Top of the line PowerMac G5. I have been saving for

<looks at watch>

4.5 years...
  • Reply 42 of 70
    [quote]Originally posted by G5_guy:

<strong>Top of the line PowerMac G5. I have been saving for

&lt;looks at watch&gt;

4.5 years...</strong><hr></blockquote>

You were saving for a G5 before there were G4s? Wow, that's planning ahead!
  • Reply 43 of 70
    glurxglurx Posts: 1,031member
    If there's a dual 1.6 GHz G5 I'll probably buy one.

A G4 iBook would tempt me too.

I'm not really expecting either.
  • Reply 44 of 70
    Actually, I would be plenty happy with the LCD iMac. Because all I currently have is a IIci with a Sonnets upgrade card to bring it to a 68040 running at 80 MHz.

I would be plenty happy with that, especially if it comes with the G4 like I think it will.
  • Reply 45 of 70
    I'm broke as hell. The only thing I'll be able to buy is iPennyCandy. Right now I'm on my iMac DV (400mhz, lime). That's what I'll be using for a while (not by choice). If I had money I'd be getting an iBook (God I want one so bad.)

[ 12-14-2001: Message edited by: scorpiony2j ]</p>
  • Reply 46 of 70
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    I'f the G5 is really a G5 (not a slightly modified and faster G4) AND my wife gives me the OK, then I'll be buying one.

- Mark
  • Reply 47 of 70
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by sc_markt:

<strong>I'f the G5 is really a G5 (not a slightly modified and faster G4) AND my wife gives me the OK, then I'll be buying one.

- Mark</strong><hr></blockquote>

depends If both a G4 LCD iMac and a G5 come out then I will likely have no idea what to get. I'm sure the iMac is going to be awesome so we'll see.

really need a superdrive though
  • Reply 48 of 70
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    slightly revised plan...

i will buy an imac if the following conditions come true:

a.) it is a g4 (probably any reasonable speed)

b.) if i can sell my current imac dv se 400 graphite (512 mb ram, upgraded to 20 gb hard drive), scsi 12x10x32x lacie burner and MAYBE my orange firewire/scsi converter and/or my iSub (depends on whether the new imac has some sort of built-in subwoofer) for at least HALF the price of the mid or top end imac.

anyone looking to buy?

p.s. anyone know if i can "test the waters" by putting that setup on ebay, set my reserve price insanely high, and see how high the auction goes?

[ 12-15-2001: Message edited by: rok ]</p>
  • Reply 49 of 70
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    While I love my Ti500, I'd be tempted to replace my Beige G3 Frankenstein desktop with a new G5.

Playing with a dual 800 and Cinema display at a local store got me drooling... Even though it didn't feel much faster, I could tell it had staying power for all my high-tech needs.

So the real question is will it be a G5, or something completely new and revolutionary?
  • Reply 50 of 70
    The only thing that will make me give up my upgraded Yosemite (Sonnet Encore G4 500 MHz, 3 hard drives) is a dual G5. But if it IS introduced anytime soon, I'm SO all over it! Hopefully Apple will keep the price below $4K, but I'll have one no matter what.
  • Reply 51 of 70
    [quote]Originally posted by rok:

<strong>p.s. anyone know if i can "test the waters" by putting that setup on ebay, set my reserve price insanely high, and see how high the auction goes?[ 12-15-2001: Message edited by: rok ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Sure. It'll cost you $1.30, and keep in mind that prices will probably drop upon introduction of new models.

Bonus is that you can always offer to sell to the high bidder even if your reserve isn't met, and make offers...

Alex
  • Reply 52 of 70
    [quote]Originally posted by Xool:

<strong>So the real question is will it be a G5, or something completely new and revolutionary?</strong><hr></blockquote>

&lt;sigh&gt;. The G5 isn't even new and revolutionary anymore? Along what lines were you thinking?

Alex
  • Reply 53 of 70
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,027member
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>

I'm just gunna leave it. So many people have already posted in this one so I don't think it makes sense to close it now.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Fair enough. I figured the beast had already grown too large.

As for me, I'll get a G5. But, an LCD iMac with a G4 and a Superdrive? I don't know, that sounds pretty good. And I'm sure that spending, say, $1599 vs. over $4000 makes sense.

Nah, **** it. I'm getting a G5. You wanna know why? I want one.
  • Reply 54 of 70
    Yeah I know. An LCD iMac with a G4 would be awfully tempting. I'm in the same boat. I think I'd get the G5 though since it's sure to wipe the floor with a G4 with all the new mobo features. I'm sure Apple will make my head turn with the new iMac.
  • Reply 55 of 70
    [quote] You were saving for a G5 before there were G4s? Wow, that's planning ahead! <hr></blockquote>

Well I wasn't saving for a G5 the whole time, just a new computer. I've just never had a computer seem good enough to buy. And I have gotten several free computers so I never had to spend my saved up money.
  • Reply 56 of 70
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by SDW2001:

<strong>

Nah, **** it. I'm getting a G5. You wanna know why? I want one.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well that's always a good reason.
  • Reply 57 of 70
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Dammit, this three week wait is going to KILL me!

I'm so stoked about the prospect of a new iMac that I can't see straight.

The timing couldn't be better, either. I have the money (well, I will by mid-late January) and my iMac will be two years old in February. Plus, if the math holds true and they maintain the pattern of bumping up the speeds 100MHz per refresh cycle (like they've been doing for the past year or so with the iMacs), I'll get (at LEAST) an 800MHz iMac, officially doubling what I have now, which, in my opinion, is a worthwhile, justified upgrade for me to make.

I wasn't interested in going from 400MHz to 600MHz or whatever...especially with the same body, screen size, etc.

But all the pieces are falling into place: bigger screen, LCD, combo drive, twice the MHz, etc.

DAMMIT...January needs to hurry up!!!

• Reply 58 of 70
    Well I am a college junior and being a Poli Sci major/Econ, Spanish minor as well as starting Russian soon :eek: I have no need for a "power machine" to run PhotoShop, Maya, and all the other cool stuff you guys love so much I would be content with a new iMac. I WANT GOOD SPECS TOO! If the iMac did not have a kick ass design (I am sure I do not have to worry about that :cool: ), a G4 at at least 733 MHZ, 40 GB HD (this is negotiable), 256 MB RAM (though adding RAM is not a prob these days), a good video card (16 MB Min.) and a SuperDrive would be cool but not a neccesity, all for $1500, though I would go to $1700, I would be first in line. Oh yeah, 17" LCD would be cool, but I could live with "15, but would NOT buy "13 or "12. If the iMac does not come close to this (say it was a G4 500, 128 MB RAM, 20 GB, 8MB video card, you know not much of an upgrade except for the design and LCD), I would pass and go for a middle-of-the-road tower, but having to buy the monitor would cost me the money I would use on an iPod.

If I could get the above iMac, still keeping my current iBook (see my sig. ) and a revised iPod with a 10 GB HD, with or without the rumored "PDA lite" stuff (address, scheduler, etc). I would be in iHeaven.
  • Reply 59 of 70
    [quote]Originally posted by thegelding:

<strong>kids need a computer with larger hd and more speed to work with imovies and their new camcorder...would like dvd burning capabilities...

if imac lcd has 60 gig hd and superdrive at top of the line...will buy that the day it is announced...if no superdrive in imac, might move up to tower, but like the all in one style for the kids....g</strong><hr></blockquote>

This is one reason apple may not release a superdrive in the imac
  • Reply 60 of 70
    I don't have money to buy anything right now, I just want Apple to rule!

Powermac G5s would speed up the availability of CPU upgrades for my Sawtooth.

G4 iMacs would lead to a proliferation of Altivec optimized software, which I could happily use on my G4.

Apollo Titanium would just be so damn cool!

GHz Sahara iBook would be the perfect student laptop, and it would give Apple the presence they need in the .edu market. Right now laptops are everywhere, but the iBook stands out...however it needs to be more special, larger display, faster, better, stronger, cheaper, and cooler. How about some tripped-out colors for it? Ice-blue, aquamarine, sunspot-red? C'mon Apple, give it some STYLE!