Half-Life 2 Petition

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Don't know if this has been posted before, but the more people that see and sign this the better.

http://www.petitiononline.com/hl2mac/petition.html

Do it for the children.

HL2 seems to be the only high publicity game for 2004/2005 that's not coming to the Mac; World of Warcraft, Doom III, and Unreal Tournament 2004 (for which a demo is already available) are all coming to our favorite platform.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I just signed: "Don't let Doom III own your sales"

I haven't seen any news about Doom III mac...could you point me to a link?
  • Reply 2 of 13
    A simple google search string of "mac doom iii" should give you plenty. Heck, the Doom III engine was first demoed at a MacWorld.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    My question is whether most macs could handle hl2?

As far as I know, most of the eye candy is due to direct X and besides that most macs come with lower end video cards.

Don't get me wrong, I would love HL2 for the mac, but my 1.5 year old dual G4 power mac runs games such as shadowbane and everquest like a slide show. Only a few G5 gamers would run this game well and that isn't much in the way of sales for vavle (or whoever makes the game)

How are high end games playing on everyone elses machines?

I would love to ditch the PC...
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

A simple google search string of "mac doom iii" should give you plenty. Heck, the Doom III engine was first demoed at a MacWorld.

So was Halo's.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

So was Halo's.

Touché.

I don't think anyone will be buying id any time soon, though.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    HL2 isn't even coming out for windows in the foreseeable future. It would be shocking if a mac version came out.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    HL2 comes out at around April/May
  • Reply 8 of 13
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I have a 867 SP G4 QS, and I run all games I've played games just fine. It must be your video cards, I have an old Geforce 3 TI (which is still an awesome card), and I've never had any problems playing games on my QS.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Animaniac

Don't know if this has been posted before, but the more people that see and sign this the better.

http://www.petitiononline.com/hl2mac/petition.html

Do it for the children.

HL2 seems to be the only high publicity game for 2004/2005 that's not coming to the Mac; World of Warcraft, Doom III, and Unreal Tournament 2004 (for which a demo is already available) are all coming to our favorite platform.

I won't sign that petition because the information being provided is stupid. #1) I don't have a PC for Games, and Unreal Tournament 2003 is an old game, so why put it up there anyway? I don't get that at all. Did a ten year old write that petition? What a stupid argument to get a game ported. I have a PC to Play games? If you have a PC to play games they are not going to port it. They can already sell you a game. It's stupid. They'll just sell you the PC version. What's in it for them now? What will probably happen is MacSoft, or Aspyr will probably port it later. They do a great job on games anyway.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    That petition was written a long time ago IIRC. Valve has not set a release date for hl2(other than september 2003). April seems unlikely without an announcement yet.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

#1) I don't have a PC for Games, and Unreal Tournament 2003 is an old game, so why put it up there anyway?

No...2004 will be coming for Mac and PC simultaneously.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    stevesteve Posts: 523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JohnHenry

My question is whether most macs could handle hl2?

Definitely.

Half-Life 2 is one of the most scalable engines I've ever seen. It's workable on a 700MHz PIII with one of those crap-ass on-board GPU's. The polygonal models and textures merely decrease in complexity with distance. No fog. Very elegant. That said, it's been optimized over a period of five years for the X86 architecture.

God knows what will happen on PPC. On my 1.25GHz iMac, I get less than ten frames per second in UT2004 with the lowest possible resolution and every setting at its minimum.

With all of the above said, online petitions just don't work. They are a means for whiners to get some sense of satisfaction over issues that are out of their hands. A quick fix. They solve nothing. You're wasting your time.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Steve

God knows what will happen on PPC. On my 1.25GHz iMac, I get less than ten frames per second in UT2004 with the lowest possible resolution and every setting at its minimum.

The thing with Ut2004 is that it is buggy. Whatever settings I put the game on I get practically the same results. There are a number of bugs to iron out. Also remember that UT2004 slowed down with the update from 10.3 to 10.3.2, hopefully is 10.3.3 these problems will be sorted out.

HL2 is very scalable as stated. The trouble with porting it to opengl may be difficult and some of the graphical effects may not make the transition to mac. However, I think HL2 will use opengl just as much as D3D - and to the same effect, opengl may even be preferred. The leaked HL2 runs in opengl only, it does not run under D3D, it can't - as far as I know (but the option is there).