Opinion of the Dual 1.8

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    Did you get your G5, rentedmule?

Dual 2.0 refurbs showed up today ---- $2400 vs. 3000 new, 2700 EDU new. I'm still waiting for a $$ transfer or I would have jumped on this today.
  • Reply 22 of 30
    I hate to even answer the question. I got my monitor within four days of ordering. The computer never showed up. After a lot of tracking it down, it turns out that the damn thing came from Sacramento to here in Utah with the monitor, but instead of both being put on a local truck to my house, only the monitor was.

The computer itself then showed up FOUR DAYS LATER in ORLANDO, FLORIDA! I ranted at FedEx, who was completely unhelpful. They put it back on a long-haul truck (instead of overnighting on a plane as I asked) and at this very moment, 10 days after the initial receiving date, I am looking at a Web tracking page that says it is FINALLY back on a local truck.

Maybe it'll be there when I get home. I'm pretty much past caring at this point, though.

Thanks for asking. Now where did I put that flask? ...

edit:

Home called. Computer there. Flask already empty. Boss unhappy. Have to send computer back to pay mortage?

Seriously, though, I won't be happy until I hook it up and turn it on with no problems.
  • Reply 23 of 30
    machemmachem Posts: 319member
    hmmm. That sucks rocks. Hopefully all will be well now, the warmth of a new machine (literally) will drive away the sour taste in your mouth.

I'm only a few miles from Sacratomato so hopefully that won't happen to me.
  • Reply 24 of 30
    eds66eds66 Posts: 119member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rentedmule

I hate to even answer the question. I got my monitor within four days of ordering. The computer never showed up. After a lot of tracking it down, it turns out that the damn thing came from Sacramento to here in Utah with the monitor, but instead of both being put on a local truck to my house, only the monitor was.

The computer itself then showed up FOUR DAYS LATER in ORLANDO, FLORIDA! I ranted at FedEx, who was completely unhelpful. They put it back on a long-haul truck (instead of overnighting on a plane as I asked) and at this very moment, 10 days after the initial receiving date, I am looking at a Web tracking page that says it is FINALLY back on a local truck.

Maybe it'll be there when I get home. I'm pretty much past caring at this point, though.

Thanks for asking. Now where did I put that flask? ...

edit:

Home called. Computer there. Flask already empty. Boss unhappy. Have to send computer back to pay mortage?

Seriously, though, I won't be happy until I hook it up and turn it on with no problems.

That really does blow. I get very, very upset when things like that happen to me.
  • Reply 25 of 30
    Hey Where did you find the refurbished G5 Dual 2.0?
  • Reply 26 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by ByteMe

Hey Where did you find the refurbished G5 Dual 2.0?

Dual refurbs (1.8s and 2.0s) show up about once a day, for an hour or two (Apple's DB is clearly able to tell when new orders == available; or at least they approximate that). Right now, there are no duals, but there is a single 1.8 refurb (haven't seen that one before) for $1700.
  • Reply 27 of 30
    MayB I am looking at the wrong place can you post a link.
  • Reply 28 of 30
    machemmachem Posts: 319member
    www.apple.com ->

Store ->

Special Deals (lower left hand side, bright red "Save" tag).
  • Reply 29 of 30
    Rentedmule:

How is the New G5... everything in order?

Give us an update
  • Reply 30 of 30
    A few things:

I'm going from a PB 266 mhz G3 running 8.6 to a dual 1.8 ghz G5 running OS X (10.3)

It's like driving my father-in-law's Audi A6 2.7 twin turbo down the road after driving my college year's 1986 Dodge Colt.

It's stock (512/160/Nvidia) but wow. Wow.

I'm using a new Mitsubishi 17" Diamond Plus 74 CRT from the Apple Store (I blew the wad on the G5) and it works quite well, especially after the less than spectacular Wallstreet LCD.

I've opened every app in the dock at the same time to try and get iTunes to stutter (8.6 normality) to no avail. While I've seen it occaisionally on friends' Macs, I've never used OS X extensively. Anyone notice how pretty it is? I use XP at work and just the appearance of it drives me crazy after spending evenings on OS X.

There is a learning curve, as I'm sure everyone knows, going from Classic to OS X, but no real complaints so far. I really like the super clean interfaces of Safari, Mail and iTunes. (I opened the Terminal once and started sweating, then closed it in a panic.)

I'm also hacking my own crossover Ethernet cable to transfer stuff from the Powerbook to "Big Papa". (HD name, though my wife says I should rename it Mistress because I spend more time with the computer than with her.) It's only about 2 gigs worth of stuff. (HD on the PB is only a total of 4. Hell, the smallest iPod has a drive that big.)

My DSL line is being processed and should be available in a few days. (Damn dial-up should be illegal with a machine this nice.)

Honestly, and in the hopes my wife doesn't stumble on this forum, it really is more machine than I need at the moment. But considering I had the PB for five years and I'll likely be keeping this one that long, I figure I'll need the power eventually.