulars of policy not withstanding, the man is a straight shooter, honest, plain spoken and moral.

But how does that square with a guy who never ever takes responsibility for his actions and never ever admits he's wrong?

Those qualities don't strike me as very admirable. Can anybody name me a time that Bush has stepped up and said, in whatever words, "The buck stops here"? Can anybody name me a time that Bush has said "I made a mistake, I take full responsibility"?

Isn't that what we would expect from a staight up guy?
  • Reply 14 of 54
    sent the .mov to Giant . . .he'll be able to figure this posting thing out
  • Reply 15 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

Isn't that what we would expect from a staight up guy?

ding ding ding....we have a winner....

yes it is what we would expect, and no, it is not what we are getting

g
  • Reply 16 of 54
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Here's pfflam's video of war for you guys

http://www.xmission.com/~knhmeads/22...ter_kills.mpeg

[edit: new link to someone else's host]
  • Reply 17 of 54
    seen that video. it's ugly, but it's war. is war somehow more noble if you were to run up to their face and shoot them? I don't really see how it is....

and pfflam:

love the use of the eye rolling. you really showed me!
  • Reply 18 of 54
    that's actually from afghanastan.
  • Reply 19 of 54
    gilschgilsch Posts: 1,995member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rageous

seen that video. it's ugly, but it's war. is war somehow more noble if you were to run up to their face and shoot them? I don't really see how it is....

Actually it would be more noble to kill someone in hand to hand combat as opposed to killing him from a distance with overwhelming high-caliber firepower. Assuming those were soldiers too.

Re: the video, do we know for a fact they were enemy combatants? It's very ugly regardless.

Re: the "injured" enemy combatant. Not taking sides on this at all. Isn't it against international conventions to put a downed combatant "out of his misery" like that?
  • Reply 20 of 54
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by giant

Here's pfflam's video of war for you guys

www.fireantav.com/helli.mov

That just seems like a video game to me.

\