Safari Moving Download Icon

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Sorry if I am posting this in the wrong forums, but here:

Ok, I just noticed this, when you download something in Safari 1.2, you see a download icon that looks like a document with a progress bar under a safari icon, right? Ok here is the thing, while you download the file, the progress bar in the icon as well as the safari download window move. how do they get that icon to move? anyone else having this or is it just me? this is totally cool! how do they do that????

anyone know how to make an icon move on the desktop? frames? what? is this new in panther? am i the first one to discover this?

--Leo

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    I just saw this yesterday. I suppose that it's probably a custom icon thath Safari changes whenever it reaches milestones in the download's progress.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Stoo

I suppose that it's probably a custom icon thath Safari changes whenever it reaches milestones in the download's progress.

Correct.

The Finder is smart enough to update icons when it receives an event that a file has changed. Safari is just broadcasting such events to the Finder to notify that it needs to update the icon.

Moving to Software.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Safari is not the first to do this per se, although it is the first app I've seen do it in the finder. Photoshop, for instance, places a progress bar on its dock icon while it is applying filters, etc. It is a cool trick.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Internet explorer did it before Safari was even out.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    No kidding jeez folks IE did this in OS 9 years ago. Safari just looks all Aqua.

Hopefully they incorporate more of this a la the I guess now defunct Kineticon; live feedback is cool.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    IE had a 'mid-download' icon, but I don't recall it ever changing on the fly like a progress bar...
  • Reply 7 of 7
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

IE had a 'mid-download' icon, but I don't recall it ever changing on the fly like a progress bar...

I think it did.

I also think iCab had this...